New stairs please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
We were getting a bit tired of the old (and possibly dangerous) open stairs, so decided on a refurb.

The initial photo is missing the existing newel post that extended up to the ceiling and the single "plank" bannister - I forgot to take a snap due to my impatience :roll:

Stairs003.jpg

Stairs001.jpg

The treads needed a slight "trimming" so the new base rail and bannister could match into the top newel post.

Stairs007.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist to see how many comments my t-shirt would summon! BTW it was a gift from my painter & decorator bro-in-law :shock:

Stairs024.jpg

Base rail and new bannister in situ along with 12mm mdf infill. Just realised that test paint patch is a bit eerie!! :shock:

Stairs031.jpg

More 12mm mdf infills! Legs not mine - eldest boys; his are hairier than mine! :wink:

Stairs041.jpg

You guessed it - more mdf!

Stairs094.jpg

Got sick of this little sucker following me around all day, so snapped him too. :D

Stairs126.jpg

Cassie (AKA Skinhead since her summer pruning) casting a critical eye.

Stairs045.jpg

Trial fit of spindles courtesy of Richard Burbidge.

Stairs090.jpg

Stairs180.jpg

Few coats of Indian Rosewood (looks like Walnut on the treads) on the bannisters followed by liberal coatings of Liberon wax, several coats of Brilliant White Satinwood, home made finials on the newels, and 4 coats of diamond hard on the treads (will eventually have a central carpet incase there are any H&S folks about :wink: ) and Robert's your mother's brother! :D :D

Stairs174.jpg

Stairs175.jpg

Stairs178.jpg

All comments as usual, are readily accepted and digested. :D

Thanks all

Mark

Mark, Well done indeed. So refreshing to see someone making the most of what is already there. A lot would rip out and replace. If you don't feel very pleased with that then you should. Give yourself a pat on the back.

xy

Well done Woody ,quite a transformation and no snobbery with the mdf , lookin good .I see the painter bruv in laws inspiration finishes it off very well too. Done at snail pace , but why not . Cheers !

Latest posts

Back