New simplified plane design ignored by traditionalists

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I just spotted this on eBay - for anyone who just wants reminding that it's not all full of treasure - I wonder if anyone could get more basic than this in plane design:

$(KGrHqIOKioE9JDy63yJBPitU!nzRg~~60_12.JPG

Strangely, it was unsold, even at the low starting price of £3.99! :wink:

I'd recognise that trademark Black Ball and Castor hand plane brand any day. There was a Door Knob brand too, but the two brands are very easily mistaken for one another. :wink:

bugbear":l6ewzq7e said:
It looks home-made to me - a price-led factory design would be bent sheet metal, not crudely fastened thick metal.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... Plane.html
BugBear
The Orange Block Planet does give them a run for their money under these conditions (I did do some planing with the #65 and #60 ½, and they really did not produce any better results on this piece of pine).
Bit annoying if you've just spent out on a Lie Nielsens #60 ½ :shock: :shock: :D

I'm somewhat dubious about that review's claim that the sole has been precision lapped to within the tolerance stated! It works out at 0.1 angstroms, or a tenth the width of an atom.

jimi43":3vt89obc said:
I reckon...if you painted that bright green with black knobs and called it a Fester it would sell for £100 as a deluxe paint scraper!

:wink:

Jim

Sorry but you are seriously underselling here
At least £150 with the correct shade of green :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back