New shed advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am beginning to think about upgrading my 10 by 8 shed. It is a little too narrow and short for my needs. I can fit a 12 by 8 into the same space, no more. I think this will give me the room I need. I would like a little more head room as I often bash my head!
I won't have the time and haven't got the skill to make my own so am looking to buy one and here all the questions start.
1 pitch or pent roof
2 shiplap? Looks good, is that the best kind?
3 what thickness walls and floor?
4 can anyone recommend an online seller or two I can trust?
5 is insulation recommended, I am confused when I find any sellers that do insulate, some talk about paper.
6 what kind of finish, is pressure treated or something else better?

You can probably tell I haven't got experience of buying a shed, I inherited mine.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions,

Stuart.

Unless there is something wrong with your old shed, or you particularly want a new shed from your description it should be a simple job to extend your existing shed. Post a picture and let's have a look. This is probably something a local joiner can do for a fraction of a new shed.

The current shed has one side that will need replacing as it got damp. How would I look up a local joiner, never to sue what to put into Google. I could get one round for some advice.

- What is your budget?
- If possible you want to go for a cabin.
- I'd definately go with pitch roof, good for storage, feels way more spacious, and imo looks nicer.
- As for insulation, it's a good thing to have, but if you're doing ok with your current shed, I wouldn't bother. If you're getting a log cabin (which have much thicker walls than sheds, you'll probably be fine)

Here is the sort of thing I'd be looking at if I was you. It's obviously more expensive, but worth it imo.

renne_1.jpg

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/log-cabi ... -34mm.html

(I can't vouch for the quality of the seller or product, it's just an example)

That one looks nice, something more better looking in the garden wouldn't be a bad thing. I can certainly look at these ones as well.

I extended my 10 x 6 to a 14 x 8 and found it a tricky operation on my own, I also raised the roof by 9". In hindsight, although I'm very pleased with the result, I think I'd have been better buying a new one.

John

I have a single-car garage (17 x 8.5 feet.) Nowhere near big enough. So I am trying to complete a 10 x 6 shed, just for the hand bench, and the lathe.
I probably still won't have enough room then!

So best of luck if you're doing everything in a 12 x 8l shed.

Cheers :D

I have about 8 x 5 feet in the corner of my garage, I'm so jealous of all this space you're talking about!

Make sure you seal your shed with everything you can find - spiders *shudder*

Seriously, I have a phobia, that's why I'm in my garage and not a shed. (I had the garage door sealed up on the inside 10 years ago.)

I empathise with you with regard to your phobia. Personally, as long as spiders leave me alone, then they are welcome. They do kill flies and beetles, which include woodworm of course.

As for a car, my garage is not big enough to house one of any size. Even a Mini I would need to push in the final few feet, because the garage isn't wide enough to open a car door inside, and I wouldn't be able to get out of the car! So my car stays outside.

The garage is big enough to use as a hand-woodwork shop, and initially I should have is restricted myself to traditional handwork, and just bought a lathe and a bandsaw. I guess I'd have been just as happy doing that, as I am using a mix of machine and handwork. My main gripe on space is that handling large jobs forces me out onto the drive, which means I need good weather.

So I would say that for handwork only, a single-car garage is roomy, but a double-garage would be ideal.

Anyhow, I wish you many happy hours in your shop; sans spiders. :)

I'd settle for one of those garages. I had one that size in the garden of my second house. It wasn't too bad condition and I considered dismantling it and taking with me when I moved here. However the agent said it was a good selling point, so best leave it. I still regret not having it moved!
I think a cool £3.5k is about manageable; but at my age? Nah.. Too late now!

Latest posts

Back