New Scroller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcann

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to health problems, I have hade to give up larger projects, so looking for something I could do sitting down, I thought I would dig out the Diamond scrollsaw I got from ebay many years ago, it was an impulse buy, poorly listed and I only paid £10 for it. It turned up in unused condition, and has been under the bench ever since.
I am finding it difficult to sit and use it due to my posture, I would appreciate any input into the idea of making a stand, so as to have the table sloping towards me at around 30deg. I know I will get a lap full of dust, but am I missing anything.
Martin

Hi Martin and welcome.
You'll get plenty of advice from a great bunch of guys and girls, lots of members with allot of experience. I'm a beginner, but I too have a Diamond saw. Could you bolt / screw a couple of angled blocks to the rear legs? It would give you the 30deg's, you could fix this to a bench or table of suitable height.

Gary

Cannot see any reason why this would not work from a cutting point of view, provided the saw is firmly attached to your base. The reason it probably isn't done routinely is due to practicality - saws are heavy and can be difficult to move. They are typically bolted down to avoid further movement and vibration. It will also make changing the blade potentially more problematic since the table may now obscure your viewpoint for the lower blade clamp.

If you are simply going to put angled blocks on the back of a board the saw sits on, make sure those 'feet' are secured firmly to both the angled board above them and the flat board they rest on - saws can move in cutting and catching one as it falls would be both difficult and potentially dangerous!

You can also buy a bench or stand which in most cases i.e. three legged with adjustment on the rear leg ,they can cost up to £ 150 .00 so the wood bench may be your best option .

Thanks for replies, I had not thought about blade changing, I can see it could be difficult as the table is large, but it has a small removable insert around the blade so I can at least see the clamp.
I think its time to knock up a prototype stand.

martin

@mjmcann:

If it's any help Sir, I have a bad back and often have problems with standing for a length of time (sitting is not too bad but even so I have to "move about a bit" from time to time).

So I've set up my metal working lathe, my small disc/belt sander, the small bandsaw, and my new scroll saw all to be worked at from a sitting position.

All are fixed to small metal "single pedestal typists's tables" with lockable castors, and I've simply added thick ply to the top of each. All machines are bolted down through the ply/metal tops, and in the case of my scrollsaw (which is/was a bit of a vibrator) I've bolted through thick rubber tap washers as well, to act as shock absorbers/reduce noise.

I sit at the tables either with a very old adjustable typists chair (on castors but without arms) or an old "draugtsman's" wooden stool (no castors, no arms, but swivelling and with height adjustment).

All the above came from various jumble/SH sales.

Works fine for me - let me know if you'd like pix.

Best of luck,
Krgds
AES

Back