New Scroller Struggling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Jet JSS-16 variable speed and am really struggling to cut shapes in 1/2" thick oak. I bought some spiral blades as I thought they would be easier to cut with but I can't fit them. Every time I put one on it would come out of the clamp as soon as I engaged the quick release tension knob. So I used the blades it came with. The wood wants to lift all the time and I can't cut much of a curve without breaking a blade even with the finest tooth blade.

I know I will have to get some better blades and will order some from the chap in America if I keep the machine but surely the blades supplied should be capable enough to cut some basic shapes.

What are Axminster like with returns? I am thinking about asking for a refund as at the moment the machine is no better than the cr@ppy perform power one I bought years ago.

I have never used spiral blades but from what you are saying and what I've read on other scrolling forums the blade clamp needs to be tightened up some more, it seems to be a common problem with spirals without flat ends. Have you fitted the other blades the right way? it's easy to fit them upside down, we've all done it, some more than once :oops: also check you have enough tension on the blade it should move no more than 3mm when pressed against. Steve Good has a computer programme on his blog site that may be of some use.
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2 ... tware.html

Also Olson blades are very good and are available in this country, here's a link to one supplier I have used.
http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk ... ?cPath=103

I have tightened the clamps to the max and I don't want to round off the head so I don't want to force it. I have made sure that the blades teeth are pointing down. The tension is determined by the quick release knob on the top at the back and I have turned it once before clamping it down but when I tried 2 turns I couldn't get it down and didn't want to force it and break a blade before I had even tried cutting.

Your saw looks very like all the other Asian made saws including my
SIP. To tension the blade, back off the adjusting knob, put the lever down then retention using the knob. Doing it this way means you cant over tension the blade. Your lifting problem is normally a blade in upside or forcing the wood against the blade you need to allow the blade to do the work.

There is a lot of information on blades on the USA forums and Mikes website. The general thoughts seem to be spirals are dificult to control.
I only use the Flying Dutchman blades from Mike in the states at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ I have found nothing that comes close to them. The last couple of gross cost me about $3 shipping and arrived within a week.

Like any other tool it will take some time to get used to your saw .There is a lot of information out there and it will pay dividens to read everything you can.

Mouse":169kzdr1 said:
Your saw looks very like all the other Asian made saws including my
SIP. To tension the blade, back off the adjusting knob, put the lever down then retention using the knob. Doing it this way means you cant over tension the blade. Your lifting problem is normally a blade in upside or forcing the wood against the blade you need to allow the blade to do the work.

There is a lot of information on blades on the USA forums and Mikes website. The general thoughts seem to be spirals are dificult to control.
I only use the Flying Dutchman blades from Mike in the states at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ I have found nothing that comes close to them. The last couple of gross cost me about $3 shipping and arrived within a week.

Like any other tool it will take some time to get used to your saw .There is a lot of information out there and it will pay dividens to read everything you can.

Hi Mouse

I have just had a look arround the website you linked to and the order forms are for US and Canada only. Do you have to contact him to get the delivery for here in the UK

Cheers

Dave

Hi I would not recommend the use of spiral blades to a newby.Never use the blades that come with the saw,bin them.I use Mike's blades all the time you will not get better service and price from him plus he is more than helpfull to any one.Use the order form on his site and they will be with you in no time.The postage is only three dollars.Hope this helps Mal

www.maddogwoodart.co
http://www.folksy.com/shops/puzzlesinwood

I ordered a variety set, from him. Came swiftly from the states and had a good selection of blades.
I have not used any spiral ones yet, not really much use for what I do with my saw.
If your getting lifting, of the work piece, check the blade is correctly postioned. Checked the movement on the arms is straight, if you have a poor bearing etc, it won't be lifting parallel or straight and thus get pinching.
Also check your table is securely set and not creeping.
Work slow and let the blade cut and do the work as said above. It can be tempting to "drive" the wood through, but it wrecks blades and will break them.

Cheapy blade that come with the saws are best binned as stated bove.

I have had some success with the spiral blades when I managed to get them to stay in. I can see why some people don't like them as you have to make sure they don't wander off and they do seem to give a less smooth cut but I do like the fact you can push and pull the work piece.

I have a problem with the scrollsaw though. It won't start properly until the speed is up at at least 900. That doesn't seem right to me.

I have bought some Olson blades and am going to try those before going to the American option.

Anybody had a similar problem with a Jet?

Dave,
(US and Canada only.) That is for the S/H cost. It does NOT say that I ship only the them 2 countries. I sell to at least 65 different countries.
FD Mike

Back