New saw, but what kind?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy*miller

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting rid of a workmate type device I have which turns a normal circular saw into a kind of radial arm saw. It did what was required but takes up too much space in the garage so it's on ebay.

Now I want to replace it with something that sits on the workbench, so it's either going to be a proper (but bench mounted) radial arm saw, a compound mitre saw (sliding or not??), a band saw (but I've never used one) or even (but probably not) a really good scroll saw.

It will be used for general DIY stuff, making shelves, chicken runs, garden frames etc - nothing desperately precise or too large. The chunkiest timber it would need to cut is 4 x 2, and the widest would be about 6 x 1.

Any thoughts??

Hi windy

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest a sliding compound mitre saw is what you need, which are available to suit all budgets. A radial arm is going to set you back some serious money if bought new.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks! There are so many forums on the internet but this looks like a really good one.

The only problem I see with a sliding mitre saw is how far the sliding bars stick out at the back. My workbench top is a 600mm kitchen worktop, and it's against a wall, so that could be a restriction. That's why I was wondering about the radial arm - all the gubbins is in front, as it were, but I could swing it round for storage. They seem to come up on ebay pretty regularly, but then maybe the old ones you see there wouldn't be a good move anyway.

Hello Windy and welcome

Have you looked at the Dewalt DW707 sliding compound mitre saw. Should cut the sizes of timber you stated and the sliding bars do not stick out at the back
DEW-DW707.jpg

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?opt ... edium=base

Cheers :D
Tony

If the widest you want to go is 150mm then a non-sliding MS would do it.

Cheers, Ed

Looks good. Is Dewalt still a reliable brand for saws? The only Dewalt tool I have is a jigsaw, and it's the only tool I have that I don't like using. I was going to buy a Bosch (as I always do for portable power tools) but this was at the height of Changing Rooms and I was seduced by Handy Andy and his bright yellow tools!

Windy*miller":31u09c4y said:
Looks good. Is Dewalt still a reliable brand for saws?
I believe so - that is one of my reasons for choosing Dewalt. Have to say I also may have been swayed by the fact that most professionals I had seen had the bright yellow devils :D. I also took into account spares and service availability - DW scored high to my mind. Then of course there is the budget consideration !

This is the first scms I have owned and therefore cannot comment on the others. I am sure other forum members have owned several different manufacturers saws and be able to offer better guidance :lol:

Cheers :D
Tony

My Dewalt 712 is fantastic - definitely my best and most useful investment.

If you'll mainly be wanting to cut materials to length or square up/mitre the ends then, yes, by all means, a mitre saw is what you want. DeWalt's mitre saws are still of excellent quality. The only real thing they have going against them is the price (looking at the larger sliding saws) compared to some of the other brands (excluding Festool, of course).

A bandsaw is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment you could have in your workshop. Okay, it won't cross-cut or mitre as accurately as a mitre saw but, you can cut curves, rip thin and thick timber without risking kickback, veneers, tenons and other joints. Scroll saws are great for very small/very thin items and tight radii curves and shapes.

For what it's worth, I find most mitre saws to be more accurate, user friendly and a lot safer than most radial arm saws.

Hey, Windy! :D

Do you have a particular budget in mind for this saw? I'd definitely opt for a chop saw, given the projects you have in mind.

If you're on a tight (sub £100) budget, I can recommend B&Q's MacAllister range of chop saws. A sliding one will set you back around £80 or so. £30 - £50 for a non sliding.

Sliding chop saws can be less accurate than fixed ones, as they rely on bearings for their movement. These can allow some play in the system which can throw accuracy off but do allow for greater cutting capacity.

Fixed (non-sliding) ones are generally more accurate but are limited to cutting timber slightly narrower than their blade diameter.

I've had a sliding B&Q one for 3 years now. Never let me down and is plenty accurate for what you would need. I think mines around 85cm, front to back.

HTH.

Cheers
Bryn 8)

Good evening and welcome Windy, try "Toolstation" they have a reasonably priced SCMS that will cut a width of 17" very handy, that, and as you are not too concerned with absolute accuracy, should suit you nicely.

Regards,

Rich.

Hello Windy.

I would recommend either DeWalt or Makita as both are popular and can be bought used off fleabay with bit of homework and luck you will pick up a good saw.

Personally I wouldn't buy any non branded saw fro the likes of B & Q or Wicks/Homebase. If you can afford £100 then save up a bit more and get a used quality model. They have better tolerances, bearings, design, ease of use, spares etc etc and if you are looking at occasional use will probably last a lifetime.

I used to have the Elu version of the above Dewalt saw and can recommend the Dewalt version for space saving, there a a few on fleabay. In fact there are quite a few reconditioned 707's around for £200...money well spent IMHO. Heres one

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmpt ... &_osacat=0

I would definitely go for a mitre saw Windy. I have both a Radial arm saw ans a large sliding compound mitre saw (De Walt 718) and although I love my radial arm the mitre saw can be moved about or onto site which is a plus with me. Only drawback with one of these is tenching (dados)with one is a tradeoff to the radial arm saw HTH :wink:

I have the Elu version of that Dewalt had it many years and I have only just splashed out on a new Makita ls1013.

Theres a few things I would say about the DW707 yes its good for the money, but someone who works with me has had one only 2 years and the motor has burnt out and it was hardly used and NOT abused.

Thats the only one I know of though and one problem I found using it was when you lean the saw over for compound cuts it has a small lever that allows you to go past 45' to 48' and if you dont check it you could be cutting at 48 and not knowing it. On the old Elus they have a similar thing but its a button which stays in place ie cant be knocked by accident.

Well I think a mitre saw is very usefull for cutting frames and narrow boards but if there was ONE SAW I would have it would be the Festool TS 55 with guide rail (actually 2 guide rails). This thing is so versatile that you will be able to do pretty much everything with it, from cutting entire boards to size to angle cuts etc.

As for the brand...Dewalt / Makita / Metabo are all very good brands with little faults generally. I have most pleasure with Festool though, which are more expensive but so well designed / engineered that they are, I think, really more efficient and pleasurable to use.

Back