new routers from trend T10 and T11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony":200ydvpv said:
Tombo

As far as I am aware, Trend don't actually make anything and so their routers may even be manufactured by Dewalt or the company Dewalt uses in China!!!
The T5 was made by Perles of Switzerland and is a clone of the Perles 808.
Perles in turn are owned by one of the eastern European companies and have been made for the former communist block for many years.

Hello Chaps

So do we have the cheapest price for the T11?
Also I read something about the 110v power supply, which is not usually mentioned.
Can't remember off hand what it was (sorry just got in from the pub!)
So can this router be powered from a 3.3 kw transformer?

Cheers
Steve

Can some one explain to me why a large number of people seem to spend more time looking for "the cheapest price for this, that and the other" at the apparent expense of ignoring the important issues such as is the product suitable, reliable etc.

It seems to be a recurring theme. By all means look for a competitive price but do not get carried away, remember that if your supplier is cheaper than the majority then service and support may well suffer.

Whilst on the subject of price, on another thread within this website someone mentioned that Costco were selling a quality saw, and I mean a quality saw for X. I spoke to my contact at the manufacturer because I was interested in seeing if it was a sweet deal. It transpired that the Costco were actually selling above the manufacturer's suggested price and as a new reseller for this manufacturer I could match the price with exact same machine.

Who coined the phrase Buyer Beware?

Many idiots who bid on ebay pay more than the normal retail price yet think they have 'won' a bargain.

Who coined the phrase Buyer Beware?
Its part of the sale of goods act 1893 under the Latin 'caveat emptor' let the buyer beware (or 'look after his own interests')

Hi all

Cat got your tongues :wink:
So do we have the cheapest price!
Okay, the cheapest price without ignoring the important issues such as is the product suitable, reliable etc.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Roger

ChippyChap":2vis6fed said:
Can some one explain to me why a large number of people seem to spend more time looking for "the cheapest price for this, that and the other" at the apparent expense of ignoring the important issues such as is the product suitable, reliable etc.

If you have made the decision about product suitability and you can get exactly the same product from a number of sources, then why not try to find the cheapest price?

Cheers
Neil

T11...First impressions....it would be perfectly suited to the router table i built a few months ago..the one with the flush sitting base.....heavy though for above bench use for long periods. how would i compare it to my festools....i'll give it a few months
nice and smooth plunge and speed control for the big cutters..comes with its own proper built in router raizer.only played with it lightly so far but you know what they say about first impressions..it seems to have been designed for table work which really is what i use most big routers for.....i will give it a good workout over the next few months and let you know what i really think.
I always thought trend would have tackled a router table insert similar to woodpeckers...jessem and the like but they seem to have concentrated in building into the router...bit like Triton they have realised these big machines are really at their best working upside down.
seems to be plenty of grunt in it for doing the worktops though, i played with it on a piece of scrap beech worktop 38mm thick with a blunt cutter(only because i dont have any sharp ones left) and managed it in 4 passes with relative ease i say relative because had the cutter been sharp the 2000w motor would have doen it in 3 maybe even 2 passes . i like the guide rail adaptor which would allow for nice straight cuts if i only had the matching rail to try it.....not to dissimilar to festools...
time will tell if it stays in the drawer or comes out to play more often than the others. If i was buying one would i go for this or a dewally....bit early to say but after today i'd go for the T11 purley because it is more versatile and more extras as standard. I have had the Elu then a dewally and now this... and managed to kill them both (6 in fact) I hope the bearings are good ones because this is what failed on my others I also have a T9 which i havent been able to kill of yet so if this is built as good i'll be chuft as i said at the start first impressions and time will tell.I'll do a more in depth when i've played with it longer...should be on the streets soon if not already

Ian

Just picked up my new T11 (not even out of the box yet). Got it from one of my local suppliers - Toolite in Mitcheldean for £249 inc vat.

Will report back soon on performance - off to the workshop to play! :D

T

Ian Dalziel":1t1yagfm said:
T11...First impressions....
I always thought trend would have tackled a router table insert similar to woodpeckers...jessem and the like but they seem to have concentrated in building into the router...

I'm sure I've posted to this effect before, but...

Ever since I got interested in the whole woodworking thing, I've thought that router makers were missing a trick. Given the number of people who buy a router for table use and never take it out, there ought to be a market for a dedicated table router, I think.

Something adjustable from above the table, ditto bit changes, lockable trigger, and why would you need handles :?.

It's interesting that recent models (mostly in the US, but also the Triton and the new Trend) are almost-but-not-quite there. It's as though router makers can't quite bring themselves to do away with the hand-held features... Or is it just me?

Pete,

I think a case can be made for saying that tools such as you are suggesting are already available and are called spindle moulders. In fact there are some cross-over machines that endeavour to be both but these seem to be an unhappy blend of the worst characteristics of both types.

I haven't done my sums lately but there was a time long ago and far away when I added up the cost of all my router bits, the various accessories like lifts etc and came to the conclusion that a spindle moulder would have been a more cost effective purchase. I think one would still need hand held routers but the table stuff could all be done with suitable tooling on a spindle moulder. There are so many rules that seem to dictate the kind of tooling that is sold nowadays, that some of the more versatile tooling is probably not available as a new purchase however.

Pete,
I like your thinking...i have a mast r lift with a PC7518 body and the setup is great but pound for pound now i would buy a spindle moulder if i was doing it again. I have found my drawbacks on the table setup ie mainly the plate and motor arent 'installed' they are hung so to speak and depend on the quality of recess that is cut into the table and are not fixed to allow for easy removal of the router......because of this it can suffer from vibration...no matter how good my holdowns etc are i can still get minute ripples on something i've routed.....this is where i prefer a heavier dedicated moulder.
i think the reason manufacturers stick to leaving handles on etc is because it is mostly a hobbiest market that would use a router table and some arent so fortunate to be able to afford 2...one for above and one for the table....most commercial places i've been in or worked in tend to use a spindle. Heavy routers are used mainly on sites by kitchen fitters/bedroom fitters and that is a massive market for the the tool companies us mere hobbiests will always be second in line but they are getting there as you remarked with triton and now trend
I remarked on the Trend router because they are a biggish router based company who still dont offer router lift inserts for the hobbiest market.
its only my opinion though

Ian

will be interested to see Fox's new entry into the spindle world...due this year i'm told

Chris/Ian - interesting points; I must admit I never think of spindle moulders as being relevant to the hobbyist - they always seem (to me at least) definitely in the professional market. Personal blinkers, I guess :?

Back