New 'Premium' handplanes from Stanley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LV LA Jack verses the Stanley #62 is too easy ..

2xLA2.jpg

The article is here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRe... development of the Bevel Up Jack plane..html

Regards from Perth

Derek

The issue is not what the "premium" range will be but just why do people need them and why from Stanley.

The Stanley brand has gone from being seen as quality to being seen as a producer of poor cheapened tools from Chiwan. They have deliberately let their quality drop and tried to maximise their profits through this. They have thus let their previously hard won reputation become that of one of the poorer makers.

About the only Stanley tool worth buying is a tape measure.

Why would I want to buy a tool from a company which does not care about my needs for high quality tools. Why would I move from my perception of them as DIY capable but not capable of quality, reliable, usable tools.

I hope that they fail. I can see no advantage to us from a company run by accountants for shareholders and not for customers.

regards

Alan

I do not see Stanley competing effectively in the same market as LN, LV and Clifton.

This price range comprises discriminating woodworkers, that is, those who have sufficient knowledge and/or experience (via forums, etc) to recognise that (1) LN, LV and Clifton stand for a reliable high quality product, and (2) new Stanley stands for a reliable low quality product.

It takes a long time and hard work to build up goodwill.

Stanley would be better off competing in a different sandpit. I'd see this being above the Anant level, that is, between Anant and the three above, but closer to Anant in price.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I suppose we could all hold fire a bit and actually wait to see what the quality of these planes are like. Makes perfect sense to me, otherwise we would all be doing reviews on the basis of a few pics.

MIGNAL":3fatx4ks said:
I suppose we could all hold fire a bit and actually wait to see what the quality of these planes are like. Makes perfect sense to me, otherwise we would all be doing reviews on the basis of a few pics.

and prejudice. Don't forget prejudice!

BugBear

I do not see Stanley competing effectively in the same market as LN, LV and Clifton.

This price range comprises discriminating woodworkers, that is, those who have sufficient knowledge and/or experience (via forums, etc) to recognise that (1) LN, LV and Clifton stand for a reliable high quality product, and (2) new Stanley stands for a reliable low quality product.

It takes a long time and hard work to build up goodwill.

Stanley would be better off competing in a different sandpit. I'd see this being above the Anant level, that is, between Anant and the three above, but closer to Anant in price.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Heh.

Stanley's purpose may be to improve their reputation by offering premium tools to a small market segment.

As such the profit gained on all their other products (more desirable from reflected glory) would make the actual design and production costs of the premium tools irrelevant.

These might be Stanley's equivalent of a ford GT40. Completely non representative of the company's main products, made with bought in expertise, but nonetheless desirable :)

BugBear

bugbear":23154his said:
MIGNAL":23154his said:

and prejudice. Don't forget prejudice!

BugBear

My thoughts exactly.

Stanley were the first with many designs currently produced by Clifton and LN, let's see what they come up with.

If they produce a plane that's almost as good but half the price of LV LN then they might make a big dent
in the others business. I doubt they can produce high quality at substantially lower prices.

Javier":3ijfx13k said:
If they produce a plane that's almost as good but half the price of LV LN then they might make a big dent

Surely their current (rubbish) offerings are more that 50% of LN /LV

If "they" purposely sell these new ones at a loss ( for prestige purposes) then things might get bad for the likes of LN & LV.

The 1st smoother I bought was about 14 yrs ago. It was one of those blue stanley 4 1/2 smoothers.
I knew nothing about the premium planes. It's cost though was about 25% the cost of the LN equivalent.

Latest posts

Back