new stanley premium planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":uu73i2bw said:
Yes - the language does seem to imply more than it states.

BugBear

I reread the description, and found that its a bit self contradicting and possibly just wrong. Im still learning about tools but this seems a bit strange:

Cast from steel, the plane body is fully stress relieved to ensure this plane remains true and warp free throughout its entire working life.

Claims the plane body is cast from steel, not iron.

The mouth of the plane is easily adjusted using the knurled brass adjusment knob.

I thought bedrocks are adjusted with a slotted screw, so this is a bit odd.

ade from high carbon steel, the blade is tempered and hardened to Rc 60-64 making it capable of taking and holding a fine, razor like edge.

High carbon or A2? Which one?

Surely "A1" is a colloquial usage of the old Lloyd's classification of a ship's hull and equipment, rather than an indication of material composition?

dunbarhamlin":2jtg75wz said:
Surely "A1" is a colloquial usage of the old Lloyd's classification of a ship's hull and equipment, rather than an indication of material composition?
Steve - could be the name of a road, or even this 8) - Rob

Ive got to say Im quite intrigued by these planes. I may be tempted to get the #6.

Ive sent Rutlands an email to clarify some points, waiting for their response. If it looks good then it may be on the months tool list :D

That link brings back bad memories from my degree course, Jake - in fact I'm sure I had to reproduce the Iron-cementite equilibrium diagram in an exam #-o

Don't ask me to explain it, though. It was one of those courses where you commit the stuff to memory for just long enough to get through the exam!

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":2gluy8r5 said:
That link brings back bad memories from my degree course, Jake - in fact I'm sure I had to reproduce the Iron-cementite equilibrium diagram in an exam #-o

Don't ask me to explain it, though. It was one of those courses where you commit the stuff to memory for just long enough to get through the exam!

Cheers,
Neil

Same here Neil.

Having said that, with the problems I've had lately with heat treating, I wish I'd have taken more notice in my metallurgy lectures.

We live and learn.

Aled

Mikey R":1ckrf2rj said:
Ive got to say Im quite intrigued by these planes. I may be tempted to get the #6.

Ive sent Rutlands an email to clarify some points, waiting for their response. If it looks good then it may be on the months tool list :D

Im quite impressed that I got a quick response. Heres a shortened version of my questions:

I":1ckrf2rj said:
1) Is the body steel or iron? I ask as Stanley, Record and Clifton all use grey iron whilst Lie-Nielsen and Veritas use ductile iron, steel seems unusual.
2) How is the mouth adjusted? Is it modelled after the Stanley Bedrock frog, which uses a slotted screw?
3) Is the blade A2 or High Carbon steel?
4) Is the frog cast of bronze like a Lie-Nielsen, iron like a Stanley or something else?
5) Where is the product manufactured?

And Rutlands replied:

Rutlands":1ckrf2rj said:
Dear Sir

The answers to your questions are as follows:

1) The plane bodies are made from cast steel

2) The mouth is adjusted using a slotted screw and the frog is a bedrock style frog.

3) The blade is T10 carbon steel used in industrial blades for its strength and slight elasticity (ie it is not very brittle so is not easily chipped). For reference, the blades are hardened to Rc 60-64.

4) The frog is cast stainless.

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Hi, Mikey

So no answer to No5, that would be the one we all want to know.

Pete

Racers":g5099wwl said:
Hi, Mikey

So no answer to No5, that would be the one we all want to know.

Pete

Fraid not... as that question was avoided entirely I think that may be all the info Im going to get.

We also dont know what the A1 in the title means.

If we get enough forum users to email Rutlands about these planes, then the interest may cause more information to be put onto the site. What do the regulars think?

Also, would anyone be able to tell me what casting the body from (mild?) steel would mean? Would it be more or less brittle that iron?

Jake":3eonbrfr said:
I think a reasonable supposition from no answer is 'China'.

Assuming it's from the same factory as the other "own brand Bedrocks", we know it's China.

BugBear

bugbear":1o2bliyq said:
Jake":1o2bliyq said:

Assuming it's from the same factory as the other "own brand Bedrocks", we know it's China.

BugBear

Didnt the Tilgear ones have bronze frogs and lever cap? Are there any other own brand bedrocks for sale in the UK?

Mikey R":1dgk8tdl said:
bugbear":1dgk8tdl said:
Jake":1dgk8tdl said:

BugBear

Didnt the Tilgear ones have bronze frogs and lever cap? Are there any other own brand bedrocks for sale in the UK?

I was thinking of the VERY similar own brand Bedrocks that are on offer in the USA.

The variations seem minor, and are probably at the OEM's whim/marketing preference. The woodriver ones even have engraved lever caps.

BugBear

T10 is almost identical to AISI W1 which is the water hardening cousin of the more familiar AISI O1, (different countries have their own designation systems) It's a very very good tool steel but also a real test of the toolmakers skill. It is prone to warping on heat treatment and performs completely differently depending on the hardness of the water it is quenched in. RC62-64 is the optimal range for it - i.e. as hard as you can go before it switches to brittle failure, so they've got that bit right.

Annealed cast steel will be much more difficult to machine than grey iron. Clico reckon on about quarter of an hour per pass on grey to keep the temperature below that which would adversely effect the annealing. Ductile you can wallop through at full tilt because heat won't affect it, although the end result will be less rigid than grey or steel. If steel is going to be done right it would have to be taken much much slower than grey and probably in several passes, if the internal forces that cause warping over time are to be avoided. The benefit of using steel is that grades with a high percentage of chromium can be used - resulting in better corrosion resistance, it also has better wear resistance (ask anyone who has tried to lap a Norris!)

If they have been made right by someone who knows their stuff they have the potential to be awesome. If they have been 'banged out' quickly to a price they will be a waste of some very nice materials.

I've not really read this thread so this has probably already been mentioned but got the new Tilgear catalogue through this morning and they are in there. Quite well priced actually, I'm interested in the shoulder jobby...

My Tilgear cat. came today - no more CD, Hurrah!

I thought it was interesting that Tilgear do not list the 'Grant' brand planes in the new 2009 catalogue. Presumably either (a) they're so good world demand is so high they can't secure a regular supply, or (b) they had so many returns after their last flyer they said "never again".

Does anyon know if the Dakota planes will accept LN frogs? Could be a cheaper way of getting a middle pitch plane especially at present dollar exchange rate.

Back