New Old Inca

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I've been looking for months. One finally came up an hour and a half away. Took a bit of a chance. The photos weren't great. So I took a drive up to Huntingdon today after work. Left work next to Tower Bridge, appeared that the M11 had capsized into chaos. It wasn't going well tbh. I ignored the satnav and swung cross country across the Cambridge flatlands. Thatched cottages and wide open roads. Turned into a glorious drive. Lovely part of the country. Arrived to find the seller cutting his grass. Proper gent. Nice chat about stents and livers later I chucked it in the back of the van and headed home. This time down the A1. FU M11. Tart.
Got home 12 hours after I left it this morning. Half hour to take a look and I reckon it's a goodun.

8AN0Ytu.jpg

srHHOmy.jpg

QW0mZpl.jpg

dh1FLY2.jpg

KtIoLkj.jpg

SYdB8P0.jpg

I've already been in touch with Mr Maskery via his super computer. :D Next stop : Tuffsaws.
Can anyone lend any advice in any way. Id be grateful. Not least do I need to buy a push block etc for the sake of ma fingers. And wherw to buy and how and so on. ta

For those interested. 94 quid.

Brilliant buy for that money

I would check the tyres for a suitable crown so the blade tracks correctly

In the eighties and nineties these were extremely expensive and sought after (some say the El Dorado of bandsaws is the three wheeled Inca which I know Richard Arnold as been after for some time)

The only left handed bandsaw I am aware of

I have 2 of those
One with the 1/16th blade and guides for very tight curves in stuff
And the other is a variable speed one (modded) just for general wood use

Any q's ask away
Good buy at £94

Ian

Nice one Chris! That was a good find, congrats.

Now about your closing question, you didn't just ask where to buy a push stick did you?? (hammer)

Thanks for the replies. I have a lot to learn it seems. I'll download the manual and start taking a serious look at the saw today.

Bandsaw is my favourite machine to use as it is the one I feel safest around. No kickback and easy to work close to the blade, of course the blade can cut you but it's hard to take a finger off with it. It's also the one I find needs the most fettling though, for some reason mine likes to stop cutting straight between uses. I found a zero clearance insert was a great add to improve cut quality on small parts.

F.

I bought one of these in 1990 - with a few accessories it came to £393 so I think you got a bargain. Mine has given me good service. If you can't find the manual please let me know and I'll scan it and make a PDF for you.

katellwood":2tjrb4uw said:

In the eighties and nineties these were extremely expensive and sought after (some say the El Dorado of bandsaws is the three wheeled Inca which I know Richard Arnold as been after for some time)

There is no crown on Inca two wheel bandsaws.
Nice buy, though.

John Brown":235s7tg5 said:
katellwood":235s7tg5 said:

There is no crown on Inca two wheel bandsaws.
Nice buy, though.

And because there's no crown you set the blades up so points are just clear of the rubber on the wheels to avoid damaging it so ignore any of the advice you see to set the blade halfway across the rubber. Lovely machines, I bought mine new 30 odd years ago and it is still going as well as ever especially with a Tuff saw blade!

Cheers, tom

Thanks for the help guys.
I've joined the Yahoo group but it may be a while before it gets approved.
I've spent a couple of hours cleaning it up and working out how it works. Think I have most of it straight in my head now, Most of the parts look in remarkably good nick. A few screws to derust etc . The two main issues I found were the thrust rollers seem to have had it. I've seen various info on what to replace them with but I can't see how they are fitted/secured. Is it just an interference fit? I might be being a bit dense here. :?
The other issue is that the bottom wheel has been scraping against the body of the saw.

BvFE7uR.jpg

I pulled the wheel forward a little and found the grub screw connecting it to the shaft. but it won't tighten. It's hard to see clearly in situ but I'm guessing its either a different size to the other hex type grub screws on the saw which seems unlikely or the head has been threaded. Can anyone confirm the sizes possibly. I don't really want to start taking it apart without knowing what's what. I think that red stuff might have been poured on to try and secure the screw as I can't find it anywhere else on the machine. You can click on the photos to see bigger versions.

IfyuccS.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Cheers
Chris

(Quick edit) Of course the easiest way to check the screw would be to try differnt keys but i spent about an hour tearing the house apart yesterday trying to find mu bag of assorted allen keys.... (hammer) Been on the bay this morning. (sigh...)

Thrust bearings: I found a pack of 8 which were intended for use on in-line skates. Paid under a tenner for the pack, IIRC, from Clas Ohlson. Sadly, they don't sell them anymore. I will go out to the shed and get the sizing.
I also seem to remember that they were interference fit. I drilled a hole in a 2 foot length of 4 by 4 and drifted the carrier out with a drift and a club hammer. Fitted the new bearing using a vice.

That grub screw engages with a key that fits a keyway on the shaft. Your best bet would probably be to tap it out to a larger size, if the threads stripped.

The bearings just say "ABEC5 Inline skate". ABEC5 is apparently the precision.
I can pop a couple in a jiffy bag, if you like.
The hex screws are all metric, at any rate, but I can't remember what size the bottom wheel grub is.

Brilliant. Thank you John, that's very kind of you to offer but to save you the trouble of posting themI'll order them online. Thanks again.

(edited because I got 3 messages all at once and didn't see your second post.)

I'm just reading the blade buying guide at Tuffsaws MoonSafari. :D

Latest posts

Back