New mobile phone choice -confused !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Need to get myself a new mobile phone, primarily for making calls, but thought I might as well get one that has gps and internet browsing too while I'm at it and break into the 21st century !

Looking at three possibilities, all seem to be much the same cost and package for the kind of tariff I'm looking at but don't know how to choose between them !

Thinking about the samsung galaxy S11, iphone 4S, or sony experia S

The iphone has a smaller screen than the other two android phones and I hear an iphone 5 is not far away but I can't really wait and I guess the deals on that will be more expensive anyway presumably.

Other than that not really sure how to choose and whether to stick with apple format or go with one of the others, not having used any touch phones before other than a blackberry touch phone which I found pretty tedious to use on internet or anything else really !

Any thoughts or alternatives most welcome :)

Cheers, Paul

I tried the Samsung for a week before choosing to switch for the iPhone and have to say I couldn't get on with the Samsung it's very thin for the size of the phone and made totally from plastic, if you carry your phone in a pocket like I do then this phone is not good, it takes an entire pocket to carry it and feels like it will snap if you bend wrong. Out of the box I got a maximum of 24hours out of the battery and that's not using it for anything more than a 10minute call home at lunch time and a quick call to say I'm in my way at night. The GPS is quick and works well but the voice the phone uses is reminiscent of Stephen Hawkins voice module, which managed to annoy me to the point where I turned the sat nav off and used my old phone instead.

I switched to the iPhone (which I had been avoiding, thinking they were a fad or Chav accessory), how wrong I was it is a very nice phone with very easy to use menus etc. the only thing letting it down is the customisation options which are to be fair close to none.

Before I changed I had a Nokia omnia which was brilliant to use but alas suffered with terrible battery degradation hence the change.

If you do go with the iPhone and are wanting to use sat nav it's well worth paying for the Tom Tom software, this works so well with the phone.

iPhone.
If the 4S is too much look at the 4, it's still a great thing.
Tesco (who use the O2 network) are doing a12 month £25/month 4S deal currently, don't know details though.

I don't like Android and never tried windows mobile.

This has been typed on my iPhone 4 in the garage :)

iPhone - I access the forum on it using Tapatalk.
My computers get little use now!

The Garmin sat nav App works great.
Better than my dedicated one.

Rod

Great feedback guys, very helpful.

Will rest my brain overnight and push the button on something tomorrow, looking likely to be the iphone at this stage unless any other strong recommendations/preferences come along......!

Cheers, Paul

Just be sure you're happy with the tiny screens for web use. I wasn't - found them pretty naff for anything but the most basic stuff. Went back to an ordinary phone and my 28" screened computer for the web. Could be an age thing :)

cambournepete":1v5gk589 said:
I wouldn't want to carry a 28" screen with when I'm out for a walk though, or the batteries to power it :)
The small screen isn't ideal, but it's a great deal better than nothing.
... the 100 meter extension lead is somewhat limiting when going for a walk - but that's about all I can manage these days. :)

cambournepete":17u91efr said:
If the 4S is too much look at the 4, it's still a great thing.

I only know one guy who upgraded to the 4S, and he moans about it constantly. I get the impression he wished he'd stuck with a 4 instead. (That said, my boss has gone through four iPhone 4s while trying to find one that actually works properly all the time, and eventually settled on just putting up with some of the problems.)

Personally, I'm very happy with my Galaxy S. I've tried a couple of friends' iPhones and I really get the impression that the main thing people have a problem with Android for is that it's not made by Apple and the brainwashing is taking hold! *ducks* ;-)

Seriously, just remember that if you're buying an iPhone you're paying not just for the device, but for the fashion/styling/etc. as well, and that's why it's more expensive. On the other hand, you'll find a lot more third-party peripherals (stereo docks, etc.) which fit the iPhone than any other single brand of phone.

JakeS":yae59x8x said:
I've tried a couple of friends' iPhones and I really get the impression that the main thing people have a problem with Android for is that it's not made by Apple and the brainwashing is taking hold! *ducks* ;-)
Nope, my problem with it is that the phones I've tried just don't seem to work as well for me as Android. My wife has an Android phone and it's frankly awful. IMHO Apple have definitely got the user interface aspects licked.
YMMV.

I don't think there's enough difference between the 4 and 4S to justify an upgrade for most people, and I've not had problems with the 4 - apart from the grip of death issue occasionally, but I use a case for it anyway so that doesn't matter.

paulm":2ypt4b7a said:
Grip of Death issue Pete ? :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Paul
If you use the 4 without a case and hold it so that your hand bridges the gap between the antennas (the metallic bits around then edge) then you case lose the signal. In reality I hardly ever found it a problem.
I think it's fixed on the 4S and I really wouldn't worry about it anyway.

paulm":168x32gd said:
Need to get myself a new mobile phone, primarily for making calls, but thought I might as well get one that has gps and internet browsing too while I'm at it and break into the 21st century !

Looking at three possibilities, all seem to be much the same cost and package for the kind of tariff I'm looking at but don't know how to choose between them !

Thinking about the samsung galaxy S11, iphone 4S, or sony experia S

The iphone has a smaller screen than the other two android phones and I hear an iphone 5 is not far away but I can't really wait and I guess the deals on that will be more expensive anyway presumably.

Other than that not really sure how to choose and whether to stick with apple format or go with one of the others, not having used any touch phones before other than a blackberry touch phone which I found pretty tedious to use on internet or anything else really !

Any thoughts or alternatives most welcome :)

Cheers, Paul

Paul...your decision is a very simple one.

Do you run Macs at home? if the answer is Yes then get an iPhone.

If the answer is No then...well..get an iPhone 'cos once you've used it, you'll realise just how well it all hangs together and so your next logical choice will be an iMac to go with it :lol:

cambournepete":19lm1rok said:
My wife has an Android phone and it's frankly awful. IMHO Apple have definitely got the user interface aspects licked.

There are certainly awful Android phones, but not all Android phones are awful. Personally, I like things like having a hardware 'back' button so I don't have to work out how a particular app does it. But certainly if there's one thing Apple's good at, it's swish UI.

I did forget the other drawback which totally turned me off iPhones, though: having to use iTunes (an abominable piece of software, at least on Windows) to synch all your stuff. :/

Just to say HTC have a good name for themselves with GPS accuracy. I use my old desire to geocache with the children. The phone takes me to within 3-4 feet accuracy, just as good as my hiking garmin. Battery life is pathetic though but I charge the phone every night as I use it as my alarm clock. I'm due an upgrade in june but I can't think of anything better than what I have, the trackball makes surfing easy. Plus I have it rooted.

Michael

Thanks for all the interesting feedback guys.

I'm now having a bit of a wobble and thinking why don't I just get a cheap giffgaff pay as you go sim and cheapo basic handset and make do with that ! :?

Seems a bit extravagant to pay two or three times the amount each month and tie to a two year contract for the latest gizmo with stuff I don't truly need, although part of the extra cost is only because I would go for more included minutes call time in the package to make sure I wasn't caught short given the 2 year contract term.

Also not really convinced I would get on with using a small screen for much or very often, not having the best eyesight and fingers being on the meaty side (hammer)

Cheers, Paul (who used to be decisive :roll: :lol: )

I think you really need to try one out for a day or two. I was fortunate in being able to borrow one for a short period and I soon realised they were not for me. Screen far too small and typing, at any speed, a pain. No doubt there are some for whom they are very useful, even necessary, and many more for whom they are more toys or jewellery :) My view is they are a very poor substitute for a proper computer but for those who travel about a lot and have a need to access email or keep in touch with forums etc they must be a godsend.

Hi Paul

Well here's my two pence.

I got an iphone4 on a contract renewal. £30 per month, 600 mins, dunno txts, unlimited data download.

Having used the iphone for about a month, I thought it was an overpriced piece of hype - there was nothing wrong with it as such, just that I didn't think it was worth the price it commands. So I sold it for £400. I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Ace for £150 (new) which is excellent.

Cheers

Karl

Back