What's the best rugged mobile phone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy an new phone for my partner, at the moment he has a Samsung B2100 which has been wonderful ( partner is a phone trasher, last non rugged phone lasted him 2 weeks) but now the screen is too small and he can't read the words (yeah, let's blame the screen......). So I'm thinking of buying him either another Samsung solid phone, for example the C 3350, or a smartphone ( bit worried about this because of their fragility) such as the Motorola Defy, Defy+ , Sony Xperia Active (really like the look of this one, but it's the most expensive option) or the Samsung Galaxy Xcover.

Does anyone have any experience of these phones, for someone with failing eyesight who refuses to wear glasses, he doesn't just need a big screen, he needs big words on the screen. I don't possess a mobile phone myself, so I haven't had the opportunity to fiddle around and know what is possible.

There are places that sell 'big button' mobiles:

http://www.fussfreephones.com/

If he's a builder with shovels for hands, then he might find that easier to use. Don't buy a smartphone. Even the 'rugged' ones aren't that rugged.

Have a look at the JCB mobile phones. They're built to MOD spec and intrinsically safe. I used to have one and it would quite happily fall several storeys out of my pocket and still work :)

Back