Mobile Phones - Am I missing the point?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":2dmpmwsn said:
thomaskennedy":2dmpmwsn said:
i mean, when do you really need to see who you are talking to :roll:
Ah, it's an old fashioned habit we old fogies have got into, harking back to the days when you only tended to speak to the person who was actually in the same room as you. Facial expression used to be considered quite a helpful pointer IIRC... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Trouble is with the video phones is that the quality is so bad that the expression could mean anything at all and if you still get that that jumpy out-of-synch effect then the person could have said "I'm reall upset" but have gone from total depression to wild exuberance by the time the pictures have caught up.

But do you know what really annoys me about the things?
When I'm trying to contact my wife about some dire emergency and it keeps ringing and ringing and going to answer phone because it's in her handbag and can't be heard. :evil: So you keep ringing thinking that she may hear it next time, but she won't hear it because she has some daft pretentious polyphonic ringtone from some opera or other (hey look at me, I like opera) that is so quiet that no one can hear it to be impressed anyway.

It was so much better when you thought, "Blast, she won't be home for another hour so I guess there's nothing I can do until then".

It was so much more simple then! :cry:

Alf Facial expression used to be considered quite a helpful pointer [/quote said:
Yes and it removed the need for those blessed emoticons :D :) :( :shock: 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!:

dedee":7gtyhhnu said:
Alf":7gtyhhnu said:
Facial expression used to be considered quite a helpful pointer

Yes and it removed the need for those blessed emoticons :D :) :( :shock: 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!:
Too true. Although I never could get those last four right. Wrong kind of face or something... :|

Cheers, Alf

aragorn wrote
90% of communication is non-verbal!
it is i my house 1 look from my other half,and i know i'm in the brown stuff without a word from her lips :roll:

anobium punctatum":1u030pf0 said:
it is i my house 1 look from my other half,and i know i'm in the brown stuff without a word from her lips :roll:
Yep - I find it's best to apologise first thing in the morning when you wake up, then first thing as soon as you come in from work. :wink:

Aragorn that does not work for me anymore i get the you don't even know why ure saying sorry look then :shock: enough to make any man turn to the hard stuff :lol:
midnight you got the right idea m8 atleast you dont have to say £10 everytime your asked how much did that tool cost then remember to hijack the postman when the bank statement arrives :lol:

Its alright for you AP the postie does not arrive until after I've gone to work and mine being a teacher of mathematics, has the unfortunate ability to add up :shock:

Bean

Terry,

If you haven't bought one yet, I would recommend to you the Nokia 6310i.

It's an older model (I've had mine a couple of years) - no camera, no polyphonic ringtones, but has tri-band (for USA), has bluetooth, has a very long battery life, and is very robust.

Nokia have sold millions of these to business people and private individuals because they are solid, the battery lasts forever, and they do all you want a mobile to do without having lots of useless features. I'm about to get a new one when I sign up with Orange Switzerland next week, and I'll keep the existing one as a spare.

Didn't I read this somewhere before...

Noel, cousin of the Invisible Man

Terry,

My business is dependent on being able to be contacted and if you're looking for a simple business phone check out the Nokia 6310i. It's not too small that it becomes hard to use or easily lost, superb battery life, phone book with 1,500 lines of numbers, addresses etc. Easy menu, no camera or other nonsense, monotone screen, bluetooth etc. Think I'm on my 5th or 6th one and I've another sitting in a box ready to go. For me mobiles are for talking and communicating.

Noel
Noel, if I had a pound for every time that happened to me I'd have <pauses to caculate> about £27. :lol: You just have to look upon that feeling of superiority as its own reward. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Waka

Waka":31b410t8 said:
OK, here's an oldy showing his ignorance, what's bluetooth?

Bluetooth is what makes the mobile phone salesperson say, "Ah, you'll need one of these earpieces sir a snip at 99.99." :roll:

It is the new standard for wirelessly connecting phones, computers and almost anything else you can think.

Cheers
Neil

Back