Mobile Phones - Am I missing the point?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluetooth is hardly new, and it's not making anywhere near as much impact as the manufacturers hoped and expected - in fact wifi (802.11 in its various guises) will probably kill off bluetooth even though it was not specifically designed with bluetooth-type transmission ranges in mind.

Where's me money then....?
Friday was a bad day at the end a bad week. So Terry, concensus is 6310i. Need a new TV, VCR, Lawnmower....?

Rgds

Noel

PitBull":2u3h6acb said:
Bluetooth is hardly new, and it's not making anywhere near as much impact as the manufacturers hoped and expected - in fact wifi (802.11 in its various guises) will probably kill off bluetooth even though it was not specifically designed with bluetooth-type transmission ranges in mind.

I have to disagree, Bluetooth shipments are ranging around 3million/week at the moment, up from 2 million/week. So are still going through a signficant growth stage.

USB is a good example of how you need to have a technology in place, and many devices sold before it becomes widely accepted.

Bluetooth is following the same trend.

And sorry to dissapoint you, but after Bluetooth is ZigBee, although this is in a very early stage at the moment (so you probably haven't heard of it at all yet - although lots of people still don't know what Bluetooth is.....)

Adam

Hi Asleitch !
I thought Zigbee was mainly a home automation network, primarily designed to harmonise remote controllers for tv. hi fi, recorders, remote lighting, sensors etc. Is it really designed to replace Bluetooth & Wi Fi ?

I've not been following events recently so I,m a bit out of touch.'
John

Blue tooth is wonderful. Computer and phone in perfect harmony. One minute a day.

Terry is it time to use a business phone supplier not Gap (Get a phone). Ours is a superstar and has clever young people to solve all data issues.

I only surf UKW on my mobile, the laptop makes my legs hot in the toilet.

Martin

woodshavings":upet0bil said:
Hi Asleitch !
Is it really designed to replace Bluetooth & Wi Fi ?
John

No but phones will probably get it, along with NFC (near field communications) - certainly some of th ebig phones companies, - Nokia and Samsung are about to go live with NFC, ZigBee, is as you state, for "home control" mainly - but people will soon want to control their house from their Phone/PDA.

Adam

Hi Adam ... it sounds interesting ....anything to reduce the number of remotes has got to be good! (I see that Metabo now have a remote to unlock some of their power tools - ugh!)
John

Adam,

Bluetooth shipping 3 million/week !!! I guess the vast majority of those are phones (*rest are PDAs and computer keyboards/mice - but how many people are actually using bluetooth on their phones - I suspect the number is very very small.

PitBull":1modyxk1 said:
Adam,

Bluetooth shipping 3 million/week !!! I guess the vast majority of those are phones (*rest are PDAs and computer keyboards/mice - but how many people are actually using bluetooth on their phones - I suspect the number is very very small.

Like I said, you need to get it a certain amount, in order to get it accepted, you only need to watch kids using Bluetooth to see it will get going eventually. For me, I like using a Bluetooth USB dongle on my PC, and then using a blutooth to transfer Text messages - update calendar/contacts list - it's very convenient. Sure I could do it with a cable - but I already got the bluetooth on the PC, so it's easy to use.

Also SWMBO's PDA has bluetooth now also.

Adam

Back