UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFW

Reaction score
Hello all

I've developed an interest in scroll sawing and been reading the forums for the past few months. i'm completely new to scrollsawing and want to develop skills in this new hobbie.
I would like a nice quality scroll and so have saved £300 for a scrollsaw. I've read that an Axminster is a good saw and hegners are great and is building my own stand better?
As well as a machine i understand i will need a drill for holes to insert the blade. i've been reading through "the New scroll saw handbook"

Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
I reckon go for Hegner but there is a price to be paid. I have a Hegner look a like and it seems that Axminster sell a Hegner look a like, mine painted red, Axminster's a different colour. Made in Taiwan mine is. There should plenty of buying advice on this forum in past postings.
The Axminster AWFS 18 @ 279.50 (that's pounds sterling) is the one that looks to be a Hegner clone.
Probably a bought stand might be the way to go but I have mine on a home built timber one and it works well. I did also buy the Hegner quick release clamp as I do plenty of internal cuts.
Hope it helps,
Bob H.

Hi Tony
I agree with Bob the hegner is the best, I have used mine for years and it was worked hard i have had no problems and if you have the budget go for it.
as for the stand make your own
Regards puzzler

Hi KWF,
Not 100% sure but I think the axminster come with its own stand as part of the package,
Mine has one but I did buy it second hand.
Welcome to the club hav fun.... geoff3

Thanks everyone for the advice,

i think hegner are out of my budget. i will decide to get the Axminster AWFS18 and where can i buy the hegner quick release clamp? is it the quick release clamp directly from their website for £17.57? My ambition is to build an eiffel tower which i already brought the pattern :oops:
When buying a drill is it best to have a stand up drill or would a cordless drill be ok?
i maybe able to ask a friend to help me make a stand. In general, people usually sit or stand?

Thanks for all the help
I'll ne hopefully ordering tomorrow :)

Tony

Hi Tony
I bought a second-hand Hegner so that may bring it within your budget.

A cordless drill is fine because you are only drilling small diameter holes. If I am cutting thin board I often use an Archimedes drill that I've had for 50 years! Still got the original bit.

I prefer to sit if I am cutting for a long period to reduce back ache! However buy the machine and try it out to see what suits you because that will govern the height of your stand. A stand that is OK for standing-up work will be too high for sitting with a standard chair or stool. I've got an old Black & Decker 'workmate ' that can be set up at two heights suits my purposes but takes a bit more floor space than a three legged stand.

Why not take some photos as you progress with your project and post here?

Regards Keith

Hi,
The manual that came with my Hegner "Look a like", a WMS it is branded (bought here in Oz), was pretty minimal. I downloaded a more comprehensive Hegner manual here:-

http://www.advmachinery.com/manuals/H-manual.pdf

The Quick release clamp is pricey but I reckon, overall , to be worth it if you are going to do lots of internal cuts, and I guess the Eiffel Tower might be such.

I stand when cutting but probably only because I work in the garage and have to move my tools to the side when finished - room for the car!!!
That book you mentioned in your original post I believe recommends the table height to be at elbow height whether standing or sitting. I made the stand to suit that and it works for me.

I had a drill press before a scroll saw so use that. For me - as I'm not really a craftsman - I find that with the drill press I don't break the small drill bits (I've used a hand held and seem to bend, and break, the bit - but that's just me). However with a pattern with loads of holes to drill I'm glad of the drill press, also when stack cutting - so I know I'm upright - (again that's just me).

Hope it helps.
Bob H.

Back