UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardo16

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys just signed up as looks a great site.

Also looking to get some information from you good members regarding equipment choice for a little workshop im setting up.

A little about myself, im currently based in Leicester, im currently a furniture student in my first year of study and have started to accumilate some tools as i learn.

Hope to learn some great information.

Adam

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. :)

Is your course an HND or City and Guilds? (Level 2, Level 3, etc.)

Hi and welcome to the site.

There are various posts on workshops on the forum. How much space are you looking at using for your workshop?
The type of work you like doing will also dictate the type of tools and equipment you would prioritise.

Hi IronBalls no not at del monte.

OPJ its a city and guilds with the option to do a HND but seen as i have already been to university i couldnt face that again :)

Oh also like your chest you have made, nice work with the space you have.

PM replied to The Shark and very greatful for the offer 8)

Night Train i currently have an empty space which is going to be used as my workshop but not sure on diametres, probably double garage size for the main workshop with 2 smaller rooms for storage and various other.

Beardo16":1tsb5g69 said:
OPJ its a city and guilds with the option to do a HND but seen as i have already been to university i couldnt face that again :)
I teach HND Furniture and it isn't like University at all. It is so much more fun even without the alcohol consumption.

It has been said that I have the best classes ever. I spend two days a week in the workshop with HND yr 1&2 students who all turn up early, are enthusiastic and don't like leaving for lunch or going home.
I get to watch and advise them on all types of projects and see them through to completion and exhibition.
If I didn't need the money I would teach it for free and for more hours a week!

You don't know what you are missing if you skip the HND option. If nothing else, it is two years of using college workshop and machine shop equipment and making some very experimental pieces.

Beardo16":1lqb8c12 said:
...its a city and guilds with the option to do a HND but seen as i have already been to university i couldnt face that again :)

Thanks for your comments on the blanket chest - even though, it isn't actually finished yet.... :oops: :D

I'm nearing of the second year on a similar course, intending to stay on and finish the third year and get a Level 3 qualification. There are plenty of people who seem to go off from two-years at college and do alright for themselves; nothing to worry about there. A HND can't be much more expensive really - the tuition fees for this year were £1,607 and I'd expect it to rise again in time for September! :shock: :?

I assume you've paid something similar for your course?

Night Train where i currently train the HND is optional at the end of the 3 years. I will have to look into it though as i have seen some of the work you have done and its magical 8) for want of a better word. I will have to do more digging.

OPJ yeah your right about the fees. To me they seem a little steep although my uni fees were alot more. If i was under 19 it would be free.

Thanks for the advice though guys, its good to gain thoughts from others.

Adam

Depending on your personal circumstances there maybe funding available. I recently signed up a student and not only did he have fees covered he also got a bursary and some expenses.

Latest posts

Back