New member, new turner - Hi folks.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlowolF

Reaction score
Thought I'd better introduce myself - my name's Shaun, and I recently got given a little Unimat Sl, - little late and I've been after one for an age, mostly for small wood/soft turning rather than detailed metalwork.

Mostly these days I am making jewellery and other items from wood (spalted+stabilised), 'creative' castings/composites and silver, and since I've been making cast 'blanks' for various ends already I thought I'd better have a go at pen-turning see if I could learn.

Not really done any turning before but am apt at handling various materials and workshop principles, albeit with a lot of improv. heheheh...

This last few years I'd read a lot of forums/forum posts on wood/spalting/stabilisation/bowl turning/pen turning and the like and watched a lot of video tutorials but really needed to get my hands dirty.

I knocked up or re-purposed a couple of cutting tools, joined IAP forum (I get my stabilising mixture from one of their mods. in Texas so had already read a lot from their site), then set to with scraps of wood, finally cobbling a pen together yesterday/this morning.

I'd read a lot of posts here during my various dig-and-study sessions and thought it about time I signed up, so here I am.

I usually get a bit wordy/type too much, but I tend towards the hyperactive when learning new things I enjoy and I'm passionate about the direction of my work and that of others in similar areas, so please forgive me. Or not I'll get over it heheheheh!

Be Well Folks,

Shaun/Flowolf

Cheers fellas. Sure I've read some of your posts by now.

This is what I've just been doing - first pen/proper turning:

photo didn't work?

Made that yesterday afternoon/this morning - lots of mistakes (left it covered in rouge polish for the photo, too), mostly can't be seen, least in the photo, heheheh...

I made it out of this messed up block casting/ 3/4x3/4x5 inch blanks cut there-from - wrong kind of pigment, took days to set and foamed up too leaving loads of voids:

Didn't work - (do I need to do something else to link an IMG/photo? Says I don't have permissions/privileges or such...

Oh well!

Just finished 2 pen barrels out of some really nice stabilised elm too but no photos yet and seems I can't show them to you anyway, heheheh...

But that's (turning/penturning) a new thing to me, mostly this last few years, well it all started from a horrid breakdown back a while, and I started making wooden buttons for my wife's work to get a grip on things, 'discovered' spalted wood, and I've been teaching myself to make jewellery out of the spalted wood I hunt down plus silver/resins/castings and all sorts, as well as to make the materials such as the blanks or stabilised spalted woods etc.

I've been kind of busy, and hungry for it all.

Look forwards to reading and posting more - thanks for the welcoming party guys - appreciated ',;~}~

Shaun/FlowolF

Mod Edit:-- Have a read of the Picture Posting Guide at the top of the section

hi there Shaun, welcome to the nut house (hammer)

By the way I do hope your not using any sharp blades in your profile pic, could be very nasty. I see your not wearing any protective clothing ! :shock: :D

Cheers pip ',;~}~

Dangermouse - I *am* wearing shorts. I mean... LOL!

And no, nothing sharp - I'd just re-skinned an African Djembe (with an African goat skin - as is 'proper' lol), and was there in the process of tensioning/tuning it, and may or may not have been hitting it with a wooden rolling pin at that moment - jury's still out, heheheheh...

Off to see if I can make photos UL for me now.

Later folks,

FlowolF

Hi mate, I'm just about to embark on the pen turning journey myself!. I've got my kit on the way, hopefully it will turn up tomorrow from Turners Retreat & then there will be no stopping me!.. Everyone on here is really helpful & the knowledge & experience is fantastic, you really can't go wrong on here, hats off to everyone!. Hope you enjoy & as everyone has said, welcome to the site!.

Ok, so 3rd try and getting photos up! It worked last time but the post has vanished.

"This is what I've just been doing - first pen/proper turning:"

NjkxNzU5MTk2NTQzMUExRTZGNzE6MDZjN2EwYzhmZGQzNTRmODNiNGI3MjRjMWU4YTY4YmU=

NjkxNzU5MTk2NTQzMUExRTZGNzE6OWQzZTI0NzE2YTAwYTg5ODk0NzM0NThmMGQ5NTg3Nzk=

Bad photos but I'd just finished them ',;~}~

"I made it out of this messed up block casting/ 3/4x3/4x5 inch blanks cut there-from - wrong kind of pigment, took days to set and foamed up too leaving loads of voids:"

NjkxNzU5MTk2NTQzMUExRTZGNzE6ZDIxZDFlZGE5MTRkMWU5MjFiZDAwZWYwNTk3ODAwMDI=

And I am gonna sigh with relief, hit 'post' and run now before it all goes 'udders' up on me again, heheheh...

Cheers!

FlowolF

VikingAl":195m5piz said:
Hi mate, I'm just about to embark on the pen turning journey myself!. I've got my kit on the way, hopefully it will turn up tomorrow from Turners Retreat & then there will be no stopping me!.. Everyone on here is really helpful & the knowledge & experience is fantastic, you really can't go wrong on here, hats off to everyone!. Hope you enjoy & as everyone has said, welcome to the site!.

Hi VA, thanks for the welcome. Already read a lot of posts here this last few years, so I know how helpful and smart some of this bunch are, or can be anyway LOL!

Good luck on your own journey mate - I'm enjoying myself but need to take a break, absorb some of what I've learned with my first 2 efforts, and get some more proper bits/tools so I can turn properly on-centre (a stick of old threaded mild steel rod, couple of nuts and some wire do not a mandrel make LOL! - They make a wonky piece holder ',;~}~ )

Cheers again,

FlowolF

EnErY":4014i6rz said:
Welcome matey to the madhouse i'm the Only sane one Here Enjoy your Turning .
Regards
Bill

I take objection to that - i think you'll find I'm the singular sane one LOL!

Thanks for the welcome Bill - mad as a barrel full of drunken monkeys most days. ',;~}~

Be well!

Shaun/FlowolF

Back