New legislation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":b3zu3og0 said:
Some of the most useful words are German - schadenfreude and schlimmbesserung being two. I don't know whether the former has reached US English yet, the later certainly won't have.

Schlimmbesserung (an improvement that makes things worse) is certainly descriptive of some of the phrases that have entered the English language in more recent times.
My pet hates are 'proactive', which adds nothing to what 'active' already does. Others are 'moving forward', 'substantive' (when all they mean is substantial), and worst of all, 'reverting back'. All designed to make the speaker appear literate but having quite the opposite effect.

wellywood":3f3cuvne said:
phil.p":3f3cuvne said:
Some of the most useful words are German - schadenfreude and schlimmbesserung being two. I don't know whether the former has reached US English yet, the later certainly won't have.

Schlimmbesserung (an improvement that makes things worse) is certainly descriptive of some of the phrases that have entered the English language in more recent times.
My pet hates are 'proactive', which adds nothing to what 'active' already does. Others are 'moving forward', 'substantive' (when all they mean is substantial), and worst of all, 'reverting back'. All designed to make the speaker appear literate but having quite the opposite effect.

Proactive = taking action before an event to prevent or mitigate that event. Reactive = reacting to an event after it has happened. Good use of language.
Moving Forward as opposed to moving backward or sideways. OK use of language.
Substantive has been used for many years. In my experience it is a form of the word full (as in: Substantive Promotion, instead of Acting Promotion) OK use of language.
Reverting back is two words both having the same meaning to refer to a single event. Bad use of language.

The English language is constantly evolving. It must do or else we would still be using 'Thee' 'Thou' and so on.

"ize" rather than "ise" is the preferred spelling, according to my 30 year old Collins English Dictionary. In fact, there was an episode of Morse where the use of "ise" rather than "ize" was a crucial clue to the erudite inspector. I blame Bill Gates for the rise of "ize", as Word insists on "ise" if you set it to British English.
Anyhow, a lot of people will tell you that American English has, in many cases, changed less than its British counterpart over the past few hundred years.

I still wince, however when I hear "It was so fun", "different than" or "excited for", and, despite my best endeavours, neither my American wife nor my three step-daughters have yet grasped the difference between "bring" and "take". On the other hand, I've never heard an American say "free" when they mean "three".

Ah, interesting and entertaining thread this!

A couple of "English-English" pet hates that I have (and I hear it regularly - even on the BBC) is the use of "foot" instead of "feet - as in "It's over 6 foot long". No it isn't, if it's more than a foot long it's "X" feet long

Or how about "very unique"? (a Malapropism I believe)

Or one that really gets my goat is "comprises of". No it doesn't - "it consists of"; or "it (simply) comprises". I see that one more and more often but according to Fowler it's dead wrong (and that ref book is called "Fowlers MODERN English Usage" BTW, (although I must admit my copy, the 2nd edition, was published in 1965).

They're all horrible (to me), but even re that last one, I don't really get all that upset about it.

And couple of Americanisms I personally really dislike - "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain, we'll be taking off momentarily" - and I just could not get the (American of course) hostie to understand why I said "Right then, I wanna get off NOW!";

Or another oft-used Americanism - "off of" as in "Get off (of) the aeroplane" (the "of" doesn't add anything at all) - but I suppose "bebark" is even worse!!!

Or a really coy German one - "Dritte Zane" (i.e. 3rd teeth - instead of dentures or false teeth, as we would say in English). How "refined" they are (sometimes)!!!

But I suppose for high amusement value one of my best is when (in the US) and being a smoker, I announce in the office "OK, I'm off out for a quick fag". Has raised eyebrows on more than on occasion that one has.

Interesting stuff language :lol:

AES

Penny":3i8ddwar said:
Proactive = taking action before an event to prevent or mitigate that event. Reactive = reacting to an event after it has happened. Good use of language.
Moving Forward as opposed to moving backward or sideways. OK use of language.
Substantive has been used for many years. In my experience it is a form of the word full (as in: Substantive Promotion, instead of Acting Promotion) OK use of language.
Reverting back is two words both having the same meaning to refer to a single event. Bad use of language.

The English language is constantly evolving. It must do or else we would still be using 'Thee' 'Thou' and so on.

Taking action before an event is still only being 'active'.
Moving or going forward says nothing that 'in future' doesn't.
Substantive as in 'a substantive rank' is not the use being referred to. Some people confuse 'substantive' with 'substantial'.

All languages need to evolve in order to survive and remain valid. The point I was trying to make, is that additions should be useful and not simply linguistic gymnastics designed to make the speaker sound intelligent.

Back