New kitchen WIP (AKA I need a bigger workshop!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't posted anything new for a while so here is the result of last weekends work. It's a work in progress in so far as it's not finished but unfortunately I didn't manage to take any pictures while making them.

The carcasses are all 19mm beech veneered MDF apart from the backs which are 12mm, also beech veneered. There are six in all; two corners, two wide ones (hidden at the back) which will hold a small utensil drawer and two large pan drawers. The other cabinets will be a mixture of drawers and cupboards.

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1778.jpg

The wood was all delivered on Friday, machined up on Saturday and put together on Sunday. All joints are rabetted or housed, glued, biscuited where needed and nailed (i've just bought air nailer and I can't believe how pleased I am with it and it's such a time saver). Initial cuts of the 8x4 boards where made with a portable circular saw and giude rail but once small enough to manage on the table saw, all remaining cuts were done on it.

I had a move around to make space to assemble them so now the lathe is a bit squashed in but i don't use it much so it's no big deal for now. There is actually still a route to each machine I need to get at so I can still use everything.

DSCF1772.jpg

The next stage is to make the face frames so a trip to Arnold Lavers on Satuday and I'll make start. I'll keep updating this thread as I progress and who knows, some day I might even get it all fitted!

And finally a couple of gratuitous workshop pictures and big lumps of metal! As always, all comments are welcome.

DSCF1777.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

DSCF1770.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

The BIG BLUE "C" - looks like a scroll saw on steroids - what is it? :shock:

Is it a band saw? :?:

I like the cabinets, maybe I can pick up some ideas for my kitchen rebuild. :-$

Dave

Sportique":21e67s4w said:
Mike,

The BIG BLUE "C" - looks like a scroll saw on steroids - what is it? :shock:

Is it a band saw? :?:
Dave

It's a band saw, 24" wheels, 181" blade. It stands about 7ft tall. I had it given a few years ago.

Sportique":21e67s4w said:
I like the cabinets, maybe I can pick up some ideas for my kitchen rebuild. :-$

Dave

Thanks, copy away and if I can help. let me know

Cheers
Mike

Mike

Do you think you are saving a lot by making the carcasses yourself? What do you estimate is the difference in cost between making them and buying them in?

Looking good by the way.

Mick

MickCheese":2uo8sexa said:
Mike

Do you think you are saving a lot by making the carcasses yourself? What do you estimate is the difference in cost between making them and buying them in?

Looking good by the way.

Mick

Mick,

Compared to buying ready made chipboard/MFC carcasses, no I'm not saving anything but the reason I'm doing it is that I don't want standard sizes and I want them veneered inside instead of MFC.

I'm copying a Chalon kitchen. We looked in their shop in Harrogate and described what we wanted and they said anywhere from 35 - 70k depending on fittings and worktops.

I think i can do it it for 2K and that includes new sink, taps and Blum Blumation drawer runners so I still think I'm saving.

Cheers
Mike

I couldn't complain if I had a workshop that big!! :shock: That bandsaw looks interesting, as well! :wink:

Good progress so far, for weekend. What saw blade did you use when you cut the veneered boards?

Sawdust":yuyvjfri said:
MickCheese":yuyvjfri said:
Mike

Looking good by the way.

Mick

Mick,

Compared to buying ready made chipboard/MFC carcasses, no I'm not saving anything but the reason I'm doing it is that I don't want standard sizes and I want them veneered inside instead of MFC.

I'm copying a Chalon kitchen. We looked in their shop in Harrogate and described what we wanted and they said anywhere from 35 - 70k depending on fittings and worktops.

I think i can do it it for 2K and that includes new sink, taps and Blum Blumation drawer runners so I still think I'm saving.

Cheers
Mike

I couldn't agree more, your units look a lot stronger.

I am very interested in your thread as it is on my list to fit a new kitchen and I have been told it has to be done before the end of the summer. Like you we have had some ridiculous quotes anywhere from £15000 to £30000 but I was thinking of buying in Howdens units and just fitting them. Problem there is not much in the catalogue that my wife likes.

Mick

MickCheese":1c64ru0z said:
I am very interested in your thread as it is on my list to fit a new kitchen and I have been told it has to be done before the end of the summer. Like you we have had some ridiculous quotes anywhere from £15000 to £30000 but I was thinking of buying in Howdens units and just fitting them. Problem there is not much in the catalogue that my wife likes.

Mick

Me too - a kitchen's been on my list for ages - ain't happening this summer for me, but can't put it off forever. In my case there probably isn't much in their catalogue that I like.

Sawdust - Adjustable feet on these I take it?

Ummm, I have been given the job of redoing our kitchen too and I was thinking of making the carcasses like you. My workshop is long and narrow (2.8m across the width), a two car garage type size, and there are other things in it which prevent me from storing the carcasses whilst working on them. So this will be a problem for me. However, I have time as I dont think we will be doing this this year as house needs rewiring first and then there is cost. Anyhow this has given me some ideas and I like your work too, good stuff. I'd be interested to see how it all turns out.

cheers
HM

Mike

Looks superb so far. What do you intend to finish the inside with to make it durable and able to wipe it clean?

Mark

Speaking as the resident expert on small workshops.. pause for applause - you could get about ten times as much stuff into you place as you have there now!

You are truly well endowed!

OPJ":34gqsylh said:
I couldn't complain if I had a workshop that big!! :shock: That bandsaw looks interesting, as well! :wink:

Good progress so far, for weekend. What saw blade did you use when you cut the veneered boards?

I have Dewalt 71/2 saw partable saw for initial cuts which has a 40 tooth TCT blade. It's only a Performance Prop one from B&Q but it leaves a clean cut.

The table saw has a Freud 10" blade in it which I think has 60 teeth.

The SCMS has a 60 tooth CMT blade in it - the finish from it looks like it's from a scalpel - fantastic blade!

Cheers
Mike

Dibs-h":2q76pcel said:
MickCheese":2q76pcel said:

Mick

Me too - a kitchen's been on my list for ages - ain't happening this summer for me, but can't put it off forever. In my case there probably isn't much in their catalogue that I like.

Sawdust - Adjustable feet on these I take it?

Not fitted yet, but yes they will have.

Cheers
Mike

well made sawdust,

my only reservations are using mdf. as with chipboard can swell with the damp and desintergrate over time. espescisally for any screw fixings, hinges etc.

i use engineered pine boards here. 2m x 600mm for 12.50 each.

making your own carcasses is the way forward. the flexibility it gives for symetry is unbeatable, provided you can get made to measure doors and drawer fronts (or make your own obviously)

i take it your lipping the edges.

what sort of plinth are putting on?

jeff

jeffinfrance":2m1zbbi9 said:
well made sawdust,

my only reservations are using mdf. as with chipboard can swell with the damp and desintergrate over time. espescisally for any screw fixings, hinges etc.

i use engineered pine boards here. 2m x 600mm for 12.50 each.

making your own carcasses is the way forward. the flexibility it gives for symetry is unbeatable, provided you can get made to measure doors and drawer fronts (or make your own obviously)

i take it your lipping the edges.

what sort of plinth are putting on?

jeff

Jeff,

Fair point about the MDF but I will seal the edges.

I will make all of the doors and drawer fronts so no problem about the sizing.

I won't be using plinths. I intend to face frame it all and extend the 'legs' of the face frame to the floor so they look like free standing cabinets.

Cheers
Mike

i'd like to see how that face frame turns out, keep us posted!

what are you doing about floorstanding appliances? thats always a problem i face when i want to make freestanders. i found a smeg dishwasher that can sit off the ground and there are fridges freezers if the client has enough money........but that washer and dryer has to go in the utility room!

all the best,

jeff

jeffinfrance":202sb8kr said:
i'd like to see how that face frame turns out, keep us posted!

what are you doing about floorstanding appliances? thats always a problem i face when i want to make freestanders. i found a smeg dishwasher that can sit off the ground and there are fridges freezers if the client has enough money........but that washer and dryer has to go in the utility room!

all the best,

jeff

We have an American style fridge/freezer which won't be built in. The washing machine is in the utility room and I'm working on a face frame which opens to give access to the dishwasher. I'll keep you posted.

Didn't get much done this weekend apart from fitting all the shelves into the carcasses. I've put a 2" hardwood edge on all the shelves.

I'll definitely get the wood for the face frames this weekend so will post some more pics once they are machined up.

Cheers
Mike

Back