New Kitchen for £10k

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
looking for some advice as will be fitting a new kitchen when i move.

the space is about 11ft long by 9ft wide and will either be two straight banks of units or a U shape if we brick up the un-needed side door. Hoping to get detailed measurements next weekend if estate agent can sort me access.

Budget wise I have £10k and thats to include Oak or walnut worktops and appliances (electric oven, gas 5 burner hob, built in fridge freezer and a dish washer)

Went in Magnet (showroom as trade counter closed) today to get an idea of prices and styles and was horrified by some of their retail prices!! We didn't look at anything overly fancy or at the top end appliances!

Aside from Magnet and Howdens (will check them out once i have proper measurements) is there anywhere else folk would recommend for Kitchens? I know £10k is not going to buy me a high end kitchen but i imagined it would get me more than cheap chipboard flatpack units!

10k would buy you a lot of tools if you had the desire to graft it yourself [WINKING FACE]

Coley

With a bit of knowledge and practice you could make a very nice kitchen with that budget and get yourself some nice tools in the process.

You would need a table saw or plunge saw, router/router table, joiner e.g domino, chop saw, clamps and a few other bits and pieces.

With the above you could make a very nice shaker kitchen with ply cabs and solid oak doors. Have someone like blumsons supply your machined timber and you could even have all your sheet goods cut to size.

Adidat

I've got accounts at most kitchen suppliers. I wouldn't use magnet they're nowhere near as good as they were years ago.

Howdens are ok but employ morons.

Benchmarx are good and very reasonably priced I'm fitting one this week.

But if I had your budget I'd go for either Crown, Omega or Pronorm (German). All very good quality.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

adidat":1d2f3how said:
With a bit of knowledge and practice you could make a very nice kitchen with that budget and get yourself some nice tools in the process.

You would need a table saw or plunge saw, router/router table, joiner e.g domino, chop saw, clamps and a few other bits and pieces.

With the above you could make a very nice shaker kitchen with ply cabs and solid oak doors. Have someone like blumsons supply your machined timber and you could even have all your sheet goods cut to size.

Adidat
Hope I'm not speaking out of turn, hope you're recovering well. How did the accident happen if you don't mind me asking?
All the best.
Coley

thanks for the comments guys. Disgustingly i have all the tools and more to make something (Festool Festool Festool) but the issue is we have an entire house to renovate and i am not sure the other half trusts me to make the kitchen from scratch - especially in the timeframe we would need it. I will have a workshop when we move as the house has a double length detached garage but it needs doing up and thats last on the list of jobs sadly.

If i was to build one though what would people recommend - 18mm bb ply for carcasses?

RobinBHM":o78rkzra said:
One of my customers used these guys to supply a kitchen.

http://www.murdochtroon.co.uk/bespoke-kitchens/
They make the carcases in solid pine rather than mfc.

Its probably cheaper to buy worktops from an online company. I dont think Howdens etc will be good prices for solid timber worktops.

they look pretty reasonable and of good quality even if the website is a little poor in design

now its been mentioned here i am thinking i would like to make one and put all the fancy festool i have to more use than the basic stuff i have done thus far (in my defence i front loaded on tools while i had the money before we have kids next year!)

i do feel a lot more relieved now as the woman in magnet made me feel like a right tramp when she said our £10k budget what not by much and even less if we include appliances!!!!

Im surprised i would have thought £10k would be a pretty healthy budget for an off the peg kitchen. Maybe you chose the wrong day as there 364 day sale event had just ended?? :)

Adidat

10k could buy alot of materials. Perhaps they hoped you'd splash out on overpriced appliances

Coley

My daughter has just used http://www.diy-kitchens.com/ And I have to say their kitchens are top notch good prices and great service. I got her to look at their website after reading reviews on other woodworking sites so no Affiliation with them.
Jim

I have had two Howdens kitchens in rental properties we lived in when house hunting. Both in the last 5 years. Quality of cabinets was poor, with thin materials, low quality and insecure fittings. Looked quite good cosmetically at first. They build to a price and add a sizeable margin. In your shoes in a kitchen of that size with simple layout I would build my own and put the money saved into excellent appliances and a very good worktop.

My kitchen is just about nine feet square. I'd want a heck of a lot of change from £10,000, and I wouldn't want rubbish for the money. It's time for a refit. as it happens.

Although, I admit SWMBO does not want gas hobs, and a built-in oven. Nor a dishwasher or tumble dryer. ](*,) Just old fashioned; and insists on a space-wasting double drainer sink, when one of those split sinks would be better. Yep, she's old fashioned all right. :roll:

Why oh why do people jump on the "Carcasses have to be made out of birch ply to be top notch"............

Drives me bonkers, yes I will supply birch ply carcasses if the client wants them, or veneer or veneered blockboard, but are they better than MFC?

Are you going to get a water leak in all your cabinets........... no, the only carcase which will probably only get a water leak is the sink, so by all means make this out of birch ply, however a water leak will ruin birch ply as well.

In 5 years time your nicely sprayed birch ply carcasses will be scratched to twittery, MFC will look like new.

Sprayed birch ply looks so bland and virtually impossible not to have patches showing.

Todays trend is for drawers rather than highlines, so you don't see most internals anyway.

Provided the MFC carcasses are glued and screwed and good back in them they are not going to fall apart.

I run a silicone bead around all the joints in a sink cabinet and insert a water trap mat.

I have made my own kitchen for the new house, I could do whatever I wished, I want the kitchen to look good for 15 years, MFC for me with veneers in the show cabinets.

Latest posts

Back