New kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
As we all know when we start to get into scroll saw work it isn't just a scroll saw we need, there is a shedfull of other equipment we need depending on how far we intend to go with our hobby, with me it is no longer a hobby, I earn a big part of my living with what i produce on the scroll saw. I have other equipment like various sanders, a band saw, drill press and lots of other items.

For a while now I have been toying with the idea of getting a router table. I have a dremel router table along with a decent dremel and this is used for rounding over the edges but it will only round over a little bit but none the less very effective. Today I took the plunge (forgive the pun)I bought the new Makita RT0700CX2 router that comes with different bases for trimming and routing. The main reason I bought this router is that I will be able to adjust the depth of the router bit without having to physically get under the table and push the router up from the base, something I cannot physically do anyway due to being disabled. The adjustment is very fine indeed and once the right height is found it is just a simple matter of pressing the locking lever, all adjustments being done one handed. This type of router is called a palm rpouter and is 1 1/4 horse power and up to 30,000 rpm.

I was going to get the Kreg router table but did not like the idea of an MDF top so I went for the UJK technology compact router table as the one I chose has a cast iron table top and is very well made. I asked the guy at Axy Tech dept if the router would fit the table ok, he had no idea, he just said if it don't fit send it back. I am quite confident I will get it to fit.

The main purpose for this new set up is to enable me to carry out a more pronounced round over on some of the things I make but I have several new ideas for other things as well.

That's a lovely bit of kit Geoff - It will be pure pleasure using it I bet. Out of my budget for now but one day...............

What are you making and what bits are you using?

WoW Geoff , you can make pieces look better than they do now ?? I think I will give up . :cry: :cry: .Hope it turns out successful for you Geoff . Will look forward to your F/B to see what difference it will make .
Take care and God Bless .

Thanks Eugene for your kind comments. Looking forward to adding another dimension to new things made on the scroll saw.

Phil. I am going to be doing some inlay work with the new kit but also making some jewelery boxes, the new kit will enable me to do comb and dovetiail joints for the corners and rebates and housings for other projects in the pipeline. Will also be making plinths for scroll items to be mounted on. For now I have ordered some rounding over bits bearing guided. Twin flute straight cutters, trimming bits in various sizes. I will add others as the need arises.

Will be busy for a while making templates and jigs etc. I have some ideas for new candle holders that can only be done on a router table but when I have made a few things I shall post them on my face book page.

You should have a wonderful time learning how to use your new tools in conjunction with your scroll saw. A new vista of woodworking opportunities will open up to you.

Sounds like really good stuff Geof and good fun designing and making up the jigs. I really look forward to seeing your results.

I'm in the market for some 1/4" bits for detailed miniature profiling work and there's not really a lot of choice out there. I know Trend have their DH range, so may try a few few of their bits when I can afford it. Wealden Tools do a fair range too but quite pricey and then there's Proxxon who also produce a set. I'd really like to see a comparison, but I can't really find much information so it looks like I'll be buying blind.

Good luck with the new tools.

Phil

Many thanks Gill. Yes, I think all scrollers get a little excited when a new piece of equipment comes along. Its another learing curve but as in all things to do with scroll sawing its exciting as well as challenging. It will be a matter of practicing on scraps for many of the things I have in mind so I don't make mistakes with expensive hardwood.

Phil. I used to live in Rochester before I moved to Wales. Buying blind is always a problem, like you I prefer to see things in the flesh before I buy but living where I do I am very limited as to whats available locally. I buy most things on-line now but if I buy something I am not sure off I look for reviews or customers comments. I have bought rubbish in the past and returned it. With the router table and the router I found some positive feedback. With the detailed work you want to do have you considered a Dremel outfit, they make really small router bits and also do a base that would enable you to do detailed work and it has a plunge action and you can set the depth. I would imagine though it would be time consuming as you can only take a little waste wood off at a time but it all depends on what wood you are using and how far you want to go. I wish you every success and I am sure everyone on here, including myself, would love to hear of your progress.

I know its hard when money is tight, so many things we would like to have. I think the list of tools we would like to help our scroll saw work is endless. I was fortunate with the kit I have just bought as I had a nice tax rebate but it can be so frustrating saving up for that special tool or machine. What I cant get my head round is why are tools by Festool so expensive. I know the quality is good but so are tools by other manufacturers. I looked at the festool router table and you buy the bits and pieces individually and I would have ended up spending over £1000 and it wont do the job any better than the one I have ordered for a fraction of the price of the festool one.

Hi Geoff,
Glad you are happy with your Makita, It really is a beautiful little router. I would be interested in which roundover bits you purchased and from where as I am having trouble finding a small radius bit for mine.
I can only reflect Boysies statement in that your work is already fantastic and now that you are going to improve it the rest of us might as well give up!
Enjoy your new kit,
Regards,
Phil

Geoff , dont be short of scraps to practice on , I could send you a truck load of my stuff and when you have finished I am sure I will be delighted with the improvements . :lol: :lol: .

I'm sure as Gill and others have said exciting times are ahead . Enjoy them because I'm sure that anyone that sees your work will get great pleasure from it .

Like you I find it hard to justify buying Festool , But then we bought Hegner's didn't we :lol: so somewhere there has to be a reason .(I think ) :roll:

Take care and God Bless.

Hi Phil. I don't actually take delivery of the router until Tuesday. I know I am not going to be dissapointed. My only concern is that I will be able to fit it to the router table without to many problems. I ordered a few bits from Axy and the smallest roundover bit I ordered was £15-80 and had a radius of 1.59mm and an overall diameter of 15.30mm and it is bearing guided, which I am looking forward to as the pin guided bits i use on the dremel router leave an ugly mark on the edge of the wood. I am going to do more research to see if I can find smaller bits for the new router but may wait until I see the new one from Axy on Tuesday.

Eugene. I sent you an e-mail. I love your sense of humour, you always make me smile when I read your post. I am sure the things you make are very good if your wood turning is anything to go by. Yes Eugene, we both ended up buying Hegners, such a price to pay for excellence but glad to say mine has now paid for itself. I could never go back to a cheaper saw. If I bought the saw now with a footswitch I would not have any change out of £1000, ridiculous.

Back