New Hegner, Workshop Tidy Up & Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeteG":1aj28lk7 said:
Thanks Martin. I have seen your piccies and I was looking for them again a few days but couldn't find them.
I think a little problem I'll have is, Wickes don't have a 68mm "T" joint, they're all offset ones. Should've thought
have that before I got carried away.

While I don't have anything that diameter, all the woodworking tools (I use the term loosely :) have different size extraction ports, so I made adaptors on the scroll saw so that the alloy pipe on the vac flexi hose will plug into any of them. The mitre saw is by far the worst culprit so I use it in the street and hope the neighbours don't complain. :)

AES":13c06983 said:
Pete, I share your frustration re different hose & coupler diameters. All my portable power tools (e.g. jigsaws, sanders, routers, etc) and all my bench top machines (e.g. bandsaw, disc sander) ALL have different diameter extractor ports, and just as you say, it's a real faff cobbling up bits and bobs with gaffer tape to get hoses to fit. To add to that, the extractor ports built into the disc sander don't do much in the way of extraction anyway, even after I have fiddled & faddled to get a hose attached.

A bright(er) spot - I don't know how it is in UK these days, but here shops which sell stuff like vacuum cleaners (domestic) have to take busted ones back for disposal. Our local supermarket has a big box full of such "carp" in the carpark and I've found several discarded vac hoses which, much to SWIMBO's disgust, I've collared. One was a direct fit onto the extractor port of the bandsaw and works well with the cheapo Lidl ashes vac (the other hose end fitted directly into that vac) but in general they're all (slightly) different sizes so it's all more than a bit of a hassle! (BTW, I keep looking for a discarded Dyson so that I can pinch the cyclone bit to save making one - or a Thein - but so far no luck).

As said in an earlier post, my shop is in the cellar, a big advantage in several ways, but as it's shared with " 'er upstairs", for stuff like the central heating boiler and the washing machine & tumble drier I am also under some pressure to radically improve dust collection and reduce noise. Hence my interest in this thread (it's not only jealousy). So thanks for posting.

Cheers
AES

Very handy having all those hoses and parts available when you go shopping AES, must be tempting to take all of them, strip and keep what you want and then take the rubbish back.
I've been thinking about my wooden T junction box and thought whether putting a fan inside would either increase suction or just make it noisy and a waste of time. I'm no inventor!
But I reckon the box will be the only way of connecting two 68mm pipes and the 51mm vacuum hose. I'll see how I get on.

Pete, a bit off-topic but can I ask you about your sander please?

I picked up an identical one on Gumtree for £20 a couple of weeks ago, it's a great bit of kit, but it's missing the table and the stop thing above the belt.

I've been looking around the internet to try to find out what's what and whether I can get replacements or whether I'll have to cobble something together myself. Mine is an Axminster one in green, but as far as I can see it's identical to yours which is a Clarke one?

Anyway, if you could post me loads of pictures of yours that would be really useful! And do you move the belt bed at all, seems odd that it just rests on that big bolt on one side, but can be tilted to any angle, what's that for?

It's hard for me to work out whats what as I don't really know exactly what I'm missing from mine.

Pete G - I like what you have done ref the hopper.

Have a look at my setup. I bought the http://www.axminster.co.uk/big-mouth-dust-hood and inserted a piece of aluminium (great for stopping things disappearing into the extractor) I had previously purchased elsewhere, which is gaffer tapped into the top, it has a 100mm connection. And I added a blast gate which I slide in and out and use to increase suction to the top or all to the bottom. Hop that makes sense.. LOLS

toesy (hammer)

Attachments

• IMG_4295.JPG
    IMG_4295.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,035
That'll certainly clamps and blades disappearing down the hopper toesy, escpecially if you're all fingers and thumbs like me! I have a blast gate on the router which is 63 mm, I'll try building it up to fit the 68 mm pipe I'm using. I was going to use one for switching from the saw to the pillar drill, but I may also just put seperate pipe in for the drill as you have to change the hose over to a different port on Numatic for chip
extraction.

I'm wondering if the big rainwater hopper that you've installed Pete (or perhaps toesy's "extra wide/flat hopper" from Axi) would work if it was suspended t'other way up above my disc/belt sander. I guess that will depend on how much suck whatever extractor I end up with has in practice (which I guess, in turn, will depend on how long and what dia the connecting pipe/s is/are)! But I seriously doubt it would be much less effective than the exit pipe built-in to the machine.

Any thoughts/advice please anyone?

AES

paulrockliffe":31gplr9y said:
Pete, a bit off-topic but can I ask you about your sander please?

I picked up an identical one on Gumtree for £20 a couple of weeks ago, it's a great bit of kit, but it's missing the table and the stop thing above the belt.

I've been looking around the internet to try to find out what's what and whether I can get replacements or whether I'll have to cobble something together myself. Mine is an Axminster one in green, but as far as I can see it's identical to yours which is a Clarke one?

Anyway, if you could post me loads of pictures of yours that would be really useful! And do you move the belt bed at all, seems odd that it just rests on that big bolt on one side, but can be tilted to any angle, what's that for?

It's hard for me to work out whats what as I don't really know exactly what I'm missing from mine.

Hello Paul :) A few piccies as requested.

To get the table vertical there is just one bolt on the Clarke. Loosten it and pull the table up, tighten again. If you're changing the belt first take the screw out of the dust cover, it's easier
doing before the table goes up.

Once the table is up and you want to change the sanding belt, you'll need to remove the belt cover. On the front there is one bolt and one knob.

On the back there are two knobs. Once all four are free the cover will hook off. With the table vertical push the tension lever up, and now you can slide the belt off and replace. Reverse the process and remember to put the screw back for the dust cover. Once the table is down undo the bolt at the back on the tracking knob, once you're happy the belt is running straight tighten the bolt up.

For the disc sander, remove the table and there are five or so screws to remove after which you can take the cover off. The discs have self adhesive backing, the paper will come off easy enough
but you'll be left to clean all the glue off!

Hope this helps Paul :D

That's superb, thanks so much!

So I now know I'm missing the table, the stop thing above the belt and the dust extractor. I'll have to engineer something when I have the chance, shouldn't be too difficult. I wondered if it was possible to use the table from the disc on the belt by swinging it round, but doesn't look like it is. Oh and I don't have the belt cover underneath.

It's interesting how similar the tools are, even though they're different manufacturers, mine has a few differences around the belt tension, I think mine is a bit easier to setup and possibly a bit more robust, but the bed itself is identical . I've also got one screw and a hinge on the disc cover. Just picked up some discs and used youtube to work out what I wanted and how to fit. The disc isn't a lot of use without a table, but it'll be useable until I have time to spend some time setting it up.

What model is yours, might be able to pick up some of the missing bits if I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Hello Paul.

The table sits on a bar which is held by two bolts, and two bolts again on the main body. There's also a bracket below the belt sander to use the table when the belt is vertical,
although I've never used the belt in the vertical position. This model is the Clarke CS6-9C https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cs6-9bd-belt-disc-sander
You'll see in the images where the table is fixed to use on the belt sander. What is missing in the Machine Mart image is the bolt above the dust cover removal bolt which you can
see in my third image down, this is so you can remove the work piece stop bar over the belt sander when using the table and the belt in the vertical. Hope that makes sense :)

Just a heads up - over on the General Woodworking section I've made a new post asking for help about my own (so far not very successful) efforts at using a funnel as a dust collector over a small disc/belt sander.

Any comments/ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

AES

Back