New Hegner, Workshop Tidy Up & Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Brian :D All the sawdust is at the tip thankfully! Twice I forgot to keep an eye on the chip extractor and the top bag started to fill up. Makes a right mess emptying it :lol:
Thankfully most of my timber is now planed all round, although I suppose I'll have to put some through again depending on thickness required.
There's a few pieces of Sapele which are 60-80 mm thick, I was going to put them through the bandsaw but I'll wait a while...I doubt it'll be that clean come weekend
now I'm free to use the saw. Can't believe it's been a month since I sold the Sealey, I have some catching up to do :)

Pete - where in Manchester do you live, I have 6 bags of sawdust/off cuts. Also what night is your lads night out, so I can empty them carefully around your workshop.

As I know, what your really want now is that workshop look, like the rest of us have.

I am of course joking and WOW - Wish I had the space, my garage is a right mess, and I even built a log cabin a few years back - now I cannot even swing a cat without hitting something.

I would love a double size garage plot for a new workshop. - time will tell.
Sooo Jealous of your setup

Wonderful set-up Pete. It gets better and better. You must feel good going out there to work even if you don't do anything but count your blades. Nice to see you've also built-in an area for your lass to use when she brings you a coffee :twisted:

You can sit and share an ice cream !!!

toesy":1rvs10a4 said:
Pete - where in Manchester do you live, I have 6 bags of sawdust/off cuts. Also what night is your lads night out, so I can empty them carefully around your workshop.

As I know, what your really want now is that workshop look, like the rest of us have.

I am of course joking and WOW - Wish I had the space, my garage is a right mess, and I even built a log cabin a few years back - now I cannot even swing a cat without hitting something.

I would love a double size garage plot for a new workshop. - time will tell.
Sooo Jealous of your setup
Hello Toesy :) I should have a saw dust collection point or zone, our lass reckons I have zones all around the house where I collect or dump things :D
I reckon you'll be busy this weekend Toesy creating your own little haven, you owe it to yourself :)

bodgerbaz":1rvs10a4 said:
Wonderful set-up Pete. It gets better and better. You must feel good going out there to work even if you don't do anything but count your blades. Nice to see you've also built-in an area for your lass to use when she brings you a coffee :twisted:

You can sit and share an ice cream !!!
Thanks Barry :) and it does feel good going in there now, just deciding what'll be the first thing I make! I sometimes wish I hadn't bought the freezer, and I did think of getting rid last week
so I could keep the T/S! But you're right, it'll be handy for ice cream come summer :)

Blimey Pete, that looks fantastic, I'm really jealous. If it was me I'd just be going in there and sitting down - not doing anything - just looking around admiring it all. Well done Sir.

One question if I may? With that Numatic Axi vac + the Hegner both running, can you still hear the radio/CD/whatever when it's set at normal volume?

Krgds
AES

Thank you AES :) I haven't had them both working in harmony at the moment, I switched the vac on after unpacking and it is hard to say which is louder, the motor or the sound of the suction.
I wouldn't thought together they'll make much noise but I will give you an update once I have them running together :)

Thanks Pete, I look forward to an update on the "double noise" level when you've had a chance to test it (no proper Db meter measurements required, just "comfortable" or not).

AES

I had a trip to Wickes last night for a rain hopper and some piping, I haven't decided on the full extraction set up yet but I wanted to make a start.
I printed a couple of Martin's Bears and cut one with the extraction on and one with it off, giving everything a good clean in between. I should
have removed the hopper to see how much was on the floor with no extraction but as the hopper is so big, all the dust that falls under the table
ends up in the hopper with out extraction.
What I should have photographed but forgot, was underneath the saw before and after, but the difference was very noticeable and with the
extraction on, the underneath was almost spotless where there was a build up of dust on the table release bar and the Henger vacuum pipe.

This is the basic set up, the hose form the Numatic has been pushed inside the piping until I find a way of connecting and/or finished the
rest of the extraction. The Numatic hose is 51 mm, the piping is 68 mm.

From above and before the first bear was cut.

After the first bear was cut with out the extraction on.

And this is after the second bear was cut with the extraction on. I'm convinced there is a little less dust on the table, and I reckon with a smaller hopper or if the hopper was higher up, there would be less
again. But then with the hopper higher up it may interfere with blade changing.

These are some of the other parts I looked at for above table extraction, an ajustable offset and a telescopic offset. The pipes on the telescopic offset are too loose and I thought/hoped the adjustable offset
was more of a ball and joint type fitting looking at the image but it isn't. I was looking at these I'm hoping to rig up some form of extraction that sits between the saw and the pillar drill.
I think I'll end up buying the Bendi-Hoze from Axminster after all, probably two and have one coming up at the back of the drill.

AES asked about the noise when both saw and Numatic were on! The saw runs almost silently being bolted down, and the Numatic is a very quiet extractor. I think I've mentioned already
it's hard to say if you can hear the motor above the suction. With my set up using the rain hopper I can honestly say that the most noise comes from the suction, and placing your hand
above the rain hopper you can feel the air being sucked down. Perhaps a smaller hopper would more efficient and draw more dust towards it but there may be an increase in noise.
I'm only guessing as I'm certainly no scientist :) I did brush some dust off the table by hand and it all ended up being sucked in!
I best add that whilst the saw was on, the dust blower on the saw was pointed so it blew dust towards the hopper. Didn't try any other way so can't say if there would have been a big difference.
Once I've bought some other bits I'll try it again with above table extraction on at the same time, see what the difference is!

Couple of things I forgot :) I've found the blade changing a little fiddly, no doubt it'll be something I'll get use to, but I dropped the bottom clamp down the hopper four times, twice with a blade
attached so it was easier to get out. I'll pick up the grid they make to stop leaves getting in, may be that'll help!

And here's one of the bears cut from 12 mm Birch ply from the supplier Geoff mentioned on ebay :)

Thanks Pete. That's very helpful and informative - you may just be saving me the hassle of making my own dust sucker as per Matthias Wandel.

Cheers
AES

You're welcome AES :) I thought of making one but the hopper was only £7.49 and all the parts fit together perfectly.

Nice to see you back making things again Pete. I was starting to think the OCD cleaning and polishing was getting to you matey ;-)

Thanks Barry :) I'm starting to feel normal again after all the cleaning, and it was a really good feeling using the saw again. Can't believe it's been a month since
selling the Sealey! But the Hegner is a lovely machine to use and cuts perfectly. Haven't tried any internal cuts yet but no doubt I will have by next week :D

They are lovely machines without a doubt. I had a Delta before the Hegner and I must say it's like moving from a Sierra to a Saab :shock:

Pipe or port sizes are frustrating Brian, that's why I didn't buy the Bendi-Hoze from Axmiinster last week. If you make something with a 75 mm diameter at least make
a bloody coupling so customers can attach it to an extractor. I know I'll end buying one as it'll do what I want but I can do without the fannying about to make it fit! :)
I use the chip extractor on my bandsaw which keeps the machine a little cleaner, but really fine dust comes out the top bag on the extractor, so the extractor is pushed
under the two way air filter when in use. Hopefully that'll take care of the all the nasties.

Once I've bought some other bits I'll try it again with above table extraction on at the same time, see what the difference is!

It makes a BIG difference if done properly, Pete. You've probably seen my setup on the forum somewhere, I don't see any sawdust at all above the table. Below the table, all I get is a small amount in the little tray I put under the bottom blade clamp.

Thanks Martin. I have seen your piccies and I was looking for them again a few days but couldn't find them.
I think a little problem I'll have is, Wickes don't have a 68mm "T" joint, they're all offset ones. Should've thought
have that before I got carried away.

Pete, I share your frustration re different hose & coupler diameters. All my portable power tools (e.g. jigsaws, sanders, routers, etc) and all my bench top machines (e.g. bandsaw, disc sander) ALL have different diameter extractor ports, and just as you say, it's a real faff cobbling up bits and bobs with gaffer tape to get hoses to fit. To add to that, the extractor ports built into the disc sander don't do much in the way of extraction anyway, even after I have fiddled & faddled to get a hose attached.

A bright(er) spot - I don't know how it is in UK these days, but here shops which sell stuff like vacuum cleaners (domestic) have to take busted ones back for disposal. Our local supermarket has a big box full of such "carp" in the carpark and I've found several discarded vac hoses which, much to SWIMBO's disgust, I've collared. One was a direct fit onto the extractor port of the bandsaw and works well with the cheapo Lidl ashes vac (the other hose end fitted directly into that vac) but in general they're all (slightly) different sizes so it's all more than a bit of a hassle! (BTW, I keep looking for a discarded Dyson so that I can pinch the cyclone bit to save making one - or a Thein - but so far no luck).

As said in an earlier post, my shop is in the cellar, a big advantage in several ways, but as it's shared with " 'er upstairs", for stuff like the central heating boiler and the washing machine & tumble drier I am also under some pressure to radically improve dust collection and reduce noise. Hence my interest in this thread (it's not only jealousy). So thanks for posting.

Cheers
AES

Back