New dust control tool, review with pics.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought it was about time to do my own tool review so here goes.

A sucessful day at the shops today saw me coming home with a couple of new tools which should hopefully help with dust control in the shop. I guess most people have this already but for those who don't I'll post some pics and review them.

Please remember to always wear your safety glasses when working with tools :lol:

Upon arriving home I laid out the new tools on my table saw to inspect the build quality. I was especially impressed with the quality of the materials used.

dust1.jpg

You can see from the close up off the label that this is a genuine Morrisons 69p job, and the broom was a massive 99p.

dust2.jpg

The main dust control tool does a great job of moving the dust from one place to another and creating neat little piles.

dust3.jpg

And the second dust control tool does a pretty good job of then removing these little piles of dust into the bin. On a down side the specially machined rubber front edge of the dust control extraction device doesn't quite sit tightly against the floor without exerting quite a bit of pressure, resulting in a little dust residue left behind.

dust4.jpg

In conclusion I would give these tools 8/10 for build quality, and 10/10 for easy of use. Be aware they don't come with any instructions so you will need a little common sense to work out the best technique to use.

Footnote for anyone who is still reading this... You must be really bored and obviously have too much spare time on your hands :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin

Footnote for anyone who is still reading this... You must be really bored and obviously have too much spare time on your hands

I also have the same dustpan and brush (sorry - "extraction device" :lol: ) in the workshop.. :wink:

Andrew

My business partner wouldn't have a clue what those items do, eventually he will feature on BBC's "life of grime" :shock:

It must be the slope as I've got two of each :lol: I'm sure I paid about 99p for your 69p jobby one so you bagged a bargain, yours at 69p is gloatworthy. :lol:

I suppose it's too early to see how they will fair over time, but one of my dust pans (I think thats what they're called) developed a crack near the handle probably from over use of downforce to make the leading edge stay flat to the floor. I wonder if you can get replacement handels? I know you can for your 99p tool :lol:

99p? That's cheaper than buying the equivalent piece of dowel :roll: On a more practical note I wonder if anyone would do a comparison with the more expensive "Festool" of dust control tools - the metal "Big Mouth"? And are natural bristles desirable in the "broom" component, or would synthetic be better? How well do shavings clear the bristles, or do they get caught up and have to be manually removed? Somehow I don't think you're taking this reviewing seriously... :-k

Cheers, Alf :wink:

Alf":1t1j48lk said:
And are natural bristles desirable in the "broom" component, or would synthetic be better?

There is no doubt that synthetic are superior.
As one of the older members of this forum, my experience is that unless your floor is pitted concrete or some such strata synthetic has the edge on bristle.
Hope this helps.

:roll: must get out on Sunday mornings :?

Alf":szm3q0g7 said:
On a more practical note I wonder if anyone would do a comparison with the more expensive "Festool" of dust control tools - the metal "Big Mouth"?

I would welcome this - every time I tread on my plastic dustpan it breaks :? :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":7tlgiroo said:
Alf":7tlgiroo said:
On a more practical note I wonder if anyone would do a comparison with the more expensive "Festool" of dust control tools - the metal "Big Mouth"?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The simple cure is "it must be hung" like all game. :wink:

Alf":zclty7v9 said:
99p? That's cheaper than buying the equivalent piece of dowel :roll: On a more practical note I wonder if anyone would do a comparison with the more expensive "Festool" of dust control tools - the metal "Big Mouth"? And are natural bristles desirable in the "broom" component, or would synthetic be better? How well do shavings clear the bristles, or do they get caught up and have to be manually removed? Somehow I don't think you're taking this reviewing seriously... :-k

Cheers, Alf :wink:
what angle should the edge be sharpened? :-k Indeed should it be sharpened? 8-[

Nice one Martin, =D> =D> you flash git, just like LN I paid 99p for exactly the same dust extraction device. To make matters worse SWMBO caught me using them the other day and has ordered me to clean up my own mess in doors. ](*,) ](*,). When am I ever going to spend time in the workshop now :-({|=

Cheers

Mike

Paul Chapman":1yqvp29j said:

Paul, the blue ones are weaker. I had one and it broke first time I stood on it. I have a grey one now and I've stood on it at least twice and it is fine.

Dave

I don't like the use of plastic in "dust collection" devices because of the risk of explosion from static induced sparks.
I recommend Natural Bristles and Wooden handles and an Aluminium (non sparking) dustpan. Much safer!

I also think that the tools tested are too small to be effective and should be at least twice as large. I know they are difficult to fit in a small shop and are expensive, but you have to ask yourself how much is your health worth. There are well known websites that concur.

Except for the above quibbles a balanced, fair, very well written and photographed review.

Thanks.

These dust pan brush handles are going the same way as Record and Stanley plane handles made of plastic . :sick: Why cant they make them of rosewood like Crown Tools or Bubinga Like Clico Tools.

Do you flatten the backs of the dust pan and polish on water stones ? Also do you put a secondary bevel on the dust pans?
What about the ruler trick?

Cheers SDP :lol:

Back