New content from St. Roy of Underhill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much obliged, Mike!

Thanks for the news of some good TV to relieve your drought!

(I think I saw a trailer for some new Dr Who programmes recently, so you may be in luck soon for some traffic in the opposite direction...)

And domo arrigatto to you as well sir. The Doctor arrives on our shore about the correct number of hours later (plus or minus an hour) that time zones dictate. Have gotten the first 2 episodes of the present season so far. definitely a welcome diversion from the tidal wave of so called reality programs.

They have been filming some more Sherlock episodes here in Bristol and I also spotted their Hansom cabs last time I was in London.

AndyT":3uhq3qz5 said:
They have been filming some more Sherlock episodes here in Bristol and I also spotted their Hansom cabs last time I was in London.
That explains why the parking has been especially bad* on the Downs near us recently, I guess. They put the chow wagons up there and sometimes make-up - I assume they run a ferry service to wherever they're actually shooting.

On topic: I'll be saving up Roy for later in the Autumn when it gets really gloomy. It's my early winter treat: The Woodwright's shop on the tablet over breakfast - start the day with a smile (sure beats Radio 4!). It's not marital disharmony - I get up really early, so we breakfast at different times usually.

E.

*The other reason for the Downs being chock-a-block, is the RPZs. It's the new commuter car-park, thanks to the mayor.

Fantastic, literally been on pins and needles waiting to see how Moriarty figures into this! If he can pull off reincarnation , he gets my vote as villain of the decade. Just to clarify , since I am a major Marvel and DC comics geek , that covers a lot of villains.

Television filming is quite 'normal' round these parts now. The Sherlock, Dr Who or Casualty circus pops up fairly regularly. No wonder these programmes cost so much to make.

The local power station appeared in the last series of Dr Who, surprisingly futuristic in it's looks after the chimneys were airbrushed out.

Watch out for some medieval scenes in this series.

Attachments

• DSC05622.JPG
    DSC05622.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,963
Hi Eric , I do much the same with my tablet . Mostly take it to doctors appt. and hospital visits. Quite a few times I get a fellow traveller who hears the theme song leak from my headphones (my hearing ain't what it used to be) and moves in to ask if he can watch along.
SWB , that looks like a great location for a filming. could sell that as a postcard if anyone still sends those. I'm in rural Ontario ,Canada and while we don't have the history depth we sure got some wide open spaces. Maybe the Doctor could film here for an uninhabited planet or new colonies shows?

Veering back on topic for a moment, don't forget to keep checking back on the site at http://video.unctv.org/program/woodwrights-shop/ from time to time as more content comes on line.

Episodes from the 35th annual season which are already available include a lightweight cradle with steam-bent ends, recessed carving for gingerbread moulds (with Mary May) and a Shaker table with drawers.

The episode listing on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Woodwright's_Shop_episodes shows that treats in the pipeline include bowl carving (with Peter Follansbee), Shaker style turning, making and using hollows and rounds and a Welsh stick chair.

Lots to enjoy while you wonder how he has managed to age so little in 35 years!

lanemaux":1p8kffc7 said:
Fantastic, literally been on pins and needles waiting to see how Moriarty figures into this! If he can pull off reincarnation , he gets my vote as villain of the decade. Just to clarify , since I am a major Marvel and DC comics geek , that covers a lot of villains.

If you'll allow me to momentarily veer off topic briefly....

I''m delighted to come across someone who thinks comic books are an important part of culture (!).

Could I ask you where you'd place the Silver Surfer? Villain or good guy?

I must add, I'm not a comic book geek, just someone who appreciates the art form.

I really enjoy these shows, but the subtitles are really annoying, especially with the black background, right at the place where the action is going on. Fair play to have subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing people, but they surely could have left the background clear.
Paddy

Paddy Roxburgh":mw5ge5ek said:
I really enjoy these shows, but the subtitles are really annoying, especially with the black background, right at the place where the action is going on. Fair play to have subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing people, but they surely could have left the background clear.
Paddy

It's a bit hard to be sure which shows you mean - as this thread stretches to include all TV content worth watching - but if you mean The Woodwright's Shop, you can turn Closed Captions on - or off - by clicking on the CC button, which appears at the bottom right hand side of the screen when you move the mouse over that area.

I guess the captions are automatically produced, as they are on YouTube, without any intervention by a human who could assess the importance of the action in that bit of the screen.

Hi Zedd . In his early incarnation of herald of Galactus , Silver Surfer might best be described as amoral, as beings on such a cosmic scale as they are not accountable to the likes of us. At least that is what he thought before meeting the blind beauty Alicia Masters. He has since mellowed into such a hero that a villain (Mephistopheles) referred to him as nauseatingly noble (he was trying to ingest him at the time).
I've always liked comics because of the long term plotting and inter-related storylines. As mind fluff goes , once there is willing suspension of disbelief , they are quite entertaining.
To get a fairly good look at some pretty good animated versions of superhero fare there are lots of shows and movies about the Justice league (DC comics) or the Avengers (Marvel comics) on you-tube. Some of these are mostly for children , others ... less so (Assault on Arkham is pretty good PG fare with Batman in an almost supporting role to the suicide squad).
If you like art for art sake , may I also put in a plug for Japanese animé. A good starting point would be Porco Rosso or perhaps Princess Mononoke , Both by Myazaki , the Godfather of Japanese animé.

It's worth looking back at the online content again - all but one of the latest series episodes are now available to watch. Recent additions include making a moulding plane and a Welsh stick chair.

Sherlock fans have to wait until new year's day...

Got the most recent 4 a couple of days back Andy, saving them for my every 3 month visit to London Ontarios cancer clinic. They should just about get me through the waiting room lag from registering to seeing the PHD. As far as waiting for Baker Streets team supreme , I've waited this long , a month or 3 more I could do on my head.

AndyT":23fy69np said:
It's worth looking back at the online content again - all but one of the latest series episodes are now available to watch. Recent additions include making a moulding plane and a Welsh stick chair.

Moulding plane episode was particularly interesting - at last I understand the numbering of hollows & rounds!

It wasn't wholly clear (or I wasn't paying attention), but the spring angle is presumably derived from two things:
1. addressing the wood at an angle that permits all the detail to be cut fairly well.
2. being able to push the plane onto the surface being cut to keep it in the correct path.

If I am correct, I can see how you might get planes from different makers, nominally doing the same thing, but with different spring angles (as they take a different view).

Given the use of hollows & rounds to touch-in places where it was tricky for the moulding plane (grain dive, etc.), I wondered: when moulding planes were supplied, did the makers specify the curves being cut in H+R numbers, or were they standardised shapes/sizes and a thing a joiner or cabinetmaker was expected to know?

The spring angle helps the mouth to remain narrow across a wide moulding. it it was upright the tapering mouth would get wider on the shallower parts of the profile.
Like the throat of a plane getting wider as you get further away from the mouth.

Pete

Beat me to it Andy!

Back