New business idea. Can't fail.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Based on recent Festool auctions on the bay, I have devised a fiendish new business idea. I am going to purchase loads of new Festool equipment with the full 3 year warranty. I will then (and this is the clever bit) attach the kit to the back of my van with some rope, drive around for a few days and stick it on Ebay with no warranty or returns at approx 10% more than I paid for it myself.

Seems foolproof to me.

You should have bought your stock a couple of weeks back in order to maximise profits with the recent exchange rates :)

Is this like ordering a ferrari? by the time its delivered its already been sold on twice for a profit each time?

Obviously, I am NOT a festool owner (or wannabe)

Bob,
Based on your recent delivery experiences, if you did buy any Festool kit you'd need a diplomatic courier and for them to have it shackled to their wrist for any chance of it getting to you at the first attempt :)

its ok, TNT would still send it to the wrong country, so I could claim off the insurance at new for old rates.

Black rope with green stripes, innit?

I have seen just the same weird phenomenon with the areas I'm usually interested in (not Festool). People seem to pay silly prices just because it's on eBay.

That said, "Wheeler Dealers" on telly (restored and then) sold a BMW Isetta bubble car for £12,000. I missed the date of the show (it had a 2012 tax disc). It looked gorgeous, if you like that sort of thing, but really? The previous owner had it garaged for 35 years and paid £30.00 for it. It wasn't even black & green.

Eric The Viking":36cqc5c4 said:
Black rope with green stripes, innit?

I have seen just the same weird phenomenon with the areas I'm usually interested in (not Festool). People seem to pay silly prices just because it's on eBay.

That said, "Wheeler Dealers" on telly (restored and then) sold a BMW Isetta bubble car for £12,000. I missed the date of the show (it had a 2012 tax disc). It looked gorgeous, if you like that sort of thing, but really? The previous owner had it garaged for 35 years and paid £30.00 for it. It wasn't even black & green.
Missed a trick there, namely a grey paint job with a black racing stripe and Kermit green door handles, £23,000.

Eric The Viking":2q76g92q said:

It appears to me that some people are working on the assumption that eBay (and/or auction ad/or car boot) prices are low "just because" and therefore any price paid must be a bargain by definition.

They're wrong, of course.

BugBear

I don't know if anybody still does this but there was a spate of eBay seller cuting and pasting argos adverts and adding 10%.
When someone buys they simply order it from argos and give the buyers address.
No stock, no posting, no need to even leave the house.

Some of these sellers were clearing big profits for a couple of hours work a day.

Ingenious or unscrupulous, you decide.

Water-Mark":2pq4z4bx said:
I don't know if anybody still does this but there was a spate of eBay seller cuting and pasting argos adverts and adding 10%.
When someone buys they simply order it from argos and give the buyers address.
No stock, no posting, no need to even leave the house.

Some of these sellers were clearing big profits for a couple of hours work a day.

Ingenious or unscrupulous, you decide.

That's no different to any other middle man though is it really?

Go into landrover dealership parts department. Order every part for a defender 90. Pays your bill. Go home. Assemble. Whack it on ebay for £110k. Jobs a goodun.

Spray it offwhite and write FesteringStool on the side +20k.

cantseeitfrommyhouse":1ga6ekd3 said:
Go into landrover dealership parts department. Order every part for a defender 90. Pays your bill. Go home. Assemble. Whack it on ebay for £110k. Jobs a goodun.

Spray it offwhite and write FesteringStool on the side +20k.

The parts bill would be more than that!

lurker":otd3jhbk said:
Maybe people are using pay pal for money laundering

I sold a Gibson guitar on eBay f0r £3,000. PayPal refused to pay my money over until I had satisfied them I was who I said I was. Because the only passport I had was an out of date one, they refused to accept it as proof. I persuaded them in the end, but it took me three months to get my cash, whilst the purchaser had enjoyed ownership of the guitar. There were times when I thought I would never get my cash.

The reason for this malarkey? PayPal said I could have been money laundering!

When I finally got my cash I closed the account and I wouldn't touch them with someone else's barge-pole. As for selling on eBay. Never again!
:twisted:

Swmbo cancelled her PayPal account after we were defrauded of £45 by someone in the Ukraine and they weren't remotely interested. We got the money back as it was paid by an HSBC credit card, but she's worked for banks for 33 years and knows the systems and she was jumping at their indifference.

ebay went pants when selling anything less than £10 was not worth it as the costs were almost 3/4 of that once paid for and suchlike.

rarely sell on ebay now as everyone wants to either buy things for pennies or sell at massive markups.

Back