New Blue Spruce bench chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.... this is not good news at all. I'm already thinking of the reasons why I don't need them.
:lol:
Cheers, Ed

Seen these in the flesh. They are nice - kinda how the dovetail chisels should of been. These don't look like they would break if you pushed on them :wink:
Philly :D

Philly":3r58m8cw said:
Seen these in the flesh. They are nice - kinda how the dovetail chisels should of been.
Philly :D

Surprised Phil - I find my BS DT chsiels are superb, especially with the thin blades

ohh! I really don't need them......ugly.....cheap.....useless.....

I need to repeat it at least 100 time a day.......

http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/cgi/ ... key=BCSET1

Well at todays currency rate they come out at £61 each. Nice as they are I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them,I don't think I need them. :(

Now I know you can have them made to order from Blue Spruce what I would like are some Butt chisels but I'm afraid that would cost. In the mean time these are on my shopping list

Set of 12 Ashley Iles Mk.2 Butt Chisels (Suede Roll) £265.00 (Incl. VAT)
AIBUSET12LROL.jpg

Lord Nibbo":2yashw6w said:
Well at todays currency rate they come out at £61 each. Nice as they are I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them, I don't think I need them,I don't think I need them. :(

Becareful if you jst change the punctuation: "I don't think. I need them!. I don't think. I need them!". :p

They look great - and with the BS name no doubt tehy will be - but what I need are 1mm and 2mm dovetail chisels - 3mm is too wide for the sockets I want to make.
Any thoughts?

Handworkfan":2s35njdf said:
but what I need are 1mm and 2mm dovetail chisels - 3mm is too wide for the sockets I want to make.
Any thoughts?

Buy a cheaper chisel and grind it down. At one of the shows, Colin Edon-Eden (who at that time was editor of F&C) had one on his stand. It was one of the Marples with the red and yellow split-proof handles. He had ground down about an inch of the chisel for use on very narrow work - it was quite successful.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

What kind of saws are you using? Unless I'm befuddled, 2mm is only about four western DT saw kerfs, or eight razor saw kerfs.
1mm chisels (even 2mm) are really springy sideways - less than ideal for chopping even with a toffee hammer
If you bisect your waste with a vertical cut, you might then be able to use
any small enough chisel, such as:
1/16" (1.5mm) LV detail chisel (Really good - though I'm allergic to Pau Ferro, which is a pain)
Kirschen micro chisels (again down to 1.5mm)
Stubai and Pfeil also make micro/woodblock chisels (though I've found the latter brittle in spite of grinding back)

Handworkfan":17v9nv0q said:
They look great - and with the BS name no doubt tehy will be - but what I need are 1mm and 2mm dovetail chisels - 3mm is too wide for the sockets I want to make.
Any thoughts?

With a 1:8 slope, a 3mm chisel can work DTs of zero width (at the narrow end) in 12mm wood.

So what work are you doing that has narrower socket bases than that?!?

BugBear (intrigued)

I Really don't need em.
My Japanese chisels are good enough for me :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

When I want scrape paint off I can always use my marples :shock: :shock: :shock:

bugbear":vk8ejoyo said:
Handworkfan":vk8ejoyo said:
Any thoughts?

With a 1:8 slope, a 3mm chisel can work DTs of zero width (at the narrow end) in 12mm wood.

So what work are you doing that has narrower socket bases than that?!?

BugBear (intrigued)
Half-blind DTs in 9mm wood, and houndstooth DTs in 12mm, for small boxes.

dunbarhamlin":31yb1lqh said:
What kind of saws are you using? Unless I'm befuddled, 2mm is only about four western DT saw kerfs, or eight razor saw kerfs.
I've got a custom-made Wnezloff that Mike made for me when I told him my needs - HBDTs in thin timber, and also a Japanese saw I bought on John Lloyd's recommendation. The issue first arose when dovetailing small drawers for my wife's 35th anniversary present - a jewellery box with banks of drawsers flanked by hanging space for chains.
i've got a bit of a taste since then for small-scale work

Back