New Bandsaw Advice - RP BS400 / 350S / Sabre350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robbo3":1tej8388 said:
MikeJhn":1tej8388 said:
Comparing the protagonists:

************Throat depth:************Maximum depth of cut.
BS350**********340***********************230********1.1Kw*******£699.99********Blade tension release lever.
SA350**********345***********************285********1.1Kw*******£899.99**************Ditto
BS400**********416***********************305********1.5Kw*******£999.99**************Ditto
SA450**********445***********************320********1.5Kw*******£1399.99*************Ditto
Startrite403****390***********************280*********1.5Kw*****£1499.99********No Blade tension release lever.

Mike
That's a very handy list for anyone who's in the market for this size of bandsaw.
Thanks.

Not forgetting that if bought from a 'Show', Record certainly offer a discount in addition to the 5 year warranty, which counts for something. I also had free delivery when I bought mine.
Malcolm

having little luck with getting any discounts on the phone.
Tried Snaintons and was quoted list price.
Tried record power direct to be told there were no offers or anything coming up.

So i'll either suck it up and pay full whack, but more likely wait a while for a show.

Yandles is too far away for me (500 mile round trip), so will have to wait for Snaintons show day on 24/2

If anyone is going to the Sabre launch at Yandles on Friday or the RP roadshow on the 9/2/18, i would be interested to know if they have any offers and the prices.

Record shows
- http://www.recordpower.co.uk/shows
Yandle & Sons Show
9th February 2018 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
10th February 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Yandle & Sons Ltd, Hurst Works, Martock, Somerset, TA12 6JU, UK

DJ Evans
12th February 2018 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
13th February 2018 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
DJ Evans, St Botolphs Lane, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 2AU, UK

Snainton Woodworking Supplies
24th February 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Snainton Woodworking Supplies, Barker Lane, Snainton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13 9BG, UK

Data Power Tools
2nd March 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
3rd March 2018 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Data Power Tools, 427 Cowbridge Road West, Ely, CARDIFF, South Glamorgan, CF5 5TF

Tewkesbury Saw
9th March 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
10th March 2018 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Tewkesbury Saw, Newtown Trading Estate, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 8JG, UK

The Midlands Woodworking and Power Tool Show 2018 with DJ Evans
23rd March 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
24th March 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
DJ Evans, Newark Showground,, Nottingham, NG24 2NY

They don't mention cast iron wheels on the BS350 clone so I assume they are aluminium, which is a negative point, thinking about it I have not seen anyone with stock of these for some time. Interesting that the only review on the site says the guides are not good, love the picture of the drawer in the stand with sawdust in it.

I did have a paragraph about Charnwood desirability, but it made me sound like a Festool Snob so I deleted it.

Mike

A quick eBay search for the crack (I like looking at machines) reveals some better things that what you folks are looking at.
While not 20" saws, which is about the right size, still an improvment, and single phase for folks who have employees.
These saws have best offer prices, but they could be haggled with.
Dont let some business fool talk VAT for a start.
I seen an Axi 4300 and a CML (Italian machine) could be got for the same dough as the cheap one mentioned.

Look for bandsaw and band saw

Robbo3":1sauzzej said:
Record shows
- http://www.recordpower.co.uk/shows
<SNIP>

Tewkesbury Saw
9th March 2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
10th March 2018 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Tewkesbury Saw, Newtown Trading Estate, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 8JG, UK

Off topic but I thought Ooh they're not to far from me I wonder what they are like.

Google Google Google

That's one of the most disappointing web sites I've seen for not displaying any actual prices of stuff.
I wonder why they bother with a web site at all.

Sorry for the random rant

-Neil

Being in the market for a new Bandsaw myself I followed this thread with great interest

In real terms I suppose we are spoiled for choice; the Chinese and other foreign importers keeping the prices competitive

Undecided; I contacted a woodworking pal and went with his advice
He sold his Electra Beckum Bandsaw in favour of a Hammer Bandsaw made by Felder in Austria, he now regrets getting without his E/B

So I ordered THIS

Metabo having taken over E/B a while back

My sliding cross-cut saw and my Rotary sander are made by Metabo and they both perform extremely well
Should be taking delivery of my first Bandsaw on Monday

Fairly new to woodwork I don't recall ever having seen a bandsaw; although I do have an old Hegner scrollsaw

Roll on Monday :)

MikeJhn":2358qd3l said:
I did have a paragraph about Charnwood desirability, but it made me sound like a Festool Snob so I deleted it.

I'm not really a Charnwood fanboy, only got one piece of kit from them, 12" disc sander, pretty happy with it, not a lot to go wrong I suppose!

You not a Charnwood fan then?

My current one is a Record Power BS250, for all the talk of RP's quality I don't see much evidence of it in my machine (guides aren't parallel to the blade so adjustment is fun), I have to wedge the table trunnion with bits of card in order to square it with blade.

Maybe the higher spec RP machines are built to higher standard?

My experience with the 250 has kind of put me off RP so I'm looking at alternatives, one being Charnwood.

Feel free to let rip if you've had one of their machines and it's rubbish!

Well i've just got back from a long trip to the nearest RP dealer to me (Snaintons). Bad news was he had just sold his last Sabre 350 the night before. I think thats the model I am going to go with. The BS400 is just a tad too big for the space i have, the BS350 looks a little flimsy around the guide post.

I did manage to get a look at the Sabre350, as the display model he had sold yesterday was waiting to be collected and was (in pieces) in the dispatch area. It looks very nice. They also had a Sabre 450 on display too, and like others have said, the sabres do look a good improvement on the BS models.

Apparently RP are not going to be getting any more deliveries of these until early March, so unless i find a dealer with one in stock, then it looks like I am waiting until the show @ Newark.

@OscarG - I have the BS250 - it's never let me down apart from resawing at full depth. Maybe yours is POETS one? All my RP gear is of good quality.

On the Charnwood side, i did enquire about them (they were in stock and discounted). I was advised RP is much better quality, and this denied them a sale today!

I'm not a fanboy of any brand, just like to get good value :)

It is generally understood that the Record Power machines below the 300 are not up to close scrutiny, even above the 300 IMO the guides leave a lot to be desired, but the overall frame, wheels, motor and bed are, I have found very good, it seems that any bandsaw that does not have a blade de-tensioning device fitted seem to be a bit below par, just an observation.

Mike

fezman":1ir0iwnj said:
@OscarG - I have the BS250 - it's never let me down apart from resawing at full depth. Maybe yours is POETS one? All my RP gear is of good quality.

Not sure what you mean by POETS? Assuming you mean I have a dodgy one?!

I took a couple of pics of mine yesterday, I've contacted RP, hoping they can advise.

Here's the problems, look at how gap between side-guides on upper guide changes when lowering guard, it's miles out. Typo on the image captions, but you can see the issue.

21mes7r.jpg

Table not square to blade. You can adjust it side to side, sure but how do you square it front to back? This was only way I could think of doing it:

14ubczr.jpg

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but have you tightened the guard lock when checking? I forgot on one occasion.

Mike

MikeJhn":3l53d42s said:
I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but have you tightened the guard lock when checking? I forgot on one occasion.

Mike

Yep, I actually think it's the guard lock causing the problem.

When you tighten the lock it seems to pull the guard mechanism to one side.

Squaring the table can sometimes be awkward, but the table bolts under the trunion do have some play in them. Try slackening them all off and tighten one at a time with a spirit level on the table and maybe feeler guage type wedges or washers, It has caught other people out and I learned this from another thread on this forum some time ago.

Does it consistently pull it to one side no matter what height it is at?

Mike

OscarG":1tk56p7c said:
fezman":1tk56p7c said:

Not sure what you mean by POETS? Assuming you mean I have a dodgy one?!

Pee off early tomorrows Saturday - AKA a friday afternoon special.

Sorry to see that yours has issues, I'm sure Record will help out.

Alexam":1tfvdhuk said:
Squaring the table can sometimes be awkward, but the table bolts under the trunion do have some play in them. Try slackening them all off and tighten one at a time with a spirit level on the table and maybe feeler guage type wedges or washers, It has caught other people out and I learned this from another thread on this forum some time ago.

Ah I guess that's neater than my paper-stuffed-under the bracket option!

Do you think it's odd though that there's no facility to adjust the table in that axis?

Do more expensive bandsaws have a proper method for fine-tuning the table in all directions?

Back