New Axminster Tools & Machinery Web Site Launched!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damion

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that today we launched our new web site.

I’m really keen to hear your feedback good or bad on the new site, please let me know!

Damion Norcombe
Technology Manager
Axminster Tools & Machinery

Special offer link is broken
text search is inflexible ie "router lift" does not find the quaintly named "router elevator"
The top category bar should have a way of finding downloads and other services.
The last incarnation of the website made it difficult to find downloads as well.

The best version was about two incarnations ago

you have to search about to find pen kits looks nice but i liked the old one.
pip
i claim the prize :lol:

Myfordman":1z2dhg7g said:

Strangely enough that is exactly what I think also !!! Sad person that I am I use to often just browse the site and have a wander around.

The version until yesterday didn't seem easy to do that with and I got out of the habit and would only ever use it to go and look for something specific I was after, the result being a lot less impulse buys and things I didn't know I needed, a good result for me and not so for a retailer !

Haven't had a good look round this new version yet though so will reserve judgement for a few days....

Cheers, Paul

Damion":fulw6arp said:
Hello all,

I’m really keen to hear your feedback good or bad on the new site, please let me know!

Damion Norcombe
Technology Manager

Damion - was this produced internally or outsourced?

1) In IE9 and FF 25.0 the blog include is cut off from the viewport. Example:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/new-axminster-website/

Same for the cms-content-right for Drills, Drivers and Screwdrivers.

I didn't check IE10 / Chrome / Safari etc or much else because:

2) The W3C validator reports 747 errors:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0

3) A user should not have to reset their password because of a site upgrade. Think Amazon.

4) Any new site produced after early 2013 should really be responsive. You'll just be doing this again within 18 months - to meet tablet/phone/desktop world.

If this upgrade was outsourced, I would be throwing at least the 747 reasons at them to fix it free of charge.

If it was done internally, then you have other issues as the Technology Manager.

Browser compatibilty comes first, but meeting the W3C standards is part of the package. 747 errors is huge !

Where do I send the consultancy fee for my feedback?

:roll:

As a result:
1. You forced me to choose a new password (Nanny knows best - as if I didn't have enough to remember already!).
2. You've lost my previous wishlist/watchlist - things I was considering buying from you.
3. You've lost the record of my previous orders.

No, I'm not bl**dy well impressed!

hi
just spotted this post - shortly after i posted about it in the general chat board.

here is what i posted

hi everyone
has anybody seen the new style of axminsters website.
i personally prefer the old style.
not that it makes any real difference - i will remain a customer because their customer service is second to none in my opinion. =D>
what do you think of it ?

cheers
paul-c

The store locator doesn't return any results for me using either 'Bracknell' or 'RG12 9YP' ... I'm not very far from both Basingstoke and High Wycombe !

I've always found Axminster's search too particular - it needs a "fuzzy" search. For example "router lift" find nothing relevant, whilst "router elevator" finds a router lift. There have been many times when I've searched for something but not known Axmister's terminology (which doesn't always agree with other peoples) and it won't find things I know is stocked.

The search needs to be fuzzy not fussy. (see Amazon's)

Wasting my time resetting a password...I still used the same one as before so wasn't that a pointless exercise?...is bad enough.

But losing the record of my old orders that I used a lot is unforgivable. And my saved list.....thanks a bunch. I seem to remember you doing this the last time you relaunched your website. I was pretty p issed then. To repeat the error is crass stupidity.

Axminster....you were always my Go To First website. Guess what? You just lost a loyal customer who is now going to have a look elsewhere to see what other people have to offer.

Null pointes.

I havent spent a long time looking over it, but unfamiliarity aside, it looks quite neat and a little less cluttered. However, I do miss the easy-to-navigate-through menu on the left. Havent reset password yet, but losing past orders and wishlists is, as mentioned above, unforgivable for a company that has gained an enviable reputation for customer service.
Perhaps some feedback regarding our feedback is now due, Damion?

Cheers,
Adam

Damion":1jydct6w said:
Hello all,

Damion Norcombe
Technology Manager

Sorry to be negative Damion but I'm not impressed.

I'm looking to buy a Makita RTO700CX* router so searched for it and came up with 245 items - everything except the router! I know you sell the CX2 so found it by trawling through the product group and then eventually found it again on a different search - but on page 5 !!!

If you can't get the search facility right you're going to lose sales. I for one move very quickly to the next dealer if I don't find the item I'm looking for listed.

Bob

Myfordman":3i2bijeh said:

Couldn't agree more. For a website in this day and age I'm sorry but that's a pretty poor effort, it's clumsy, poor search capability and has too much going on. Forget the fancy widgets and ensure the basic content and features work flawlessly. If I've lost my order history I shall be thoroughly unimpressed.

Pleased to announce?

Clearly this wasn't put to a group for comment before going live, what with the lack of search also experienced, illogical grouping of items, no history and even lost the reviews I posted for three items this week. If they knew this was an effect of a poor transition to a new site their members should have had the courtesy of an email, they are quick enough to send out the adverts a couple of times a week.

1/10. Must try harder, or don't actually try, just leave things alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it instead of fixing it till it is broke!!

Phil

Latest posts

Back