New Axminster Sharpening system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
This new product seems to tick all my boxes: 2 bases included like Wolverine but no need to purchase second fingernail jig for gouges over 5/8, and no need to buy extra skew holder. Also like Trugrind but includes 2 bases. Cheaper than Sorby 447 when you add in their fingernail jig.

Very comprehensive spec and very competitive price. Anybody tried it out?

I've not tried this item but it does look the business - mainly I think because whoever makes it have let others do the R&D and then they have picked the best bits and are now knocking them out without any of the overhead the other have to re-coup!

Link here for those wondering what this is all about!

Who are Storme anyway? :?

Either way, good news in the short term for the consumer - not sure about the longer term though. Cue Quashang vs LN planes debate again!

As an aside, Chas (CHJ) has posted a number of posts a while back on homemade jigs that I think will do everything this does at a fraction of the cost.

BRgds
S

It looks good, but the one problem I would have is the long shaft (on the right in the first photo). My grinder is up against a wall as that's the only place I have for it in my small shed. I wouldn't be able to push it in to use the fingernail jig as it would hit the back wall.
I overcame this on my homemade version that I use for roughing gouges by putting it on a hinge. When it's time to use it I lift it up and support it with a length of wood. It works pretty well and takes up virtually no space when stored.

duncanh":2dnf6p5k said:
one problem I would have is the long shaft ...... My grinder is up against a wall ........ my small shed.

Perhaps drill a hole and turn a wooden plug (with your freshly sharpened tool) to stop the draught the rest of the time!!

S :wink:

ordered it, sent it back, stuck with my sorby 447 deluxe!

not that there was anything wrong with it, it seems very heavy and well made.
HOWEVER, i sharpen on a wet/dry grinder for one, so one of the brackets was redundant anyway, and I use a 6 inch grinding wheel as they're significantly cheaper than 8 inch, even when their shorter life is taken into account.

So I stuck with what works, which weights about a pound, takes up no room at all, and can still do all my grinds!

In short, if you have space and an 8 inch grinder, such as the double record power 8 inch jobby, then this is a good system. if not, maybe it's a bit too much, unless you like raising your grinder off the bench but 2 1/2 inches just to get it to fit!

Note: Axminster have been very good re: returns (unused obviously) and will be my shop of choice when I upgrade my lathe!

Fenris - just puzzled why you say an 8inch wheel is needed. Is that stated in the instructions.
My Record Grinder is a 6 in with the wide white wheel one side so I am wondering if it would work with this jig?

My Record Grinder is a 6 in with the wide white wheel one side so I am wondering if it would work with this jig?

My Record 6in grinder works fine with the Wolverine jig, which looks very similar to the Axminster one. I had to raise the grinder up on a few layers of mdf, so that the tools contact the centre of the wheel, rather than the top, where they would also foul the griner casing.

Ian

Back