"New" Axminster P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosepig

Established Member
Reaction score
Axminster have just added to their range of planer/thicknessers the AT107PT, which appears to be the replacement for the AW106PT2.

Anyone know if this is a genuine new product, or is it just another 10x7 clone (Record Power PT107, Charnwood W583, etc)?

Is is substantially different from the AW106PT2? Not sure what this offers that the old machine didn't, and the price hike is quite substantial on the face of it (£1k as opposed to £750).

From talking to the bods in my local axminster. It's the replacement for the 106. I don't know what warrants the price increase but the big selling point is the new helical tct cutter assembly.
I'm still looking at the jet one myself.

Apparently the £750 price tag is discounted from £1k to sell off the old ones.

The new one has quite a bit more power (needs a 16A supply which the old one didn't) and weighs considerably more (an extra 32kg despite having an alloy fence!), plus a much slower thicknesser feed rate and 10mm more thicknessing capacity. It also has a smaller cutter block (70mm against 80mm), not sure whether that is an advantage or not.

Typical, I don't have space for one of these (yet) or I'd have snapped up one of the last 106's. £750 is a very good price for what appears by all accounts to be a good machine.

Sporky McGuffin":1416x0vg said:
Yowzers. The helical cutter block is an extra almost-£500!

if it is as good as the hammer one that I have seen reviewed it is a bargain.

It still has gull wing tables though and requires the fence removed when switching modes. The jet one does not.

The plot thickens! Axminster have just added the AH106PT to their range on the website - hobby rated, cast iron tables, looks pretty attractive to a hobbyist with very limited space such as myself... not a "260" clone like their other hobby machine. I will be interested to see how it reviews.

Thickens.... I see what you did there 8), Looks like the 106 got a red paint job and classed as a hobby machine. Dear Axminster I'd be happy to review an example. :lol:

Sorry to open up a fairly old discussion but I am just about to upgrade my old Kity 635 and am thinking about this AH106PT as my usage is very light and intermittent. I would however need to prepare the odd 8 foot length of 10" wide 2" thick Oak board, any idea if this machine will cope? This is very much a hobby for me so many light cuts are fine. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Check out what the fence if made of on the AT107 - alloy I believe. The AW106 trade machines had a cast iron fence. I bought one in 2013 costing £665.

John

John15":2hhitc5g said:
Check out what the fence if made of on the AT107 - alloy I believe. The AW106 trade machines had a cast iron fence. I bought one in 2013 costing £665.

John

The Hammer P/T's (at least the older ones) had alloy fences and they work a treat. I'd rather they were cast iron but this is more a comfort thing more than anything.

Thanks for your comments guys, yes it is an alloy fence although with my little Kity I have been using a substantial hardwood board to help with the small original fence. Works well but of course reduces capacity a bit.

Having a better look I see that it is very similar to the original AW106PT and that seemed to be fairly well regarded before the PT2 version came out. The price seems to put it midway between the AWEPT106 and the AT107PT so perhaps more to do with marketing. At the moment I am doing an about turn and thinking more about the Record Power PT260 with it's 5 year guarantee. Any thoughts on the relative benefits or otherwise of these three machine steps?

Keith

Latest posts

Back