Axminster price increasing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've heard the container problem has nothing to do with customs, it's down to Covid. This has disrupted the normal flow of things and meant that containers are not being processed as quickly at their destinations. Result is a massive shortage in the far east. This has been going on for months. As to the cost rise, simple supply and demand. Regarding UK companies competing, I'm afraid we are reaping what we have sown. So many good businesses have gone to the wall because we all bought Chinese stuff, primarily because of price. Now it looks like the supply from China is going to dry up, at least temporarily, we are all in the brown stuff. Served us right really,

A recent post elsewhere, a guy ordered from Amazon Germany for delivery to EU address but Amazon dispatched from UK warehouse so he paid UK VAT and then EU VAT on import, not a happy bunny!
When looking at Amazon, regardless which . Web , always look at at despatched from , if its EU Serl or Gmbh etc, you could be liable pay Import duty, handling charge and Vat. It must say despatched from Amazon UK. Take a snapshop of it and keep it just in case Amazon try and ship it from somewhere else. If they do, claim the money plus your time from Amazon.

So many good businesses have gone to the wall because we all bought Chinese stuff, primarily because of price. Now it looks like the supply from China is going to dry up, at least temporarily, we are all in the brown stuff. Served us right really,

It's going to continue though. for DIY, when I can buy a Chinese router bit for <£5 delivered, why would I pay £26 for a Trend one, which was quite likely produced in the same factory then marked up by Trend, the wholesaler and the retailer? If I were still in business with heavier use, could claim the VAT back and offset against tax, I may think differently.

Shipping costs from China to west coast of Canada are going up 145% or 2,000 to 4,900.

so won’t be ordering a full container of bubble wrap any time soon.

But I read China to Europe up 269% which is less than half the distance to Canada. 2,000 to 7;380. Doesn’t make sense to me.

If all the prices get hiked up then a point will be reached where the markets just stagnate, no one buys the product so that OEM then does not buy the products needed to manufacture and so on down the chain.

well maybe europe still has a higher demand or a massive backlog of containers just sitting off it's coast perhaps

A recent post elsewhere, a guy ordered from Amazon Germany for delivery to EU address but Amazon dispatched from UK warehouse so he paid UK VAT and then EU VAT on import, not a happy bunny!
I regularly buy from Amazon.jp, if there is duty to pay you see it upfront, maybe with marketplace? If you skip through checkout I guess you might not spot it.

Back