New a chuck and don't know the thread size on my Ferm FHB940

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegw

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I am looking to buy a new chuck (probably a super nova 2) and I don't know the headstock thread pitch of the lathe and can't find it anywhere in the paper work that came with the lathe (at least the stuff I can still find :( )

Does any one have any idea or a simple, fool proof, way I can find out?

Thanks and Merry Xmas to everyone!

Dave

I started turning with the Machine Mart version of that lathe, and it had a 3/4" by 16 tpi thread.

A quick check is to hold a ruler along the thread, and count the number of threads in one inch - I doubt whether you will have enough thread to measure a full inch, but you should be able to count 8 threads in 1/2".

The nominal diameter should be somewhere near 3/4".

As these lathes are all made in teh same fatory and just badged up for different suppliers, I would be amazed if it wa anything other than 3/4" by 16 tpi.

Regards

Gary

I know it's been a while but I thought I'd say thank you for your help - I am now the very happy owner of a SupaNova 2 chuck and am relishing evey new bowl that hasn't sped by my ear!

Dave,

Glad that got it sorted mate.

Ah - the old "catch and duck" routine so popular with novice bowl turners! We have all been there!!!! :roll: :roll:

Regards

Gary

Back