"Nemo", a wiggling pull-along fish toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of ours has a young son just coming up to his 1st birthday and a short article in a recent edition of the US "Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts" mag seemed worth a try - and a lot less complicated than some of the small lettering I've been trying recently.

The cutting out was fine on the Excali (1 inch plus old pine shelves) and the tilting head on the Excali was especially useful for cutting the bevels on the wheels.

My wife decided to use the colour scheme from the recent Disney film about a parrot fish called "Nemo", and here's the result:

Nemo wiggle fish-C.jpg

The colours and varnish top coats are all child-safe (he's teething right now), and as we were trying to more or less get the idea of a natural living creature, my wife used mixed artists acrylic colours without rubbing down between each of the 3 coats, and with no masking for the straight lines. I'm not sure we've quite achieved the desired irregular scaly effect, but the only real "problem" was in mixing the main orange body colour - my wife used about 1 part of red to 3 parts bright yellow, and it looked fine when it was wet. But as you can see, as the colour dried it got darker and darker and now looks pretty much back at the red it started off with.

Never mind, I don't think it will affect the little boy's pleasure in playing with it.

The wheels are deliberately set off-centre on the axles. That creates the swimming/wobbling motion between the 2 body parts and the tail as it's pulled along.

If I made this again I'd probably use something like model aircraft control surface hinges to join the 3 separate body parts closer together (rather than the hooks & eyes specified); and maybe I'd slightly reduce the off-centre dimension of the wheels on the axles (to smooth out the wiggling action a bit).

This is clearly NOT the sort of high class work than I normally see here, and I certainly don't expect plaudits. But I thought members might be interested to see a really crude and simple child's toy for a change.

AES

Attachments

• Nemo wiggle fish-C.jpg
    Nemo wiggle fish-C.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,135
Well I for one love it, I'm sure the little lad will have fun with it =D>

It's all good fun though Andy. Its a good looking project that was fun to make and will bring hours of joy to the birthday boy. It made a change from more challenging work AND you got someone else to do the painting . . . ticks right across the board from me :)

Yup, you're right Barry, it was good fun to make. The wood was real tough old scrap shelving but the Pegas No. 8 blade (RT) had no problem. Rather different to what would have happened with my old Einhell or Dremel saws I guess.

And getting SWMBO to do the painting WAS a definite bonus. :D

AES

(Now off to N Germany - Geilenkirchen - to deliver Nemo - and to look at an AWACS).

AES":aadgzzmn said:
. . . And getting SWMBO to do the painting WAS a definite bonus. :D
Too right, you lucky blighter. I hate painting but sometimes it has to be done :-(

AES":aadgzzmn said:
(Now off to N Germany - Geilenkirchen - to deliver Nemo - and to look at an AWACS).
You certainly know how to tease a guy :shock:

A few weeks ago we took our motorhome and spent a fabulous couple of days at the museums at Speyer and Sinsheim http://www.technik-museum.de/en/splashpage.html - absolutely brilliant. Many thanks for the head's-up :D

Barry

Sporky McGuffin":24z9a0ih said:
I really like that - it looks like something I might be able to make myself! Must make some more use of my scrollsaw...

You could make them out of some 3/4" pine from the likes of B&Q. There must be several pull-a-long toy plans kicking around on the internet and if you decide to make more than one it might pay to make a cardboard/thin-ply template out of the various pieces so for future repeat jobs you just need to draw around the various shapes once they've been put on top of the pine.

Barry

@Sporky:
If you can wait for a week or so until I get home again I'll happily scan the plans & article and send to you as a .pdf or something. Otherwise, as bodgerbaz says, there are plenty on the Internet. Try this one for a start (but you have to buy their plans):

http://www.toymakingplans.com/index.php
Glad you enjoyed Speyer & Sinsheim Barry. You probably heard about the fatality at the Dittigen Airshow here that I mentioned previously. The show was this past weekend, but we didn't go this time. Not as dramatic as that Hunter T7 crash at Shoreham, "only" the 1 pilot killed, but the aeroplane landed right in the village, on top of a large wooden outbuilding which was almost totally destroyed, and literally only feet away from an occupied house, so as you can imagine there's quite a hue & cry about the show here right now.

Anyway, off topic, sorry.

AES

That's great, and it looks exactly like what it is intended to be, instead of something that came out of a mould, and no doubt will be special to the child. I made some very basic animals for someone's daughter a couple of years ago, and a year later the mother told me they were still the youngster's favourite toy.
Animals.jpg

Attachments

• Animals.jpg
    Animals.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 909
Just to finish off my original post, I'm now back home and young Peter does really seem to like his waggle fish.

While I was away your comment came in Martinka. Thanks for that - as you say, it's what the children concerned think of our efforts, not what we ourselves think.

Peter's not quite 1 year old yet but is just about to start walking unaided, so Nemo should be a good incentive.

Meantime he HAS discovered that the pull ball tastes terrific (apparently!!!!), and when holding the string with the ball swinging loose it makes a satisfactorily loud noise on the bars of his play pen (much to the "delight" of his parents)!

See below:

Peter-Nemo 2-C.jpg

Peter-Nemo 1-C.jpg

Back to "serious" work now.

AES

Attachments

• Peter-Nemo 2-C.jpg
    Peter-Nemo 2-C.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 794
  • Peter-Nemo 1-C.jpg
    Peter-Nemo 1-C.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 794
Nice to see that Peter is enjoying his waggle fish. Thanks for that Andy.

Slightly OT (sorry AES) - I don't know about other forum members but when I make something for a specific person I think about them while I'm making it. Things we may have done or things they may have said . . . it creates a sort of connection. Mind you, it could be just me and the men in white coats may be on their way!!

Barry

Thanks for the comment Barry.

IMHO, your comment about having the recipient in mind when making isn't OT - certainly I do it often, regardless of what the article may be.

AES

Back