NEEDED - 220v motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to switch out my motor on my TS { Startrite } now it has a Brook Gryphen motor rated at
tefc 3 ph 220 - 415 v 5a / 3a @ 2875 rpm with a 16mm spindle

I need a single phase 220v witha 16mm spindle or as close as, and a simerler rpm value.

Can anyone point me to a supplier or better yet - have one kicking around ;)

ta much.

Karl

Houtslager (are you Dutch/Afrikaans?)

I'm not sure it's that simple.. you'll need to match the torque too (I think).. & that is down to number of poles.. which I believe goes like; the more poles then the higher the torque...but don't quote me on that.

Togs

What size blade is on the saw? I've fitted a 2hp motor to my 12" wadkin and it seems about right for the saw.

You need a single phase 2 pole motor, like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4151a5814d

I've got 3 of these motors on my machines in the workshop and they all seem like good quality units.
I think you'll find that the motor you will require will have a shaft over 16mm, probably more like 24mm, however don't let this put you off as a taperlock pulley is easily fitted and inexpensive without any need to machine anything.

That motor looks the business. From memory, those Startrites had either a 1 hp 3-phase motor or a 1.5hp single phase. (or it might have been 1.5/2) Don't think the difference in power output is down to number of poles - that mainly changes the motor speed. Presumably, if you think about it, three phase power is a lot "smoother" than single, so is more efficient?

Oh, yes, grannies and eggs - check if your motor is foot or flange mounting; could be embarrassing to get the wrong sort.
(but if your 3p motor is flange mount, I would be interested!)

DSC01105.jpg

and

DSC01114.jpg

can anyone tell me the frame type please.

Karl

That's a foot mounted motor, you'll have to measure the centre distances between the mounting points on the foot then cross reference against an ISO chart to obtain the frame size.

Another option is it fit a digital inverter and use the original motor and pulley. Do you know if the original motor runs? If so it's an ideal candidate to fit a 240V 1PH to 240V 3PH digital inverter, these are easily wired up and give you much more control over the motor. An suitable inverter would cost approx £200.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2HP-3-PHA...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item2325b96877

If the motor is ok I'd go with the inverter route, the cost will work out around the same as fitting a single phase motor.

Inverter £200.

Single phase motor £120, DOL starter £40, taperlock pulley & bush £20? Total £180?
There's not a lot of difference in the price and with a single phase motor you may have to adapt the fixing with plates to allow you to fit the motor, especially with your original motor as it looks to have quite a long shaft on it.

Hello there, Assuming your three phase motor is a runner, it is dead easy to rewire its coils to 220v delta and the either run it off a static converter or better still a VFD (variable frequency driver)John Cox's book Electric Motors in the home workshop ISBN 1-85486-133-6. gives easy to follow instructions a to how to do this and the component list and circuit diagram to build a basic static converter. I have done this several time to get 440v old three phase motors to run off 240v single phase and you save all the trouble of matching motor mounts, spindle length and diameter. As an added bonus you can stick new bearings in and clear our the crud of years, as you have to split the motor to make the star to delta change. Depending on the control gear you have it may be necessary to change the contactor coil to 240v or arrange a 415v supply to the existing coil, this too is covered in the book.

I hope this helps, but pm me if you want any further info

best regards

Paul Barter

For inverters, it's well worth looking on the homeworkshop site and searching for Gavin Oseman. He buys up inverters from factory clearances and the like, to sell on very reasonably. He's also extremely helpful. Based in Malvern, so a nice little run over from Chipping Norton.

Back