Startrite 18-V-10 Restoration - VFD?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James McConville

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum and this is my first post, so apologies if this is listed in the wrong location.

I've just picked up a cracking 'new to me' bandsaw, its a Startrite 18-V-10. Although, I believe its the same as a 18-T-10 model just with a blade welder.

It's in pretty good condition as is, but I'm going to do a quick tear down to clean it up and a lick of new paint. It's 3 phase and I'd need to run it off single phase 240v as I don't have access to 3 phase in my workshop.

My question is, I'm looking for a VFD to run it, I just need to know what type and size VFD I need to get to run this puppy.

The motor specs are as below:

Brook Motors Ltd
A.C. Motor
Volts: 220-250 (triangle), 380-440 Y
PH: 3
F.L. Amps: 5.4, 3.1
F.L. Speed: 940
Cycles: 50
Rating: Cont
HP: 1.5

I'll upload some pictures shortly.

Thanks for any help and advise in advance.

No idea on your experience in these things but you have a dual voltage motor (good) the bits you are interested in are:
220-250v (triangle means delta)
380-440v (Y means star)
5.4 F.L. Amps (Full load)
@ 50Hz (cycles means cycles per second)

So you want a single phase to 3 phase vfd and you may need (probably not) to swap over the links inside the wiring box to delta. Google 'drives direct how to choose' for more info. Note: not a good idea to have a switch between the vfd and the motor and depending on the mountings etc it may be an option just buy a single phase motor for it.

I bought a VFD from Powtran through Alibaba for my 5 hp dust collector. If you contact them with the motor information and what it is for they can recommend the VFD that would best serve you. If your bandsaw doesn't have a mechanical brake and you want it to stop faster then tell them you want braking ability. If you don't want to turn the saw on and off with the VFD ask them for the information on what switches to get to hook up to it. They are helpful and knowledgeable about their products.
http://powtran.com/en-us/index.aspx

Pete

I’ve just completed the same conversion for a Startrite 352 and bought this VFD

VFD on Amazon

Instruction manual is not the best, and the fan a little noisy but works well.

I mounted mine in a dust proof enclosure (read snap top Tupperware box) on the saw and rewired the original switch to act as the control circuit to run the VFD.

32DE87D7-9763-436C-88D5-350D84BAFB80.jpeg

61B117BC-EA00-4B7C-B818-E2FE66702804.jpeg

Regards

Fitz.

Attachments

• 61B117BC-EA00-4B7C-B818-E2FE66702804.jpeg
    61B117BC-EA00-4B7C-B818-E2FE66702804.jpeg
    962.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 32DE87D7-9763-436C-88D5-350D84BAFB80.jpeg
    32DE87D7-9763-436C-88D5-350D84BAFB80.jpeg
    962.7 KB · Views: 226
Thank you all for your help, greatly appreciate you taking the time out to reply.

Titan_uk":2b4kdo88 said:
220-250v (triangle means delta)
380-440v (Y means star)
5.4 F.L. Amps (Full load)
@ 50Hz (cycles means cycles per second)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this with me Titan_uk - Greatly appreciate you interpreting the motor specs for me, I was wondering why there was two sets of voltages and had no idea about delta and star connections.

Inspector":2b4kdo88 said:
I bought a VFD from Powtran through Alibaba

Thanks Pete, I'll get in contact with Powtran and see what they recommend. I've never bought anything from Alibaba before, usually get all my stuff from ebay/amazon when shopping online. Is there anything I need to know before buying from Alibaba at all? I always thought it was a wholesale website that required purchases of large quantities.

deema":2b4kdo88 said:
Have a look at this VFD which should be what you need.

Thanks Deema, seems pretty good and for a reasonable price too. I thought I'd have to settle with a cheapo VFD and order from China but this looks like a great UK based retailer and they offer next day delivery as well which would be perfect for me as I'm eager to try out the saw.

Just had a read over the quick start guide and I'm very impressed with the wealth of information there is on there and all put together in an easy to understand guide too, much more helpful that a translated Chinlish instruction sheet.

I like that it also has the option to install a potentiometer and switches that are separate from the box. I'd like to have the VFD mounted inside the saw housing somewhere out of the way and install switches and speed control onto the saw body itself.

Fitzroy":2b4kdo88 said:
I’ve just completed the same conversion for a Startrite 352 and bought this VFD

Wow Fitz, that looks great! I was worried about mounting the VFD to the side of the saw where it could gather dust. I was thinking about either making a enclosure or finding somewhere inside the saw housing to fit the VFD. Your tupperware box idea is excellent. I might have to borrow that idea from you for my unit.

The Isacon/askpower units have the parts fitted for that noisy fan to not be on all the time.
but beware there is mini VFD's being passed off as the regular sized ones in the 3hp range, so I assume it would be the same deal for a 1.5 hp inverter.
Have a look at the size of a regular 1.5 hp unit, and ask for dimentions from eBay seller to clarify.
I would have my doubts about these tiny mini versions, as I have read folks discuss the components on the PCB circuit board being too close together on the much larger regular sized ones.

Depending on how big your table is and how much momentum the wheels have might be something to consider, but find the Isacon has enough built in capacity to stop my 24" bandsaw good enough for me.
No need for an external braking resistor.
The table is huge though, so I am away from the blade compared to a smaller machine.
I dont see a need to have a bandsaw stop quickly,
and think it might damage a blade if was stopped suddenly...maybe in time if not the first few times.

Another thing to factor in is the switches
I don't think there is need for a seperate stop button and start button, and would be perfectly happy with a toggle for a latching push button, I'd probably choose the latter.
i.e... push to turn on and push again to shut off would be grand for a bandsaw.
This involves the simplest wiring configuration and is easy to do on all VFD's.

If you wanted a separate momentary stop button and off button for a paddle switch on a tablesaw
then you might have to study this to get an inverter which you can do this with.
So in my opinion you can get any of them for your bandsaw.
I would like to see at least a picture of someone running one before buying one though.
If it has an annoying fan running constantly then you can do this...
Suppose it depends on how cheap you can get one for.
[youtube]x882vvX_L7Y[/youtube]

Tom

"Thanks Pete, I'll get in contact with Powtran and see what they recommend. I've never bought anything from Alibaba before, usually get all my stuff from ebay/amazon when shopping online. Is there anything I need to know before buying from Alibaba at all? I always thought it was a wholesale website that required purchases of large quantities."

Alibaba is much the same as buying from eBay etc. They have a buyer protection program and the quantities are dependant on the sellers. Just let your credit card company know you are buying from China so they don't refuse the transaction. Powtran is fine with selling one or hundreds. I'll buy direct from Powtran when I need another for a lathe I want to make variable. The manual that came with mine was almost 200 pages long. They have them somewhere on their website if you want to look at one.

Pete

Latest posts

Back