Need help to get started......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been quietly reading all the great advice , tips , surveys , workshops etc for some time and thought it was time i said hi and introduced myself. So Hi from sunny Norfolk !

You know that saying "measure twice cut once" well i guess i am one of those people who cant never make up my mind if i got the measurement right and just sit looking at that nice square line and wonder should i cut it with the chop saw ...maybe the pull saw..but then the table saw might do a nice job...then its a shout from the wife that the tea is ready...... ???? GRRR

Well I built a small workshop almost 2 years ago 17 feet long and 10 ft wide with double doors in the middle of the 17ft foot front. And thats it...For the last 2 years i have just been saving my cash thinking where should i start. What if I put a nice saw station here where will i put the lathe and what about the table saw will there be room for one ...where should i put the bandsaw and workbench ???

So .... I got the workshop.....had the electricity , fuse box and a single socket installed (Unable to decide where i wanted the rest of the power point located)

Whats next ?

Does anyone have a similar sized workshop and can help me understand what I could fit in ? some pics / links of similar sized workshops would be really helpful by way of inspiration. Seen lots here but never sure of the sizes..most look massive

Is there a good sensible order to follow with fitting out the interior ...

Is there some super software i can use to draw up a nice workshop floor plan ?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

btw my wife has told me 100 times i am just lazy and should just get on with it.... so different suggestions would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Phil

Hey Phil, Welcome to the forum.

I have a similar sized workshop and have manged to fit a workbench, jointer, tablesaw, lathe, bandsaw and drill press. It has to be kept very organised though as there is absolutely no space for any mess.

I am going to post a tour of my workshop soon, so look out for it.

Delta and Grizzly both have workshop design software on there websites.

Thanks Simon Dom and Philly....

Had a look at the book looks like its worth checking out..... look forward to your pics and I will post some of my dull empty shed soon :)

Phil

hi phil

looks like this place should be renamed

EastAngliaWorkshop.co.uk has a ring to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Mambo

Sadly in my case ....

NorfolkEmptyShed.co.uk would be more appropriate .........

but i know what u mean :)

Phil

Hello!

I know how you feel. I'm always nervous about getting down to the nitty gritty and can always find something to sharpen or de-rust instead. Pick an easy project and start. I think it's important to allow your first draft at anything to be rubbish; you can always improve on subsequent attempts. If it's any help, I made butchers blocks for xmas presents this year; mixed grain direction in a bad way, finished them in too much of a hurry and it all went terribly pear shaped (all of which became apparent after I'd given them out of course) - I need to make some replacement chopping boards. Butchers blocks version 2 on the other hand will rock, but perhaps not as much as version 3.

How about woodworkersanonymous.co.uk?

Hi Phil,

I have half of a double garage, which would be about the same length as your workshop but a little narrower.

I went down the route of planning software to work out how to fit everything in. And sure enough everything fitted in - and half of it was unusable or awkward to use without lots of moving around and re-arranging. The thing was, until I had actually started using the workshop and making things, I couldn't really appreciate how things needed to be arranged to suit the way I work and the type of things I make.

I would suggest keeping things on mobile bases so that they can be easily moved and rearranged. Then get on and start using it - the layout will then evolve over time. And it will be easier to look at the workshop tours and see how some of the ideas might work for you.

Of course some of us never get our workshops sorted out cos we keep on taking on projects (both wood and diy) in the house instead of building the new bench, router table or what have you. :roll:

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? Wymondham here..

Dave

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds to me that you actually have three concerns - what project to build, what tools to buy for the project and whether they will fit.

So...ask the missus....what would she like made. Then go for it.

As others have said...mobile bases are the way to go. And just accept the fact that no matter how large your workshop is, it will never be large enough :D

For planning where things go, well, if you use mobile bases then you don't need to go overboard with planning. But if you want to make your stuff more permanently located then sheet of graph paper and some scale cutouts for the machines works well especially if you add working room around the machines and orientate the cutouts to portray the direction that the stock will move in...if you get my drift. Moving the little biuts of paper around will also help justify procrastinating about what to build/what to buy/will it fit for another few months :wink:

My workshop is almost the same size as yours (18x10) and so far I have got my workbench, an assembly table which I recently made which also doubles as my tablesaw (festool system). I will be building an 8ft wide worktop on cabinets at the back as a sharpening/close work area. Running down my left-hand size will be the mitre-saw bench (similar to Norms) which will also incorporate an embedded router-table, space for a drill press/morticer.

A floor-standing bandsaw will go next to my workbench which lines the right hand side. This still leaves me with a large area in the middle to move about in.

My timber storage is high on the walls down the left and at the back, this comprimses of triangular pieces of 18mm ply screwed directly into the workshop frame - supports a lot of weight, and moves the timber right up into the ceiling creating a lot of wall and floor space.

Hi Everyone ,

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind words....I am coming to the conclusion that you never have enough space but at least i have some ideas now... and Dom i sent away for that book just waiting on amazon :)

I am just looking for somewhere to go to get away from the pc and tv. I think with a small shop like this the "stick it on wheels" approach is the best idea and if i can get the work surfaces at the same height as the saws etc i can use some of the surfaces for many purposes....glueing , outfeed etc etc.

First job right now is to get a couple of outside storage cupboards to get the the small amount of gardening chairs and tools out of the shop. Fit a good alarm...lost all my hand and small power tools to thiefs.

I want to find the most productive way to use the height of the shop as i have an apex roof...lots of space above head height...maybe first project should be a step up !

I really want a good table - saw but am i being to optimistic thinking i could fit a 10"" cast table saw in this space ??

BTW...just sent away for a small set of makita power -tools...the lxt600 set. This might give me the boost i need to get going :)

Anyway ...keep the suggestions coming and I will post some plans / pics here to show you how i am getting along.

Phil

Phil":3269hnmn said:
I really want a good table - saw but am i being to optimistic thinking i could fit a 10"" cast table saw in this space ??

Phil, I have the SIP 10" cast iron table saw, fits in no problem. I think my workshop is 16' x 10'.

Back