Neat idea (wrong price!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of these extensions are not deisgned to be used in harsh enviroments and are aimed at offices and IT. In this enviroment you will often find they prohibit the use of any personal charger unless it has been checked for safety by their inspector to keep the dodgy asian imports out. If you want a line of sockets on your bench then just use metal clad sockets and conduit, also this allows you to have an isolator for them all if required.

I do use extension sockets where I can be sure the cable does not represent a trip/safety hazard - eg: behind furniture for TV and table light.

Encouraging the fitment to worktops and desks puts them in an entirely different league - connect your PC, printer and phone charger and later wonder why they come crashing to the floor.

Whilst browsing for a particular style of extension lead i came across this.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...=0CEEQMyiDAWoXChMI8Ifags_cgwMVAAAAAB0AAAAAEAI
i like the idea and i am sure the collective heads on here could make similiar for less. could be handy if you need sockets on your .bench
What? At that price! There are plenty around that aren't sealed & can be screwed down, I've a Schuko one surface mounted to my work desk.
Anyhow, looking at the one referred to, it would be an easy mod for anyone on here, plenty of off-cuts & the odd clamp lying around, no doubt?

Only 3 ports? I have 12 on my desk - but Swiss ones are very economic in terms of space requirements. And each of my 6 ports was less than the price of those 3 ports.

We have some extensions similar to these at work. They cost about £50 a pop and they regularly get left around and/or thrown out if they’re deemed unusable i.e someone missed them while PAT testing or the fuse has gone. I have a few I rescued from the bin and was planning on routing a slot in the back of my bench and drilling a hole through so I can mount one nicely.

Latest posts

Back