natural edge .. now what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay! I know I'm a bit thick at picking up green wood turning, but, i am trying to do a natural edge bowl and could do with some advice please.

Having reached this stage

natrualedge002.jpg

In very green wood what is my best move next? should I turn it thinner now (it's about 1/2 inch thick all over) or should I leave it to dry out a bit? :-k

If it is distinctly green,then the thinner the better.Don't be surprised if it moves and distorts a little (which is often a nice thing :D ) or develops a big split or two (which is not a nice thing :( )
Alternatively,you could coat it with something like dilute pva glue,and leave it to dry for a few months,then finish turn it.

Andrew

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I'd wrap it in loads of old newspaper and put it somwhere cool and dry for a couple of weeks checking and if necessary chamging the paper. I have had a couple of pieces like that that I was chuffed to pieces with only get up in the morning and find that Mother nature and other designs on it....splits all over. Heartbreaking.

Looks like it could be a sweet piece when finished.

Andrew snuck in fast there. Told you there would be alternative ideas.
Pete

It's green, it'll move (guaranteed!), especially with those little knots and things...........so make the most of it while you can.

Go for thin - a) it's fascinating, b) it's a perfect piece to practice fine control on/with.......and I have to say that going by the existing shape you're doing that very well already......and c) you will be so pleased once you've got it pared down!

Thin? It's thin enough if you can see light through it!

Sharp edges required!

Thank you for the advice, I shall try turn it a bit thinner than wrap and store. And I do have the book and it is VERY good! which is what got me to take the plunge buy a chain saw and mount chunks of tree on the lathe. unfortunately, there are big gaps in my experience and equipment :oops: and some things are easier on paper!!
I am particually lousy at sharpening! Plus i need to invest in some decent tools .. er .. maybe I should have bought them before the chainsaw? .. yeah I know!!

Latest posts

Back