Natural Edge Bowlthingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
HI,

Not sure what wood.

Not sure if it can be classed as a bowl.

S7003183.jpg

S7003182.jpg

S7003181.jpg

S7003184.jpg

Well done on the wall thickness Loz, if you managed that over the major part of the piece you did well.

Looks like it was green or part dried? if not you did well to keep the bark on.

I think a Pot would be more of an apt description.

Thanks Guys,

My natural edged pot !

I'd be lying if i claimed even wall thickness throughout. Its ok till the max diameter of the form, where i just couldn't get in there.

The stock was fairly dry till almost the very centre. Not sure of the wood, but the bark stayed on without having to assist with CA.

Regs

Loz

I like the name 'bowl thingy' Loz. :lol

I think its really cool 8) , different in a pleasing way.

Must have been fun with your hands near that spinning natural edge :shock: have you counted your fingers since turning it :wink:

It looks a bit like cherry doesnt it? If it was you would have noticed the nice smell.

JT

beautiful I really like it I suppose you could call it a bowl or a pot whatever you call it it will still look great

not sure if I like it or not - I love the shape of the pot bit and I love the effect of the natural edge (very impressive that the bark stayed on and the shape is nice) but I'm not sure I like them together - almost as if a lovely pot has merged with an equally lovely classical natural edge bowl....

Wish I was good enough to do it though :)

Miles

I didn't like this first off, but it's really grown on me!

My reservation i think was the sharp transition from the top of the pot to the natural edge. Maybe a smoother curve next time?

Very original though, i like this a lot!

Oakbear":3devboxz said:
My reservation i think was the sharp transition from the top of the pot to the natural edge. Maybe a smoother curve next time?

I don't like that too much myself, but didn't really notice till i had it off the lathe.

Thanks all -

Isn't it strange how things can look really good horizontal but when you take them of the lathe and put the the right way up you see all sorts of problems. Still this piece is well done, well finished etc so it's only design that you can criticize and that is a matter of personal taste. I've seen similar vessels in books by professionals so I wouldn't be too critical.

pete

Back