Natural edge Boat bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graigmerched

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my latest green turning which I would like to share. I call them boat bowls because I can't really think of another name for them. The two are made from oak. Three views: From the top showing the inside. The bottom showing the outside and from the side showing the curvature. They were turned about 9 months ago and left to see if they would crack. They didn't and I finished them off yesterday. Two coats of lemon oil. I say coats but it was more of a soak.

They were turned from a wet oak log. I have made quite a few of these from various woods and I'm amazed that they don't crack as often as I would have thought.

Attachments

• Boat bowls profile.JPG
    Boat bowls profile.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Boat bowls from bottom.JPG
    Boat bowls from bottom.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Boat bowls from top.JPG
    Boat bowls from top.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,296
cambournepete":1n4ycvbx said:
I love the simplicity of the design. :)

Are they turned from the same piece?

Thanks. They are turned from the same log, but not the same section of the log. If that makes sense.

They are very tactile.

Best Regards

Steve

Really nice =D>

May I ask, how you hold the piece when you turn the reverse side? I've used button jaws or circular pieces, do you use the same and just try and get it balanced???

Cheers David

Alli":28o1e6pq said:
Really nice =D>

May I ask, how you hold the piece when you turn the reverse side? I've used button jaws or circular pieces, do you use the same and just try and get it balanced???

Cheers David

I start off between centres located in what I assume to be the centre of the log on both sides (Pure guesswork really, but I do measure the center lengthways). I first turn the bottom leaving a spigot which I then hold in some gripper jaws on my axminster chuck when I reverse it. It's more important to get the centres correct lengthwise and widthwise than to have it balanced round the centre of gravity, otherwise you might not get the boat shape.

Next time I do one I'll take some pics as it progresses if that will help. It may be a few weeks though till I get round to it, busy preparing for some big shows at the moment.

Best Regards

Steve

Graigmerched":uhxzuayr said:
Alli":uhxzuayr said:
Really nice =D>

Cheers David

I start off between centres located in what I assume to be the centre of the log on both sides (Pure guesswork really, but I do measure the center lengthways). I first turn the bottom leaving a spigot which I then hold in some gripper jaws on my axminster chuck when I reverse it. It's more important to get the centres correct lengthwise and widthwise than to have it balanced round the centre of gravity, otherwise you might not get the boat shape.

Next time I do one I'll take some pics as it progresses if that will help. It may be a few weeks though till I get round to it, busy preparing for some big shows at the moment.

Best Regards

Steve

Steve,

I might be wrong, but I think David means - 'how do you turn off the chucking point afterwards?' - and if that is what he means, can you let us know, as I would love to know, too?

Greg

This is my method of cleaning up the major proportion of the chucking recess or spigot.

I finish off the very centre of the recess or spigot if it is to remain prior to remounting to turn, then when reversed as shown I only have to blend out the outer portions.

Only got this little bowl to hand but the same setup is used for pieces 230mm+ dia.
DSCN3202 (Large).JPG
DSCN3203 (Large).JPG
DSCN3205 (Large).JPG
DSCN3206 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3202 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3202 (Large).JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN3203 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3203 (Large).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN3205 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3205 (Large).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN3206 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3206 (Large).JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,047
Hi Greg,

I move the spigot forward in the gripper jaws and saw it off. Then I use an industrial belt sander to sand off the remainder.

Regards

Steve

gregmcateer":1tm5t3pv said:
Graigmerched":1tm5t3pv said:
Alli":1tm5t3pv said:
Really nice =D>

Cheers David

Best Regards

Steve

Steve,

I might be wrong, but I think David means - 'how do you turn off the chucking point afterwards?' - and if that is what he means, can you let us know, as I would love to know, too?

Greg

Latest posts

Back