Nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davejenkins

Reaction score
Morning

I have been looking at some nail guns as I want to build a fence for the back garden and refuse to pay good money for flimsy fences. But I want to be able to use it in the workshop afterwards (promise I won't turn into norm!). I don't really know what I am looking for in a nail gun - any advice / recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

I couldn't live without mine.....apart from allowing access to the really inexpensive nailers (as opposed to carrying their own fuel supply types like the paslode) they give you paint spraying, air gun for debris removal in crevices, tyre inflation etc etc all for not much more than a £100.

I've got some Bostitch air nailers which are very good quality but a couple years back started buying the axminster ones and frankly....they're brilliant. Trade rated and very no frills design but they work, they never jam and they've never gone wrong. The small ones for fine nailing are usually less than £50 too. Proper old fashioned good value IMHO.

You would need a framing nailer for fence work so that'll cost a bit more because of the spec but still waaay less than a paslode or equivalent. If your use for it remains mostly tethered ie round the home and garden then I would go air nailer. If it's a site based need then the mobile fuel (battery or gas cell) supply models are more appropriate.

Flynnwood":2qlajxgz said:
Screwfix have two Stanley compressors as their 'deal of the day', today.

http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/landing.jsp?id=DealoftheDay

I have the 24L version of the 50L stanley. Mine is also a stanley, but they are pretty similar from various manufacturers. Be warned, I went to machine mart to get some adapter fittings for "standard" quick release, and a longer hose and was told that they did not keep anything that would go on it. That is not to say that you wont get any anywhere, but it may cause you some head scratching. They did actually say that they were one of a kind fittings, but whether this is correct, i dont know.

I suspect you do not require the nail gun for business or extended use? therefore a framing or roofing nailer would be your best option. Of course dependant on the type of fence you are proposing to build them an air stapler should also be considered. Such guns can be purchased fairly inexpensively and most air guns can be repaired by a competent DIYer with the appropriate repair kits (never worked on gas nailers so cannot comment)

I have two compressors - A 10L Bostich and a 100L Sealey. If you intend to spray or use hungry air power tools you will need at Least a 50L even that may not be enough as my 100L cycles too often for comfort when using die grinders/saws etc.

The 10L will handle the larger nailers OK but for general working in the shop a 25L compressor may be enough for your needs.

Good luck anyway.

David

Hi my compressor is 250 lt min and it keeps up with a spay gun on continuous use, I don't think for painting you want to go a lot smaller.

John

davejenkins":3mevm207 said:
Hey,

Thank you all for your responses. It brought up another question: Oil or Oiless? Apart from the oil is there any advantage/disadvantages to either of them?

I have spotted this and wondered what you think? http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/tr ... prod_05297

Hi Dave - I've looked at a lot of compressors in the past and owned a couple and have a big 3hp 50l now. That one you linked for that price looks good it'll feed an air nailer and spraygun with no problems.

It WILL NOT run a sandblasting system to any real degree though, just in case that figures into your sometime future needs.

For air nailer I bought a Silverline one that takes up to 50mm brads and it works a treat, I've fixed our featherboard fence back down after cupping and separating (coz the guy who put it up used 1 nail top and bottom..) and done 2 featherboard planters with it no problems.

I wouldn't use a nailer for the posts and rails anyway, use 6" passivated screws that self cut. However if you must use nails, use ringshank nails or the ones with a twist built in to reduce pullout as the wood flexes, or you'll end up with a saggy fence like ours was.

for fixing the planks, if you do get a airfed brad nailer put 2 in nails per rail, (in the thick end of featherboards if that's what you use & make sure they overlap by at least an inch, so the next 2 in the thick end catches the previous thin end) and angle them opposingly, offset but preferably facing each other like an X - this will also reduce the chance of them pulling away from the rails, as brad nails have no real pullout resistance when put in straight.

my main advice would be DON'T STINT with the fixings & the treatment or I guarentee you'll be doing it all again in a year or two.

Yeah, oiled one it is then so that I keep the sound.

Thanks for the reply rafezetter! I was looking at one of those silverline nailers last night on eBay and wondered if they would do the job. Some awesome advice above. Will post my results. Off to place some orders :) love buying new tools

If you go for an oil compressor treat it like the engine of your car and change the oil at frequent intervals ( the manual will explain when) Most important, run it for a short time when you buy it then replace with new oil, that will clear all the rubbish from the cylinder it should then do you for some time. I change the oil in mine about once a year which is overkill but I have never had any problems.

Oil less comps are definately louder and tend not to last as long but if you are an occasional user it will still last you years.

Bluekingfisher":38atcfrp said:
If you go for an oil compressor treat it like the engine of your car and change the oil at frequent intervals ( the manual will explain when) Most important, run it for a short time when you buy it then replace with new oil, that will clear all the rubbish from the cylinder it should then do you for some time. I change the oil in mine about once a year which is overkill but I have never had any problems.

Oil less comps are definately louder and tend not to last as long but if you are an occasional user it will still last you years.

definately +1 re the use for short time, say a few full day's worth 20 hours or so then replace the oil - I went to a proper car parts place and got some good advice - I told them it was for a compressor, medium use and he pointed me to ... *goes to shed...* ... 10W40 semi synthetic.

Do the oil change like a car - let it warm up, then drain fully you'll be amazed at the rubbish and colour of it after so short use. Since then my oil has stayed cleaner for much longer. Depending on where the drain valve is you might have to upend the compressor a bit to get it all out (and if you are a bit belt and braces like me you'll run a few spoonfulls of some clean new stuff through too before just as the old stuff is almost done and dripping out...).

I have just done my fence with a Dewalt cordless nailgun equipped with NiMH batteries. It was a doddle, compared to nailing by hand. I already had some other Dewalt cordless kit so it was relatively cheap to buy a bare nailgun. Having done my fence I'm glad I went cordless as I needed to try and position some of the featheredge boards in awkward places with my back up against my neighbour's trellis. The Dewalt gun was certainly more than powerful enough to drive the nails into the boards, I had it on the minimum setting. Unless you really want a compressor I would go for a battery or gas gun because I think that they are easier to sell on if you only need it for one job.

SurreyHills":3pc0nush said:
I have just done my fence with a Dewalt cordless nailgun equipped with NiMH batteries. It was a doddle, compared to nailing by hand. I already had some other Dewalt cordless kit so it was relatively cheap to buy a bare nailgun. Having done my fence I'm glad I went cordless as I needed to try and position some of the featheredge boards in awkward places with my back up against my neighbour's trellis. The Dewalt gun was certainly more than powerful enough to drive the nails into the boards, I had it on the minimum setting. Unless you really want a compressor I would go for a battery or gas gun because I think that they are easier to sell on if you only need it for one job.

Very valid point Andy although I would think buying an expensive cordless nailer for the one job then selling it on once the job is completed would be a little wasteful (in my opinion) Paying £300 - 400 to repair a fence seems expensive, would it not be cheaper to have someone in to do the job in that case ? Of course having the cordless or battery gun is a fair statement if he intends to do more than an average amount of work in awkward places where there is no electrical power source etc.

I guess there are pros and cons to the air/cordless guns and your point is certainly a vaild one.

Latest posts

Back