Nail gun advice for a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George B

Reaction score
Hi, Looks like I’m going to buy a nail gun for a hall/Staircase panelling project and need some advice.

The supplier of the panelling has suggested one compatible with 40/50 nails, I’m going to going into plaster and brick.

I’m confused by the difference between 1st and 2nd fix guns, I already have an assortment of DeWalt cordless tools and was thinking of sticking with them and buying of eBay as I can’t see myself getting much use out of it apart from this project.

Any help and suggestions most welcome

I'm no expert, but I think 1st fix guns are powerful machines that punch in a larger nail and probably used more for structural fixings compared to 2nd fix guns that usually fire a 16 gauge nail that is used for putting finishing trim on, where the holding strength of the nail isn't as important.

If you have an air compressor, have you looked at the air powered nail guns. They seem to be a lot cheaper, though you do have a hose you need to work around.

First fix is meaty timbers roof timbers stud walls etc before the plaster board goes on. Big air or gas nailer.

Second fix is skirting and door hanging etc. Lighter smaller tool.

Totally different jobs.

You won't get nails into brick easily and plaster board they will pull out. Use a decent cartridge glue.

Use a second fix for fixing wood to wood.

Last edited:
Recently I was looking at the same thing and found that among second fix guns in DeWalt, there is a 16 gauge one and 18 gauge one. For general jig building or tacking glued joints together, 18 gauge is more useful. 16 gauge is maybe more apt for flooring /staircase work.

First fix is meaty timbers roof timbers stud walls etc before the plaster board goes on. Big air or gas nailer.

Second fix is skirting and door hanging etc. Lighter smaller tool.

Totally different jobs.

You won't get nails into brick easily and plaster board they will pull out. Use a decent cartridge glue.

Use a second fix for fixing wood to wood.
Thanks, Had a similar thought on getting into brick, no plasterboard in our house some lath and plaster though not where the panelling is going

I'm no expert, but I think 1st fix guns are powerful machines that punch in a larger nail and probably used more for structural fixings compared to 2nd fix guns that usually fire a 16 gauge nail that is used for putting finishing trim on, where the holding strength of the nail isn't as important.

If you have an air compressor, have you looked at the air powered nail guns. They seem to be a lot cheaper, though you do have a hose you need to work around.

No compressor, just lots of deWalt power packs😀

I recently watched the 'making a portable workbench' by Scott Brown Carpentry on YT. One of the comments from a follower was explaining to him how he should've used the gun at a slight angle. Quite detailed of which I didn't pay attention but he was appreciative of the advice...

I was looking at nail guns a little while ago and decided to get a small compressor and air nail gun instead of a cordless one. Glad that I did because I've added a 23g nail gun and tire inflator later for a modest sum.

silverline 18g 50mm nailer costs around £35

The Ryobi is around £165?

Compressors can be 'oil free' and quiet, starting from around £150 plus figure in a bit extra for hose, fittings etc.

I bought a small portable (25L?) compressor years ago and it came in a kit, complete with a spray gun, nailer and a stapler. These accessories lay unused for a few years until I was doing a job that needed a 2nd fix nailer and (expecting it to be rubbish) I tried it. It’s now had a lot of use, still working perfectly and has never once jammed. I still haven’t tried either the spray gun or stapler.

I was looking at nail guns a little while ago and decided to get a small compressor and air nail gun instead of a cordless one. Glad that I did because I've added a 23g nail gun and tire inflator later for a modest sum.

silverline 18g 50mm nailer costs around £35

The Ryobi is around £165?

Compressors can be 'oil free' and quiet, starting from around £150 plus figure in a bit extra for hose, fittings etc.
I am always thinking about this option vs a couple of hikoki battery nailers.
Recently I could have done with a framing nailer and a second fix one. For years I have been thinking I just need a nailgun at various times. I have an 18 guage air nailer in the workshop but my compressor is not portable. So for on site work it's either battery gun ( I dislike paslodes ) or a small compressor and air nailer.
It's a very difficult decision and no option is cheap.
Will a small compressor power a 90mm framing nailer or will I end up needing a massive compressor ?
I like the fact air tools are cheaper and could add extras.
But, I like the fact a battery tool is just easy to get out it's box and use immediately, no trailing hoses etc.

It's tricky to decide so I have none at the moment.

Ollie

Back