Nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Just built a large shed and about to cover in 19mm Shiplap - was thinking about either buying/hiring a nailgun to make life easier.

I know nothing about them, so confused about what I need or if it would even be suitable for Shiplap.

I don't build many sheds so don't want to pay a fortune for something unless it could be used for other jobs other than installing Shiplap - lol.

Can anyone advise ?

Regards

if you have a compressor thats portable, i would get a gun for that to suit.

or you could hire a 2nd fix paslode from someone like hss, but i would guess it would be cheaper to buy an airgun providing you have the compressor of course.

I would use an airgun

I did so when i build my summercabin, it will make light work of a outherwize hard job

Joe Shmoe":30zbxzlh said:
Hi.

Just built a large shed and about to cover in 19mm Shiplap - was thinking about either buying/hiring a nailgun to make life easier.

I know nothing about them, so confused about what I need or if it would even be suitable for Shiplap.

I don't build many sheds so don't want to pay a fortune for something unless it could be used for other jobs other than installing Shiplap - lol.

Can anyone advise ?

Regards

get an air gun

i have s 6l compressor and a rexon nailer/stabler does the job for me its grate for fine nailing, once you have used one you will never look back at a hammer again

u can pick up rexon guns for £20, on the Ebay

and compressors for £30 and up, if you can stretch to it got for a bostitch compressor, they are a bit pricey but once you have it you will not part with it

ric

You really need a framing nailer or coil nailer. Something that fires a round head type nail. A pinner would be no use for nailing shiplap or any external cladding really. The timber movement would be to great to be held in place by brads.
For one shed i would just buy some loose galvanised ring shank nails and get cracking.

Mattty":3t78w6tx said:
You really need a framing nailer or coil nailer. Something that fires a round head type nail. A pinner would be no use for nailing shiplap or any external cladding really. The timber movement would be to great to be held in place by brads.
For one shed i would just buy some loose galvanised ring shank nails and get cracking.

Very therapeutic banging nails in!

Believe me! :lol:

Dibs

Doing a similar job, I used a second fix reconditioned Dewalt nailer with 50mm nails. I already have a large compressor but you could also run it off a small one if you didn't go too fast, or hire a gas powered one as stated.
Two other tips:

Prime and paint the boards before you nail them. You will do it very quickly on two tressles in the garden with a roller, especially if you use quick-drying paint.

Obviously work up from the bottom if you are using the shiplap horizontally. Tailor the first board so that it fits at the bottom , but the top is horizontal. Then make sure all the subsequent boards are pulled down tight on to the one below, as you nail them in place, otherwise you'll go inside and discover gaps where the boards are not straight (I used a screwdriver as a lever at each nailing point)

Brian

sorry for bringing up a very old thread
but im in that position now
i have a 50l+ tank compressor from my mechanics days so air is the way to go

i have around 600m of shiplap or whatever cladding i finalise on to do

is the clarke con15 any good as they have vat off just now

clarke con15 would do the job, I wouldn't buy it for all day everyday use, but for light use it would probably be ok.

would be for this project external cladding and possibly internal cladding when it gets done, and some lite work in the new extention when its built

works out £119 new with guarantee
now to work out nail size and spacing ;)

thanks

I have a multitude of Nailers, I have a 23g Pinner (Air), 18g Brad Nailer (Air), 18g Brad Nailer (Ryobi Airstrike), 16g Nailer (Ryobi Airstrile), 15g Nailer (Porter Cable Bammer) and a multiuse Bostitch PN50E Compact Palm Nailer (costs £33 from Amazon) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostitch-PN50E- ... er+bostich

This holds any ferrous nails and works great (once you get used to the violence of it) and would be the best suggestion for nailing shiplap without spending loads on a framing nailer. I have even tried it with some masonary nails and it worked okay with them too.

ooh like that
youtube has shown me what its like
is it really noisy when in use ?
not sure if neighbours would love me.

Titch":3v27yjr5 said:
ooh like that
youtube has shown me what its like
is it really noisy when in use ?
not sure if neighbours would love me.

Obviously noisier than a hammer, but much, much quicker, so the noise is just like a Woodpecker on steroids.

Titch":384ejbdo said:
now to work out nail size and spacing ;)

I do a lot of work with 12mm tongue and groove weatherboard and use 38mm ringshank. So you could think

about using 44mm with 19mm shiplap.

Got a couple of bostich coil guns at the weekend just need to learn how to control the depth. Might just turn the air pressure down ?

Latest posts

Back