nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvmsheds

Established Member
Reaction score
any body had any experience with nail gun ,on with some projects .Seem like they will do my job quicker etc thanks

bvmsheds":2zl1cmsl said:
any body had any experience with nail gun ,on with some projects .Seem like they will do my job quicker etc thanks

You may need to give more information as there are different types of nail gun and uses for them. Are you looking for big nails or little ones? Are you likely to use the thing in a workshop or out on site. Generally speaking they will definitely do the job quicker. How much are you wanting to spend? A framing nailer will be good for larger jobs, but not be good for pinning trim and vice versa.

Big, on site, we use a paslode, (350+ IIRC) Great kit, pays for itself in no time , but resist temptation to nail everything all the time - nails are expensive, AND they go in mighty tight!

I recently bought a generic Chinese 2nd-hand air framing nailer off EBay for around £70 (incl. nails) for building my workshop.

The recoil is immense, I found I sometimes fired 2 nails if I tried to keep my arm still (which is scary), the 75mm nails rarely went in fully (often leaving 10mm+ to hammer in), and they often seemed to bend and go in at a strange angle (toe-nailing studs at an angle was a pain). I probably spent more time correcting dodgy nails (as gregmcateer said, trying to remove ring-shank nails isn't easy) than I saved by using a nailer.

In short, my technique was probably poor, and the equipment might have been poor, but I wouldn't recommend a framing nailer unless you get a good one and do enough nailer for it to save you considerable time.

I now just use a hammer.

My new £30 stapler/brad air nailer, on the other hand, is a joy to use and saved me hours stapling breather membrane and nailing battens to walls. :)

Back