Nail Gun advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekytrucker

Reaction score
Hi,
I am fairly new to the use of air tools in my home garage and so far have been very impressed (3hp 160litre compressor, Impact gun, ratchet etc).
I now want to venture into the house with them.
I intend on purchasing a small compressor suitable for running a nail gun and probably some other diy over time. I have been looking at the SIP 24 Ltr 1.5hp Compressor which I think would do the job.
My main question is with regards a nail gun, I know absolutely nothing about them.
The first job I want to do is replace the door architrave and skirting boards around the house. The skirting I have is glued to the walls and keeps coming off, hence replace and nail. The walls are virtually all 'solid', concrete block walls.
What is the best type of air nailer to handle this...brad gage etc.

Many thanks for your time

If your walls are solid concrete, you will not be able to use the nailer.

It will be either plugs and screws
re-glue with a better glue
hammer fixings
if you talk about your architrave, then go for passlode (or similar) - i changed over from the pinner to this one and i'm very happy no hoses in the way no noisy of compressor and the unit is very light and easy to handle

but again cannot be used on solid brick/concrete walls

If you are thinking of nailing into concrete or brick walls then you can use a nailer. I have one that does exactly that and its what I use as a pro for fixing any skirting that's going to be painted. You need to get a gun called a tee nailer some like mine also take 15 gauge brads so can be also used for timber to timber fixing.

Bostitch do one but if I remember rightly mine is ace & k.

Chris

To chippy1970, how is that concrete block ace and k nailer. Thinking of buying the bostitch one but didnt know Ace & K done one aswell. I have a job to skirt and was wondering how well do they hold? Do you put a bead of gripfill behind aswell? Much easier than plug and screwing.
Cheers

Yeah lower the number the thicker the nail. 16ga is the standard finish nail that you will find in paslode, dewalt, bostitch etc. 18ga is for standard brad nails which are a bit more delicate then it goes down to headless pins.

Chippymart, yeah its great I've had about 8 years or more , they were the only ones back then but bostitch do them now. Mine takes 50 to 68 mm I think also maxi brads but not used them. It loves concrete blocks but sometimes struggles with very hard brick .I always use stixall on the back aswell. Stopped using gripfill years ago stixall is like sticks like s**t it doesn't skin like gripfill. If your doing mdf skirting one of these guns is a must.

Thanks for link chip. Funny was just looking at that very page before i came on here. Bostitch only go up to 50mm so this is defo a better option.
Mart.

Axminster also do an air masonary nailer, I bought one a couple of years ago and it has coped really well with the red brick of my 1940's semi. I would qualify this by saying I have nothing to compare it to and have not used it in a professional day in day out type environment. They have gone up a bit I think I paid about £60 for mine but I would still say worth a punt.

cheekytrucker":2p6exp9t said:
Hi,
I am fairly new to the use of air tools in my home garage and so far have been very impressed (3hp 160litre compressor, Impact gun, ratchet etc).
I now want to venture into the house with them.
I intend on purchasing a small compressor suitable for running a nail gun and probably some other diy over time. I have been looking at the SIP 24 Ltr 1.5hp Compressor which I think would do the job.
My main question is with regards a nail gun, I know absolutely nothing about them.
The first job I want to do is replace the door architrave and skirting boards around the house. The skirting I have is glued to the walls and keeps coming off, hence replace and nail. The walls are virtually all 'solid', concrete block walls.
What is the best type of air nailer to handle this...brad gage etc.

Many thanks for your time

I recently bought one of these below based on the recommendation of a joiner I know who has been using one for years.

http://deniswilsonofglenavy.co.uk/apach ... 13660.html

http://www.powertoolbiz.co.uk/apach-lt1 ... -50mm.html

I also have the Axminster one but the Apach uses nails with a neater head.

All the best,

Michael

many thanks for all the advice, just followed michaels advice and went for the apach...just as a small note, it is the same as Jefferson (Jefcn1) concrete nailer. Inside the case is the apach documentation with both the apach model number and the Jefferson model number.
Also, Michael could you tell me which brads you use as you have commented this gun has a neater head on its brads.

many thanks
Glenn

cheekytrucker":yklgbdcs said:
Also, Michael could you tell me which brads you use as you have commented this gun has a neater head on its brads.

many thanks
Glenn

Hello Glenn,

The nails for it have smaller heads than those for the Axminster masonry nailer. The latter have quite large T heads which admittedly get a good bite on the material you are fixing but leave a big hole. That isn't such an issue on timber that is to be painted but I, like many others prefer a smaller, neater and much less visible fixing. Just make sure that you buy the hardened nails for the Apach if you are driving into masonry and if you happen to have a Haldane Fishers yard near, you can get what you want there, usually Bostitch branded. Whoever you bought it from should have a good selection also.

All the best,

Michael

Cheers Michael,
I live in Dromore, we have a jp Corry here, if not will try haldene fisher in lisburn.
Many thanks for all the help,
G.

Latest posts

Back