N Ireland Members

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphatec

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am looking to find any other members who are based in N Ireland.
I am looking to pick thier brains with regards to suppliers for kiln dried wood and veneered MDF ect. I am based in the North west and seem to struggle when it comes to materials.
We also struggle buying equipment as a lot of it is priced on collection only in the UK not so handy if you have to get a boat.
I must emphasis this is for hobby use only.
Regards
Terry

Hiya Terry from 'Derry! I used to work in Dupont, round about the same time that chap Noah asked to borrow a saw to make a boat.

There are a few of us here in Norn Iron slowly poisoning ourselves with wood dust. The others may chime in as the mood takes them; we have a couple of very active Belfast members and one famous box maker who lurks, but doesn't post a lot that I come across.

In answer to your other question, I have no idea where in NW you could get good timber. McCauslands used to have a sawmill at Drenagh, Limavady, but I suspect it is mothballed. If you are willing to travel, the 'go-to' place is MacGregor's in Belfast, but Ocean Hardwoods in Larne, and tree surgeons like Large or Cunningham DO stock oak, beech, ash, etc. and may be easier to pay. I haven't bought stuff in a long time as I happened across a modest 'stash' years ago and I'm working my way through it.

PM me for further details if you're stuck; I keep an eye on things in 'Darry' as my father still lives up that way.

Sam

Hi Sam
Ex Duponter myself from a long line of Duponters I rememeber Noah asking you for the saw.

Travelling is not an issue I be in Antrim quite a lot so not a big hop to Belfast from there.
What you have sent me is ideal 2 or 3 companies i can visit in one day just to see who I'm talking to get prices ect.
It will be hobby use coffee tables, tv stands, dining tables I am hoping to use solid wood and oak in particular so I won't be making these sawmills rich.

Member here from near Antrim..cant help with the kiln dried wood query, on the tools side have you tried Denis Wilson in Glenavy, He has vans out on the road for delivery as well and is very keen to deal with

Based in Ballyclare, Co. Antrim myself but must admit I'm a lurker most of the time because I'm very much a beginner!

I can't help in terms of wood suppliers because I am lucky enough to get reclaimed wood from some family members that tides me over.

I get the impression by your post that you're looking for 2nd hand tools rather than new. I have had best luck with Gumtree and adverts(.ie), although there is also done deal (can't post links but they'll come up quick on Google). The latter two sites generally have stuff south of the border and the prices are in euro but you might score something good in Donegal.

If you are patient there are tools out there on the island: I managed to get a single phase Wadkin AGS after much searching and waiting.

Hi Allen
Thanks for you response.
Second hand cast iron preferably and you right about trying to stay this side of the water.

Cast iron for sale is a real rareity, to be sure, on our green and fractious isle. Wilson's auctions sometimes have w.w.'ing gear, but remember you have opposition bidding things up and then there is the auctioneer's slice on top, plus VAT...

I made friends with a trucker who sometimes had room in his 6 tonne box-bodied lorry. It was 'happy days' when I managed to get a Wadkin AGS, a 36"x10" metal lathe and a 6' high cast-iron-frame bandsaw home over a 30-month period. Provided his route passed close enough to where I'd located the item, we traded my woodie skills/time for his driving diversion. I got all three for just over £130(!), but trebled that replacing bearings and motors. Still worth it.

You CAN get carriers/couriers that will use the ferrys; I got a DeWalt 733 planer here for £55 and recently, its replacement Elecktra Beckum for about £75 - on a pallet. You just have to search and call around.

Sam

Hi Terry.

Just under Binevenagh, so not too far away.

Don't think there's much around your way regarding timber suppliers. Keys/Mcmahon have little although Murdock's might have some decent stock but not often. Jacobs in Coleraine is good, I get most of my stuff there. Good selection of hardwood and faced MDF. As Sammy mentioned, otherwise Belshaft.
If you're in the city give http://www.mcbridetools.com/ a shout in Mallusk, for me the best tool shop on the island.

And as Alan has mentioned, for machinery it's Gumtree or your local Buy & Sell on FB. Done Deal with the exchange at the moment is often a good bet. Wilsons Auctions in Mallusk sometimes have interesting stuff (as mentioned). Otherwise it's the usual story ref GB.

Drop me a line if you want to have a nosey around an untidy workshop.

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your reply.
Sam don't hold me to it but i may still have a few turning bits and pieces for your center lathe, was a toolmaker once upon a time not sure what is still there but will have a look.
Noel might take you up on your offer of a visit to see a dusty workshop.

Terry

That's a very kind offer Terry, thank you. I am in Limavady from time to time to check on my father, so if you are passing through on the way to chez Noel in Myroe, we may encounter each other? Alternatively, if you want to visit 'Gate 7' (McGregors was/is opposite the old gate for the shipyard) my shambolic shed ain't far away and I'm sure I could ply you with caffeine and poison you with teak dust :D .

Sam

Just thought I'd say hi, im a bit further down the country near Ballynahinch Co. Down, fortunate to be close to McCalls in Clough who have a good range of Veneered MDF, and a Hardwood shed that must be 2 or 3 football fields in length and a good variety of stock.

I've always found them easy to work with and the guys in the yard are very knowledgeable and helpful, they do deliver all over N.I and their websites easy to navigate although you'll need to phone them/email for a price, guessing it will have to be a largish order tho to offset the delivery cost.

They can process on site, if you ever find yourself down this way and need something split into smaller widths etc.

I do make a bit of furniture, but mainly lathe work and have got a bit of stock from a guy in Portglenone in the past but the majority I fell myself or get from from local tree surgeons.

Back