mystery saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Can anyone help to identify this saw please?
On the medallion which is quite large diameter aprox 1 1/8 " it says established 1770 The writing on the blade is almost ilegible see pic
Untitled-78.jpg

Untitled-79.jpg

cheers Mr Spanton :D

Can't help on the make, I'm afraid.
But I do have a suggestion as to how you might be able to improve the legibility. Try shining a UV light on it and see if that shows up anything. I know that they can sometimes identify stolen cars when the chassis number has been ground off, if they've not done a very thorough job.

Just a thought.

Looks like Richard Groves, later & Son and then later still & Sons. Hand-Saw Makers says 1787- 1911 in Sheffield, various addresses. "USE" was their mark (did the buyer really need such a hint?!) Looks like a good old'un to me - nice.

Cheers, Alf

Edit: I'll just wake up now and give the & Sons details #-o 1822-1911, Allen St (1822-1834), 71 Snow Lane (1833) & Shales Moor & 207 Moorfields, Bee Hive Works.

yes its a nice old saw especially the handle I think its apple wood or pear wood, very smooth and cool shame about the chip off the top horn :(
I have a few with no etch's just stamped names.

Hi Mr S

That handle is a beauty. The bottom bridge is so elegant and slender you'd never think that it was strong enough- but it clearly is.

Regards.

Back