Myford ML8 Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a ML8 about 34 years ago from a school. Mine is yellow-ish. They were then painted silver, and finally green before production stopped. The stands were painted to match. I also have a Myford / Drummond metal lathe and that had a seriously stuck chuck on when I bought it. A length of timber fixed to the chuck backplate and quite a few belts with a baulk of timber later - and it was still stuck solid. Someone had been trying before me and had stripped some teeth off the back gear in doing so. In the end some gentle heating enabled me to remove it with minimal force. It's a handy lathe because the spindle nose thread is the same as the ML8 so I can swap faceplates, chucks etc. I was thinking to try some ornamental turning with it - perhaps one of these days!! I also want to try thread cutting - again something for the future.

K

Make your own washers out of a plastic milk container. I've been doing it for years. It's probably the most hard wearing & consistent thickness plastic in everyday use.

Back