Myford ML8 and general turning questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all expect so much more for our money now don’t we, probably why we used to fix things instead of throwing them away. Despite what all us old guys say on here about buying good quality secondhand equipment the trend is for "trouble-free" new bits of kit. Ian

"Trouble free" and "new" often shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

That's why I like the old machine, you know they'll give you trouble but once you've ironed out all the creases you've usually got a machine that far surpasses anything you could buy now for the equivalent amount of money.

Take my Multico Thicknesser for example, I paid £450 for it, put another £300 into it and a couple of hours sorting it out and I've basically got a near-perfect machine.

WIJy7y0.jpg

Sure, not everyone's got the skills to do that, initially, and they'll opt for a new machine. I never had the skills to do it, I just learned by doing it and figuring it out as I went. "Yes, but I could buy a brand new lunchbox thicknesser for £300!", we'll see which one is still in service in 100 years time :cool:

The play in the tail stock mounting is not really that important when you just mount and make something. It can be a PITA when you want to remove/remount an item and a perfect realignment is required.

I would offer to help as you are only a few miles away but unfortunately I am a beginner too.
I found Keith Rowley’s book “Woodturning - A foundation course” is a good place to start and suggest you try to get a copy if you can’t get on a course In the near future.
There are also loads of videos on Youtube but pick and choose carefully as I found some advice on there isn’t that good. One exception is Axminster who have been doing turning videos with Colwin Wey twice a week during lockdown and these could be a good place to start.
However, I think it is hard to replace learning from someone else so enrolled short course at Warwickshire College which I found very helpful, then it’s a case of practice, practice and more practice (which I get hardly any time to do).
Finally, if you need a faceplate for the ML8, I have one I think will fit it (1”x12tpi from memory). It is gathering dust in the junk drawer as it doesn’t fit anything I have so you can have it for nowt.
HamsterJam - if skeetstar doesn’t take you up on your faceplate offer I would be happy to buy it off you. The one that came with ML8 I’ve just bought has a worn thread that won’t fit on the shaft due to both having worn badly.
Thanks Dave

HamsterJam - if skeetstar doesn’t take you up on your faceplate offer I would be happy to buy it off you. The one that came with ML8 I’ve just bought has a worn thread that won’t fit on the shaft due to both having worn badly.
Thanks Dave

No problem.
It is 6” diameter and a little corroded but should be perfectly serviceable after a clean. The thread looks good. I stress I think it is 1” x 12tpi. It doesn’t fit my 1” 8tpi spindle and I counted six threads over approx 13mm thread length (although it is not easy to measure accurately) so I think I have it right. It was with my late Dads Record lathe but no idea why as that has a 3/8“ spindle.🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• B07B1868-4ADC-4CFC-9C38-534FEA11DE4C.jpeg
    B07B1868-4ADC-4CFC-9C38-534FEA11DE4C.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A613AD67-CE58-4151-AC48-19EA5915D596.jpeg
    A613AD67-CE58-4151-AC48-19EA5915D596.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 0AF018C6-B950-4C19-86B1-1D7AB6109B2A.jpeg
    0AF018C6-B950-4C19-86B1-1D7AB6109B2A.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 5
No problem.
It is 6” diameter and a little corroded but should be perfectly serviceable after a clean. The thread looks good. I stress I think it is 1” x 12tpi. It doesn’t fit my 1” 8tpi spindle and I counted six threads over approx 13mm thread length (although it is not easy to measure accurately) so I think I have it right. It was with my late Dads Record lathe but no idea why as that has a 3/8“ spindle.🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks HamsterJam, I’m new to this forum so not sure best way to contact you regards buying the faceplate, can give you my mobile or email if that’s ok?
Thanks
Dave

Hamsterjam, sorry no response earlier., please forgive me.
I have enough mounting plates for the lathe, for both sides of the headstock.
Thanks, though, for your generous offer.

Hamsterjam, sorry no response earlier., please forgive me.
I have enough mounting plates for the lathe, for both sides of the headstock.
Thanks, though, for your generous offer.
No problem. DayTay has taken the face plate off my hands.
Good luck with your turning.

Latest posts

Back